News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fixing Paint Scuffs

Started by Concavenator, January 19, 2021, 10:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I have a Safari (2017) Tyrannosaurus that has paint scuffs all over. It's a figure that will never stand and because of that and all the times it's fallen over (and also because it's hefty) it's gotten white scuffs that are very annoying. My Eofauna Atlasaurus also has a paint scuff (a small scuff on the snout), since I unpacked it  :'( and it bugs me as well. If there was a way I could touch these up to make the scuffs look less noticeable I would be interested. All I currently have when it comes to paint are just marker pens but I doubt these would be an option. Any advice?

I would like to fix these, because those two are of course some of the best figures in my collection. Specially I would like to fix the T.rex, all of my Safari figures that are on display with it on the shelf are pristine, and then there's the T.rex with white scuffs all over (and they're very noticeable since it has the fiery red plumage)  :-\

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Narutoceratops on January 19, 2021, 10:05:15 PM
I have a Safari (2017) Tyrannosaurus that has paint scuffs all over. It's a figure that will never stand and because of that and all the times it's fallen over (and also because it's hefty) it's gotten white scuffs that are very annoying. My Eofauna Atlasaurus also has a paint scuff (a small scuff on the snout), since I unpacked it  :'( and it bugs me as well. If there was a way I could touch these up to make the scuffs look less noticeable I would be interested. All I currently have when it comes to paint are just marker pens but I doubt these would be an option. Any advice?

I would like to fix these, because those two are of course some of the best figures in my collection. Specially I would like to fix the T.rex, all of my Safari figures that are on display with it on the shelf are pristine, and then there's the T.rex with white scuffs all over (and they're very noticeable since it has the fiery red plumage)  :-\
You maybe able to fix it with ease, but it depends on the area. Can you show a picture

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Narutoceratops on January 19, 2021, 10:05:15 PM

Use watered down acrylic paints. This way you can slowly build it up with thin layers until you're happy. Very easy to do and basically fool-proof.

Concavenator

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno I don't know how to post pics now. I used to use Photobucket, but it doesn't work anymore. I have no clue how can I post pics now.

P @PumperKrickel so I would need to get a brush and acrylics, and then take a bowl with water and mix the acrylics there? Is that what you are trying to say?

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Narutoceratops on January 20, 2021, 10:51:42 AM
so I would need to get a brush and acrylics, and then take a bowl with water and mix the acrylics there? Is that what you are trying to say?

Pretty much. I would probably mix the acrylics in the bowl and have a glass of water next to it. You won't need much water, it's basically enough if the brush is a little wet, but not dripping. The acrylics don't need to be fancy, cheap stuff will do. Make sure you have tissues or an old towel or something ready to remove excess paint if necessary.

Concavenator

Quote from: PumperKrickel on January 20, 2021, 11:12:58 AMmix the acrylics in the bowl and have a glass of water next to it.
Mix the acrylics?  ??? I had just thought of using red paint for the Tyrannosaurus and blue paint for the Atlasaurus' snout. Why would you mix the colors?

PumperKrickel

Quote from: Narutoceratops on January 20, 2021, 12:53:29 PM
Why would you mix the colors?

To get a closer match to the original colors. Not strictly a necessary step with this technique, but most colors are a little too vibrant out of the tube and need to be darkened or muted a bit. Just do what feels right.  ;)

Dusty Wren

Because the red or blue paint you buy may not match the model's paint job straight out of the tube. You may need to add white or another color to get a match. It's a good idea to paint some test swatches on paper before you paint the model, just so you can see what the color looks like when it's dry.
Check out my customs thread!

Concavenator

Alright, thank you to both of you!  ^-^

Stegotyranno420

avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops btw if you want to post photos now, use postimages. i use postimages, much better than photobucket and its completley free!

Concavenator

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on January 21, 2021, 08:51:18 AM
avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops btw if you want to post photos now, use postimages. i use postimages, much better than photobucket and its completley free!

Thanks, I'll look into that!  :)

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.