News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Possible Yowie: Lost Kingdoms revival

Started by austrosaurus, June 16, 2020, 12:52:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

austrosaurus

I recently messaged the official Yowie instagram page (their account is @yowieworld for anyone interested) asking about the possibility of a new Lost Kingdoms series being included in the revived line. They answered that they don't currently have any plans for a new Lost Kingdoms series, but that the idea would be passed on to the people responsible for making product decisions. This is exciting because the new Yowie products are single-piece toys with much higher production quality than the old snap-together models, so seeing some obscure Australian species produced for the line would be fantastic.

Halichoeres

That sounds like a pretty stock, noncommittal response, to be honest. But maybe if they get enough people pestering them, they'll really consider it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reuben03

Quote from: austrosaurus on June 16, 2020, 12:52:48 PM
I recently messaged the official Yowie instagram page (their account is @yowieworld for anyone interested) asking about the possibility of a new Lost Kingdoms series being included in the revived line. They answered that they don't currently have any plans for a new Lost Kingdoms series, but that the idea would be passed on to the people responsible for making product decisions. This is exciting because the new Yowie products are single-piece toys with much higher production quality than the old snap-together models, so seeing some obscure Australian species produced for the line would be fantastic.
some accurate little obscure prehistoric fish/sharks/spiny sharks/ratfish would make my day, and my fossil/dinosaur toy shelf way better.

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Halichoeres

Good news, A @austrosaurus
Yowie is running a survey to choose the 8th series of Yowie figures. One of the options is prehistoric/dinosaurs. I chose that one and made a point to note that what I loved about the old Lost Kingdoms series is that they highlighted so many oddball taxa, especially the invertebrates and fish.

Here's the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/62FMY69
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Faelrin

Thanks for sharing that survey. I choose Prehistoric though I also mentioned I would be all for any extinct Australian animals as well. I mentioned that I liked many of the obscure or neglected (mostly Australian) animals in the older Lost Kingdoms series and mentioned specifically I would like to see Thylacoleo, moas, and the Haast's eagle. I also mentioned my interest in the Paleozoic and Cenozoic and also mentioned that the Lost Kingdoms Anomalocaris is one of my favorites in my collection (which is why it is also still my profile pic after all this time here).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Reuben03

filled out the survey and highlighted the importance of obscure marine taxa

Placoderms
Pycnodonts
Acanthodians
weird fish need more representation, and not just the famous weird fish either like dunkleosteus

indohyus

Survey done! Would love to see them bring it back. We just have to buy as many as we can so they bring out more.

stoneage

:)  I took the survey.  Does anyone have pictures of what the newer Yowie figures look like?

Halichoeres

Quote from: stoneage on January 22, 2021, 12:34:56 AM
:)  I took the survey.  Does anyone have pictures of what the newer Yowie figures look like?

S @stoneage Here's a photo of some of the more recent Yowies. They're definitely more realistic than the ones from back in the day, although they certainly aren't up to Kaiyodo standards, for example.

Reuben03

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 27, 2021, 05:22:42 PM

S @stoneage Here's a photo of some of the more recent Yowies. They're definitely more realistic than the ones from back in the day, although they certainly aren't up to Kaiyodo standards, for example.
is it just me who prefers the comic charm of the older ones?

SBell

Quote from: Reuben03 on February 27, 2021, 06:55:16 PM

I tend to agree--the original models have a distinct charm to them; by the last series (the Forgotten Friends) they had seemed to really figure out how to balance their stylized form with a better sense of 'realism' (best seen in the various versions of the Thylacine).
The current single-piece ones are well made, but they come across as more 'generic' animal figures (and later series were just reissued Nayab figures anyway, and not the good ones).

Lanthanotus

We`ve been in Australia in the 2019/2020 winter and bought a fair few Yowie eggs. Figures were from the Wild Water Series and another I do not recall the name, but all species we got, were very well made and most of species, you hardly find any other version of, like the Colugo, Giant Cuttlefish, Atlantic Wolffish, giant Otter... I am currently preparing some reviews for the ATB, because I deem them well worth it.

However, I agree that the above shown are a downgrade to the ones I mentioned and do certainly lack the charm of the older, build up figures.

terrorchicken

Stegotyranno420

While I disagree, I do understand where you are coming from. Its like how lots of folks will prefer  old Disney over those new live action ones, even though most will agree the latter looks more better and realistic. But it doesn't have the charm

*I am NOT one of those Disney fans(old or new) and i wish not to be classified as such*

Also its so great to have you back avatar_Reuben03 @Reuben03   :D :D

Halichoeres

Quote from: SBell on February 27, 2021, 07:54:56 PM

I tend to agree--the original models have a distinct charm to them; by the last series (the Forgotten Friends) they had seemed to really figure out how to balance their stylized form with a better sense of 'realism' (best seen in the various versions of the Thylacine).
The current single-piece ones are well made, but they come across as more 'generic' animal figures (and later series were just reissued Nayab figures anyway, and not the good ones).

I mean, but those are two distinct products. The chocolate eggs are as good as ever, some nice invertebrates, fishes , amphibians, and oddball mammals. The gummies are re-used figures, but they're still making original figures for the eggs. And it was pretty clear from the poll that it was for the 8th egg series, suggesting the 7th is already planned out.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.