You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

What 5 ornithischians would you like Safari to make?

Started by Sim, December 12, 2020, 07:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose up to five ornithischians you'd like Safari to make

Achelousaurus
1 (1.6%)
Borealopelta
7 (11.5%)
Camptosaurus
12 (19.7%)
Centrosaurus
20 (32.8%)
Chasmosaurus
13 (21.3%)
Corythosaurus
7 (11.5%)
Edmontonia
0 (0%)
Edmontosaurus annectens
4 (6.6%)
Euoplocephalus
4 (6.6%)
Heterodontosaurus
10 (16.4%)
Huayangosaurus
2 (3.3%)
Hypacrosaurus new version
8 (13.1%)
Kosmoceratops
5 (8.2%)
Kritosaurus
3 (4.9%)
Kulindadromeus
17 (27.9%)
Leptoceratops new version
3 (4.9%)
Lexovisaurus
2 (3.3%)
Liaoningosaurus
3 (4.9%)
Maiasaura
14 (23%)
Muttaburrasaurus
12 (19.7%)
Ouranosaurus
29 (47.5%)
Panoplosaurus
3 (4.9%)
Pentaceratops
6 (9.8%)
Protoceratops
11 (18%)
Scelidosaurus
9 (14.8%)
Shantungosaurus
10 (16.4%)
Stygimoloch
1 (1.6%)
Tenontosaurus
10 (16.4%)
Thescelosaurus
6 (9.8%)
Torosaurus
12 (19.7%)
Tsintaosaurus
7 (11.5%)
Udanoceratops
9 (14.8%)
Zuul
10 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Ezikot

I voted for
Ouranosaurus - there isn't one that I'm happy with (Battat's is quite rare)
Protoceratops - the velociraptor needs his friend :D

(I add that Safari in my mind means Doug Watson. I'm a big fan of his sculpts)

John

Camptosaurus,Centrosaurus,Chasmosaurus,Maiasaura &Torosaurus :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ezikot on December 17, 2020, 04:25:10 PM

Same. He has hinted elsewhere that he may retire in the next few years, and I wonder how well Safari will hold up once that happens.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 28, 2020, 03:11:31 PM

Same. He has hinted elsewhere that he may retire in the next few years, and I wonder how well Safari will hold up once that happens.

Well, if they acquire the services of whoever did the Diplodocus, the Giganotosaurus, the Kronosaurus, the Malawisaurus, and the upcoming Spinosaurus (I have no idea if it's the same person or multiple ones), then I reckon Safari would hold up very well. That said, it certainly will be sad (but understandable) when Doug retires. Nobody holds a candle to his ceratopsians, not even PNSO. And it's not just the sculpting itself; it's the way Doug manages to capture a certain twinkle in their eyes and expressions that make them seem alive.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

It will be a terrible loss if Doug Watson retires or retires not only for Safari but for the world of toy dinosaur brands for years to come, although I sincerely understand his attitude that he has the right to retire and the right to rest and the right to life, although you have to have faith that other sculptors will continue their example as paleo-sculptor and as I say, life goes on.

It is better that we find out that Doug Watson decides as he has already commented to let dinosaurs work, that is to say that he retires, that we find out that he gets sick or dies as happened to the great Dan LoRusso that would be sad. You always have to look at the positive side of things.

Faelrin

I agree it would be bittersweet when he retires, as I too am a major fan of his sculpts and sculpting style. However I think his retirement is well earned as well. He certainly deserves to have it when he feels it is time.

It also does open the door for another sculptor, rather it being one that worked with them in the past, or even a new one that we may love just the same.

I suppose I should also mention I truly appreciate him being around here, in that we can engage in discussions about things. I really appreciate the many questions he's answered for me and others over the years. I have learned a lot such as the belly integument of Triceratops, for example.

It makes the figures feel less distant to me and sentimental, that they are not just products from some (distant) corporation, because you can be aware there is a person (if not team) behind their design, but also get to know them a bit. I suppose that's true for all figures, but most are not engaged with the collectors or their fans, and many still are anonymous. I feel the same way with David Silva's stuff (with the addition of meeting him in person twice), and the Battat figures with Dan, despite his passing and being too late to talk with him, but at least what was in the past can still be revisited here.

On topic of the poll I suppose I am a little surprised how well Ouranosaurus is doing but I am glad to see it. I think the best one out there is the Battat one but it isn't easy to come by these days. It is also one of my childhood favorite ornithischians, from one of those vintage and beautifully illustrated stories on them (or maybe it focused on Spinosaurus, but I haven't had the chance to read it since I was 10 probably).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

Oops sorry delete please.

Stegotyranno420

Sorry, I got the instructions mixed up. Don't ask how, I have a problem with reading things too fast

SidB

Quote from: suspsy on December 28, 2020, 03:30:49 PM

Well, if they acquire the services of whoever did the Diplodocus, the Giganotosaurus, the Kronosaurus, the Malawisaurus, and the upcoming Spinosaurus (I have no idea if it's the same person or multiple ones), then I reckon Safari would hold up very well. That said, it certainly will be sad (but understandable) when Doug retires. Nobody holds a candle to his ceratopsians, not even PNSO. And it's not just the sculpting itself; it's the way Doug manages to capture a certain twinkle in their eyes and expressions that make them seem alive.
It's true. For me, ceratopsians = Doug Watson (though I do like PNSO's).

Halichoeres

Some of those are quite good, but I do think they're less consistently good than Watson's sculpts. It they keep up his practice of consulting with working paleontologists, that would go a long way toward keeping the quality high.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

suspsy

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 29, 2020, 08:51:01 PM

Some of those are quite good, but I do think they're less consistently good than Watson's sculpts. It they keep up his practice of consulting with working paleontologists, that would go a long way toward keeping the quality high.

I forgot to include the Amargasaurus and the Anzu in my list. I don't consider any of them to be on par to Doug's work, but I definitely consider them among the very best dinosaur toys currently available on the market. Certainly better than anything Schleich or Papo puts out these days.

In any case, I believe Doug stated that he'll still be around for a few years yet.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.