You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Argentinean paleontologist José Bonaparte died

Started by Carnotaurus, February 19, 2020, 05:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnotaurus

Hello folks, i thought this sad new is important for you as dinofans. When i was a kid i dreamt on being a paleontologist because of Bonaparte and his discoveries in Patagonia, Carnotaurus and Amargasaurus being my favorites.
Sorry i could not find a article in English for you:

https://www.eldiariodemadryn.com/2020/02/fallecio-el-paleontologo-jose-bonaparte/

Libraraptor

Sorry to hear that. He was one of my idols in the time I dreamed of becoming a palaeontologists. He had focussed on South America, a country which was quite exotic with strange species for a young dinosaur fan. Rest in peace, Mr.  Bonaparte!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I saw a post on Facebook, it is terrible news indeed. We often know the discovery's without thinking of those who discovered them, I'm sorry to say I'm no different. However I am sad I don't know more about him.

Shonisaurus

You just gave me bad news. José Bonaparte was the teacher of paleontology teachers and was honestly one of the best paleontologists in the world. I have books by that author, and honestly paleontology is in mourning. Sad news.

The positive thing is that he lived for many years and came at a good age with all his dreams fulfilled as a researcher.

ceratopsian

He lived a long life, full of achievement.  But it is always sad when a giant in a particular field dies.

Brocc21

Man this sucks to hear. I wish i knew more about him but you hear the discoveries more that the man that found them. He discovered my favorite prehistoric animal, so cheers to you Bonaparte!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Concavenator

This is really sad to hear, Bonaparte is one of those paleontologists that I always remember about. He has made some very important discoveries also. May he rest in peace.

Faelrin

This is tragic news. I'm really saddened to hear this. The man contributed to the discovery of some of my favorite dinosaurs after all, and one in particular that played a vital role during my childhood's many interests. May he rest in peace.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Carnotaurus

Libraraptor

EmperorDinobot

Rest in Peace, Good Doctor. I was in contact with him once through an old mailing list, we were discussing Noasaurus and stuff. He was cool.

Avian

Very sad news. I looked up to him as a kid, dreaming of becoming a paleontologist like him someday. Nonetheless, he lived a long and fruitful life.
You must understand the past before you can change the future.

dyno77

To be fair yes he did all that but is there any reason why he wasn't featured in any major documentaries since the early 1990s? Now i get many paleontologists that have made major finds haven't been featured in documentaries ,but this guy in particular was a cornerstone of dinosaur discoveries ,but another thing is why hasn't Dale Russel been featured in any documentaries in the last 15yrs or have they and i just missed the documentary in particular.?

BlueKrono

I just learned about this today while cruising Wikipedia and this post was one of the few on the internet about it. What a legend...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.