You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which CollectA Mapusaurus do you prefer?

Started by DinoToyForum, May 10, 2012, 04:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which version of the CollectA Mapusaurus do you prefer?

The prototype
40 (74.1%)
The final model
14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Simon on May 10, 2012, 10:11:17 PM
Long winded post deleted.

Anyhow, I wrote them a longish letter via Facebook and their website, incorporating what everyone has said in this thread.  Now we wait for Collecta's response (if they even care what a few collectors think.)

I tell you, I'll think twice before being the first one to order one of their new figures.

Sad to say but I was thinking the same thing. :/

ZoPteryx

I actually kind of like the "new" Mapusaurus's thicker neck and tail (thicker in profile I mean, not in girth).  But, yeah, the legs are just too short and the arms are worse, so I voted for the prototype.

Primeval12

Anyhow, I wrote them a longish letter via Facebook and their website, incorporating what everyone has said in this thread.  Now we wait for Collecta's response (if they even care what a few collectors think.)

I tell you, I'll think twice before being the first one to order one of their new figures.

Let's all E mail to CollectA and say we want both Mapusaurus released

Takama

Quote from: primeval12 on May 11, 2012, 01:48:43 AM

I just did that. I also told them that i speak for this forum

Primeval12

Quote from: Takama on May 11, 2012, 01:51:08 AM

Gwangi

The prototype of course. I would buy the prototype, I won't buy the actual release.

Takama

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 10, 2012, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: Seijun on May 10, 2012, 07:29:49 PM
Remember that ebay seller who was selling Collectas early? Does anyone know if he sold any Mapusaurs?

Yes, he did.

40 Friggen dollars total.

that's almost 6 times as much as what it would be selling for. (comparing with the place holder on Dejankins)

then again, A higher price might signal a diffrent version, look at Dans listing, heck its even marked deluxe
http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-Dliebman2/-strse-475/Mapusaurus-Deluxe-by-CollectA/Detail.bok
but then again, that could be a mistake that might be resolved once its in his stock

Brontozaurus

I kind of like the second Mapusaurus a bit more than the prototype. Dinosaurs were most likely not as skinny as people like Greg Paul illustrate them, and I like it when reconstructions put more flesh on the bones. That said, it seems like the legs weren't altered to fit the newer body, so it badly affects the figure on the whole.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Metallisuchus

I prefer the first, though I don't like the arms on either version.

SBell

Quote from: Takama on May 11, 2012, 01:51:08 AM

Isn't that kind of presumptuous? Perhaps it's because I am used to working with formal Boards and such, but it seems to me it would be prudent to somehow be assigned a mandate before taking on a role as 'speaker' for us.

Me, I think the direction of heavier, less anorexic dinos isn't a bad thing.

ZoPteryx

Quote from: SBell on May 11, 2012, 05:06:50 AM
Me, I think the direction of heavier, less anorexic dinos isn't a bad thing.

Me too, especially for the very big dinos.

Simon

That really isn't the point because we are not comparing two figures of similar quality. 

The fat figure is simply badly sculpted and has a number of errors that are unforgiveable, given that the prototype - which may be a bit thin in a couple of body areas - did not have them. 

If they had turned out a fat version of the same quality as the original sculpt this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

SBell

Quote from: Simon on May 11, 2012, 05:59:41 AM
That really isn't the point because we are not comparing two figures of similar quality. 

The fat figure is simply badly sculpted and has a number of errors that are unforgiveable, given that the prototype - which may be a bit thin in a couple of body areas - did not have them. 

If they had turned out a fat version of the same quality as the original sculpt this thread wouldn't have been necessary.

The real point is his claim to 'speak' for all of us. The rest was my assertion that the figure doesn't bother me so much, and so actually fails to speak for me (and by the poll, for 25% of the members here...).

Bokisaurus

Quote from: SBell on May 11, 2012, 06:26:28 AM
Quote from: Simon on May 11, 2012, 05:59:41 AM

The real point is his claim to 'speak' for all of us. The rest was my assertion that the figure doesn't bother me so much, and so actually fails to speak for me (and by the poll, for 25% of the members here...).

That is very true, to each his own I guess ;D Actually, the more I look at the second version, the more I like it, its starting to grow on me.

John

I voted for the final version.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Meso-Cenozoic

I voted for the first one/prototype. It is definitely a better sculpt. You know, after looking at Dan's pic that was posted earlier here, I wonder if online stores should change their pic. This second version is so different, some customers might claim false advertising and the stores might be stuck with a lot of returns and refunds. Hmm. ???

Even with some definite improvements this year (granted, they still have many questionable details included on the 2012 entries), CollectA still manages to majorly disappoint me. I realize that the final figures are always a bit different than their prototypes. But this guy is really a completely different sculpt! They're just so inconsistent still. The Neovenator on the other hand looks almost exactly like its prototype. Unfortunately, I had to exchange my first one because the legs were so bowed inward, it wouldn't even stand with its plastic base insert. The second one I got wasn't much better! After then looking through his whole lot of these, Dean at DeJankins told me he discovered that they all looked to be badly bowed in the legs. >:(

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in the second pic, isn't the prototype still on the left, in back of the new version on the right in front? Which would make the prototype on the left in both pics, not "vice versa in the second pic". Right? (Sorry. OCD kicking in! :P)

tyrantqueen

The first one is admittedly better. I like the head better on the first one also. The body structure almost reminds me of the Battat theropods (yes I know blasphemy)

I like the tail on the second one. That's about it :/

Will CollectA even listen to us? Have they ever listened to their fans in the past? Perhaps they could release both, as a male and female XDDD

Bokisaurus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on May 11, 2012, 11:57:22 AM
The first one is admittedly better. I like the head better on the first one also. The body structure almost reminds me of the Battat theropods (yes I know blasphemy)

Will CollectA even listen to us? Have they ever listened to their fans in the past? Perhaps they could release both, as a male and female XDDD

You never know, if CollectA receive enough request to release the original version in addition to this one, they might just. When they did a poll last year about their two Sable antelope prototype, and both look amazing, fans beg to have both versions released instead of just one. So they listen, and they did release the two versions, they just converted the second one into a female sable antelope. So who knows? They do listen, but according to CollectA, the second version of this figures is the more "accurate" one of the two.  They said that they increased the muscles in the tail and neck area, and changed the hand (remember when people complained about the hand being too splayed?  >:D)
Anyway, I'm no dinosaur expert, but who knows what info they based their decision to revise this model.
With the Rhomaleosaur, they delayed the release of it and send the prototype back for revisions so it is more accurate. One never knows >:D

Takama

Yes they have listend to us.

We kept bashing them for there cartonish sculpts, now there making some more accurate ones, despite the few flaws here and there.

SBell

Quote from: Takama on May 11, 2012, 05:09:55 PM

Yes they have listend to us.

We kept bashing them for there cartonish sculpts, now there making some more accurate ones, despite the few flaws here and there.

That had nothing to do with us--that had to do with bringing an artist (Anthony Beeson) on board, and actually (mostly) listening to him. If anything, he is the one who responds to our comments, not CollectA.  I am able to get in touch with him, but generally don't presume to speak for any particular group.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: