You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which CollectA Mapusaurus do you prefer?

Started by DinoToyForum, May 10, 2012, 04:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which version of the CollectA Mapusaurus do you prefer?

The prototype
40 (74.1%)
The final model
14 (25.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

DinoToyForum

Photos posted by Mauro "Raptor86" in the 2012 thread.

The prototype at left, the final model at right (and vice versa in the second pic).

sauroid

i prefer the first, slimmer figure (the prototype).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I posted this skeletal in the 2012 figures section :

Should be more like the Safari/ Carnegie Giga I think ..quite a bit less bulky.

I have a theory though..maybe they wanted it to look more like the Planet Dinosaur one ?

It seems to be a bit more bulky based on pics I've found.

Simon

Cheese and Crackers, the side view really shows what a disaster the second figure is - from the excessive bulkiness, the misplaced and too long arms, the misshapen legs and feet, and the coup de grace - the too short lower jaw, which is not present in the prototype.  Every time I look at that profile of the second version I am reminded of the Hindenburg disaster.

Someone must have taken a look at the godawful TRex with Ornithomimid and said - let's make it like THAT!  Yeah, that's the ticket!

Memo to Mr. Beeson:  "NOT!"

Since you already have the prototype, if you want the Mapusaurus to sell, you would do well to stop producing the crappy one and shift gears back to the first one.  Otherwise this will be a giant step backwards on Collecta's recent improvements in accuracy.  (My God, what were they thinking?  Don't they run these past a number of folks before they send it for production?  I expect the vote here will be dang near 100% for the first version!)

Simon

Adam - the link on Facebook to this thread wasn't working when I clicked on it a few minutes ago ...

Horridus

Honestly, I like the slimmer one, but that might just be because I'm used to seeing Paulian, highly gracile dinosaurs. Neither are strictly anatomically correct, of course. I can imagine some people are going to prefer the bulked-out version.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Wildheart

It looks as if the prototype was an original figurine and the original a Salvat bad copy. :-\

Simon

Wildheart - *OUCH*  You hit the nail on the head. 

Nothing more need be said about the second Mapusaurus.   *yuck*

DinoFan45

Well, I kinda like both. The thin one is more accurate, but kinda looks like Allosaurus. The fatter one seems more like a bear in all honesty.mits bigger, bulkier, and all around more dangerous. But that's just me ranting on again. One of the things about the fatter one though is the arms look like made them funny, and they bend out a little more than I like.
"Life will find a way."

Simon

Infidel    ;)

DinoFan45

But hey, if they released both, I wouldn't complain. It would be interesting to compare them, and if needed, the bulkier one could be repainted and named something else, either by company or those who paint.
"Life will find a way."

Seijun

Remember that ebay seller who was selling Collectas early? Does anyone know if he sold any Mapusaurs?
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Roselaar

I was really disappointed with the final model I received this week. It sucks to see the prototype is so much different, and way cooler. I really don't understand the reasons for the design change.   :-\

anchry6

DinoFan45

New theory: they accidentally used the new rexs's body. The two released fairly close together, so it's quite possible it's an accident.
"Life will find a way."

postsaurischian

Quote from: Simon on May 10, 2012, 05:58:57 PM
Every time I look at that profile of the second version I am reminded of the Hindenburg disaster.

;D ;D ..... exactly!

postsaurischian

Quote from: Seijun on May 10, 2012, 07:29:49 PM
Remember that ebay seller who was selling Collectas early? Does anyone know if he sold any Mapusaurs?

Yes, he did.

Seijun

I mean did he sell any before they were released. It was mentioned that the ones he was selling prior to official release were probably prototype versions, but at the time it was said that any differences would most likely be very minor at best.
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Primeval12

I like the slimmer one better but i want them both

Simon

Long winded post deleted.

Anyhow, I wrote them a longish letter via Facebook and their website, incorporating what everyone has said in this thread.  Now we wait for Collecta's response (if they even care what a few collectors think.)

I tell you, I'll think twice before being the first one to order one of their new figures.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: