News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Brand suggestions

Started by New2Dino, March 24, 2021, 06:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New2Dino

Hello,
I am new to collecting and just splurged on a few large orders.  I would appreciate some input on other brands,  I started off with Schleich and found some to be great! (t-rex, apatasaurus, Steg, etc), and some I found to be really lacking in quality/detail(velociraptor, therizinisaurus and others).  Then I found Papo and was shocked and impressed and how detailed they were.  I would rate Schleich at 6-8, Papo is a 8-10, and Collecta varies from 6-9.  I am looking at PNSO, but am concerned about the cost vs quality.

Does any know much about PNSO and why they seem to take months to ship from amazon?  Also are there other brands that are in the 8+ range?
Thanks! I look forward to learning more.

sauroid

PNSO is currently leading among the prehistoric animal figures brands, followed by CollectA and Safari Ltd. if you are into JP/JW inspired figures, Nanmu is your best choice.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Stegotyranno420

Welcome friend, enjoy yoru stay here. Anyways, first of all, you can learn a lot about pnso by going to the designated threads, such as pnso dinosaurs. Secondly, since they are from china, and there is covid, it can be costly and/or long when they get home. I will say that people's opinions can go many ways, so there isn't anyway to find clear rankings. For example, the majority people here believe that CollectA's lisowica and Safari's Deinonychus are better than the Papo Spinosaurus or Pnso Tyrannosaurus.  I will disagree with that, but its their opinion, and that's fine, they are nice and fun people, just so we don't share same opinion doesn't mean we cant be cool.
also there are some companies that are like on the border between figurine and model, so that makes it hard to decide what counts as a toy/figurine/kit/collectable.

Dinoxels

PNSO is a Chinese company, and Amazon directly imports the products from them. This is why they take a while. If you want cheaper prices use Aliexpress. Another 8+ brand is Safari Ltd. They make stunning models.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Carnoking

PNSO is easily the best bang for buck when it comes to scientific figures. Both CollectA and Safari Ltd are wonderful companies in this regard (and in certain aspects superior to PNSO), but at the end of the day, PNSO offers the best detail and paint on their models for affordable prices. Amazon currently has a lot of their new stuff in prime, so you could get them in a matter of days with free shipping if you are a member. If not, great dinosaur retailers like Dan's Dinosaurs and Everything Dinosaur also stock PNSO. Dan's even offers special prices on some of the new arrivals for a limited time after they are revealed.

Halichoeres

Kaiyodo and Favorite Co Ltd also make some excellent figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

stoneage

Vitae also makes some good figures.

New2Dino

Thanks for the great info.  My initial research found Schleich, but I am thrilled there are so many other companies that make better stuff.  I will be posting a picture of my favs soon.

I really do appreciate the input.

Carnegie Collector

I am pretty biased towards Safari Ltd. as they have been my go to brand since the late 90s when I was still a small child.  They are a really great company, and you can order the dinosaurs directly from their website to your door.  I think Schleich has some good figures but others are notoriously bad (1993 Ceratosaurus).  Papo is good for highly detailed figures, but sometimes lacks on the scientific accuracy.  The Carnegie Collection by Safari Ltd is one of the best lines of dinosaurs out there in my opinion.  Even some of the late 80s and early 90s figures were way ahead of their time.  I don't own any Battat figures, but I highly recommend those as well. I'm personally not a huge fan of CollectA but that's more of a personal preference and not because they're scientifically inaccurate.  PNSO is the leading brand for scientific accuracy and detailed sculpts, but they're a bit more pricy than the other brands I mentioned. 
Lifelong collector of model dinosaurs.  My favorite brand is Safari Ltd, especially the Carnegie Collection.

Concavenator

Safari, CollectA, EoFauna, PNSO, Vitae and Beasts of the Mesozoic are all top notch, and are my personal reccomendations if you're interested in accurate and well researched representations of the species.

Though lately, the prehistoric animal figure market has been getting very, very competitive and there are new and very promising companies with great new models. In that aspect, I would also reccomend taking a look at Dino Hazard, Wild Past and Mesozoic Life.

These are my reccomendations from the perspective of a collector who is interested in scientifically correct representations. If you don't mind accuracy too much there are other options, but I'm sure someone else could reccomend some other brands better than I could.

Fembrogon

I'll put my first vote to Safari ltd., for the best mixture of quality, accuracy and affordability. As avatar_Carnegie Collector @Carnegie Collector mentioned, you can also by directly from their website (at least if you live in the USA or Canada), and they frequently offer sales and discounts there.

You already mentioned Collecta, and in my experience so far they're solid too. Their prices and diversity of figures is great - although their models don't always appeal to me the same way Safari does.

Battat Terra was sadly stunted as a line, but the dozen new/old figures that did get released are still great, and usually sell for good prices if you look in the right places.

PNSO is something of a higher-end line which dances between stylized and rigorously researched products, but the results speak for themselves; you can see the enthusiasm the line gets here on the forum.

Of course, you can always check out the Toy Blog proper and dig through the many reviews to get a more thorough look at these companies' products!

Shonisaurus

I like all the brands, especially the legendary ones.

In my case I lean towards the most modern brands.

Eofauna,
PNSO
Nanmu Studio,
W-Dragon
Dino Hazard
GR Toys

and of course Beasts of the Mesozoic

They are the magnificent seven.

I also have my hopes in Mesozoo Projects

And the Spanish company from Madrid Mesozoo, which I hope will market that long-awaited spinosaurus that still makes me modify my Shonisaurus profile, although I think that today the spinosaurus that occupies my heart is Papo's limited version.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.