News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Spinosaurid’s nasal crests

Started by Concavenator, May 04, 2019, 12:14:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Even though all spinosaurids had nasal crests, I have seen many ways of representing these, from triangular shaped, to rounded... and so on.Which is the most correct way to represent nasal crests on spinosaurids?

Halichoeres

It seems to me that whatever bony portion of the crest is preserved is the minimum size/shape of the crest in life, but it very likely would have had some keratin overlying it. I think there's plenty of room for speculation around that basic shape, which already varies among the taxa whose skulls are preserved.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoguy2

In pterosaurs, the bony part of the crest is often less than a quarter of the true height. Not saying that's the case for spinosaurids, but you never know...
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.