News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Article on renovations at the Peabody, Yale

Started by ceratopsian, November 12, 2020, 02:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Newt

ceratopsian

I'd love to too - one day, if travel is ever an option once more for older people like me!

Quote from: Newt on November 12, 2020, 03:00:22 PM
Ooh, nice! I hope I get to see that someday.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I can't say I'm looking forward to it. These types of overhauls take away much of the interest from older exhibits, in my opinion. They're over lit, less dense, and of course the classic models are taken off exhibit, as was done in the Smithsonian. I wanted to drive up there last year before they closed but unfortunately due to short notice didn't make it. Hopefully the new exhibit keeps a sense of character when it re-opens. I'm sure I'll go visit even if I do prefer the old hall.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CityRaptor

Well, they will obviously keep their most famous outdated thing, the iconic Age of Reptiles mural. And that's good.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Pachyrhinosaurus

Yes I am glad that's staying up. I believe the Age of Mammals mural will remain as well.
Save Dinoland USA!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 12, 2020, 06:46:01 PM
I can't say I'm looking forward to it. These types of overhauls take away much of the interest from older exhibits, in my opinion. They're over lit, less dense, and of course the classic models are taken off exhibit, as was done in the Smithsonian. I wanted to drive up there last year before they closed but unfortunately due to short notice didn't make it. Hopefully the new exhibit keeps a sense of character when it re-opens. I'm sure I'll go visit even if I do prefer the old hall.

I also like densely packed displays of fossils, but from my time working in museums I think that most visitors find that somewhat foreign or even intimidating.

I also missed a chance to see the Peabody last summer because on my New England road trip I happened to be in New Haven on a Monday, when the museum is closed. Pretty disappointing.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

My experience from working in a museum (not fossils though) is similar.  If you overwhelm people with too much in the way of densely packed cases and exhibits, they tend to take less away from the experience (and often stay less time too).  I'm not advocating stripping back exhibits to virtually nothing of course - it's a question of finding a balance that will display and explain exhibits clearly.  It's always worth remembering that most people who visit public displays are not experts in whatever they're looking at.  The knack is trying to create an exhibition space where both the knowledgeable visitor and the one who is fresh to the subject will both be satisfied.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Interesting thoughts. As someone who likes to see everything an exhibit has to offer, I can see how more casual museum-goers get overwhelmed.  It is disappointing though when so many interesting exhibits are taken off display.

To me, this just looks more appealing than the renderings:
Save Dinoland USA!

ceratopsian

I'm just like you when I visit an exhibition or gallery. Same with archaeological sites too. I always get left far behind by friends or husband because they pick and choose and skim, while I methodically work my way round in detail. Then when I come up for air, to my surprise my companion is nowhere in sight. They have been known to have taken refuge in the cafe!  I once found myself alone at the first major building at Persepolis when the IT colleague with me gave up waiting and wandered off. But I know that the vast majority of visitors are not like me!

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on November 14, 2020, 04:39:05 PM
Interesting thoughts. As someone who likes to see everything an exhibit has to offer, I can see how more casual museum-goers get overwhelmed.  It is disappointing though when so many interesting exhibits are taken off display.

To me, this just looks more appealing than the renderings:

laticauda

I totally agree that most people do not take the time to read the information that is presented.

I used to go to the museums in the area a lot with school groups and summer camp kids.  I always got a laugh at the fact that the other adults and kids were amazed at how much information I knew about each exhibit.  I love to say all my knowledge came from my own memory, but some of it came from the fact I just read the information on the plaque first before speaking about it with my group of kids.  None of the other teachers or adults did that.  I would hear some, shall we say, misinformation, as they would be talking out of their ...  All they had to do is take two seconds and read, then think over the information before opening their mouth. 

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.