News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Your favorite companies: poll short list

Started by Halichoeres, October 01, 2022, 02:54:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on October 03, 2022, 05:49:23 PMThe main point of my analogy is that one exists within the other but is different enough to be acknowledged separately. I cannot say the same for Schleich or other museum lines and offshoots. Carnegie has a bit more prestige and significance I think. I understand that Pixar existed before being assimilated by Disney. I remember when it happened. I guess I should have laid all that out as a foot note in my initial post to avoid this inevitable response. No point arguing about it, let the people decide, as you suggest. I'm not that invested anyway, I would vote for both even if they were separate. But I know there are some collectors that only collect Carnegie, or specialize with it specifically. 

Forrest Rogers might have sculpted some of the Safari Authentics, so you got me there. I know Greg Wenzel did some too though. 

Gotcha, I see what you're saying. It's kind of a borderline case, but hopefully more people will weigh in on their preference.

Again, folks, if you'd like the poll to include the Carnegie line as an option separate from Safari Ltd, please drop a like on reply #14 above. If you prefer they be combined, drop one on reply #15.

Also, JP/JW fans: Are there any other merch companies, official or unofficial, that you would actually vote for? Iron Studios, Prime 1, Captivz, IToy?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

I'll be making this poll soon, if anybody want to nominate any other companies to be included, please let me know. Here is the current list:

Battat
Bullyland
CollectA
Creative Beast
EoFauna
Favorite Co
GR Toys
Hasbro qua Hasbro
Hasbro qua Kenner
Invicta
Kaiyodo
Marx
Mattel
Nanmu
Oumcraft
Papo
PNSO
Rebor
Safari Ltd
Schleich
Sinclair
Takara Tomy
Tyco
Vitae
W-Dragon

Please also see replies #14 and #15 to weigh in on whether to include the Carnegie Collection as a separate entry from Safari's other products.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Crackington

I'd like to see a few more oldies, Aurora Prehistoric Scenes, Inpro, MPC and not so old Toyway for the WWD figures.

I agree separate Carnegie and Safari, the former is a discrete line with a known number of models and its own fans.

Halichoeres

Ok, I'll count that as a vote. Same for Pachyrhinosaurus and Fembrogon, who voiced similar opinions.

Halichoeres

OK, as of now post #14 has three likes (votes) and post #15 has five. Gwangi and I cancel each other out, but Crackington and Pachyrhinosaurus have both weighed in preferring Carnegie to be listed separately from other Safari products. So I guess it's a tie. I'll make this poll later today, so if you have an opinion on this get your vote in soon.

Faelrin

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Will you have an other/write in option as well? Just to cover all bases, such as for people in the future finding this much later, or catch all for any others not above?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

I wasn't planning to, but I suppose I could. I've left the nomination open for a couple of weeks now, I figured that would be enough. But I guess some people don't log in that often, or even if they do, they might not check every board. Anyway, I guess a write-in couldn't hurt.

Here's the list of nominees so far. Just a reminder to folks, please only nominate companies you think you will actually vote for.

Aurora
Battat
Bullyland
CollectA
Creative Beast
EoFauna
Favorite Co
GR Toys
Hasbro qua Hasbro
Hasbro qua Kenner
Inpro
Invicta
Kaiyodo
Marx
Mattel
MPC
Nanmu
Oumcraft
Papo
PNSO
Rebor
Safari Ltd (possibly also Carnegie Collection as a separate entry, which I disagree with but will include if outvoted)
Schleich
Sinclair
Takara Tomy
Toyway (Walking with Dinosaurs; NHM London)
Tyco
Vitae
W-Dragon

bmathison1972

I think WS and Carnegie should be kept under one broad Safari category. Otherwise, for Kaiyodo why not separate out Sofubi Toybox, Capsule Q Museum, bottlcap series, etc.

Halichoeres

That's my instinct, too. Takara Tomy is one of the world's largest toy companies and has made everything from Kaiyodo-adjacent gashapon to JW action figures to the Dinosaur Train line, but they're all in one entry. I get why a line as beloved as Carnegie is thought of as special, though.

Anyway, B @bmathison1972 your comment pulls us back into a tie, 7 for splitting and 7 for lumping!

SidB

I've wrestled with the Safari-Carnegie dichotomy too. I'd always distinguished between the two, but gradually, post 2015, as Carnegie receded and Safari (Wild) expanded, I've amalgamated the two into one collection for display purposes. So there it stands for me - I'll vote for one unified entry.

Halichoeres

I have a vague idea that there is a nostalgia factor in the support for a separate Carnegie entry. I don't really experience nostalgia and find it kind of mysterious, but at any rate the tie has been broken (shout-out to avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono) in favor of a separate entry. Poll is live here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10499.0

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 25, 2022, 04:03:21 AMI have a vague idea that there is a nostalgia factor in the support for a separate Carnegie entry. I don't really experience nostalgia and find it kind of mysterious, but at any rate the tie has been broken (shout-out to avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono) in favor of a separate entry. Poll is live here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10499.0

I have no nostalgia for the Carnegie Collection despite being the right age for it. I just think, having collected and interacted with other collectors for over a decade, that the significance of the Carnegie Collection cannot be understated. As I said before, there is a community of collectors that only collect the Carnegie Collection and variants within it. It has its own Wikipedia page, I can't say the same for the various offshoots of Takara Tomy or Kaiyodo. I wouldn't be surprised if someone published a book on the Carnegie Collection someday, similar to the Marx book.

BlueKrono

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 25, 2022, 04:03:21 AMI have a vague idea that there is a nostalgia factor in the support for a separate Carnegie entry. I don't really experience nostalgia and find it kind of mysterious, but at any rate the tie has been broken (shout-out to avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono) in favor of a separate entry. Poll is live here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10499.0

To me it looks like I made a tie - 5 and 5. But I'm not sad it made the cut. I do see the two as distinct enough to warrant separate votes. Is there a nostalgia factor for me with Carnegie? Well... it can't be ruled out.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on October 25, 2022, 05:07:43 AM

I have no nostalgia for the Carnegie Collection despite being the right age for it. I just think, having collected and interacted with other collectors for over a decade, that the significance of the Carnegie Collection cannot be understated. As I said before, there is a community of collectors that only collect the Carnegie Collection and variants within it. It has its own Wikipedia page, I can't say the same for the various offshoots of Takara Tomy or Kaiyodo. I wouldn't be surprised if someone published a book on the Carnegie Collection someday, similar to the Marx book.

Yeah, not necessarily you specifically, but I think it's one of the reasons people may have supported it. Carnegie definitely has a certain distinctiveness that Tomy lines don't have, although in the case of Kaiyodo I could see someone arguing for distinguishing between, say, Dinoland and Dinotales. Very different kinds of products. I expect you're right that there will be a Carnegie book one day, probably by Martyniuk.

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 26, 2022, 07:46:35 PM

To me it looks like I made a tie - 5 and 5. But I'm not sad it made the cut. I do see the two as distinct enough to warrant separate votes. Is there a nostalgia factor for me with Carnegie? Well... it can't be ruled out.

Yeah, that's true for the votes on those two posts, but I also counted people who commented without voting; and there were slightly more of those on the pro-separation side.

EmperorDinobot

Mine will always be Safari Ltd. Consistency, quality, and variety year after year. I am very fond of them. Too bad I have to buy them online now. I really enjoyed hunting for them personally when I was younger.

BlueKrono

Oh man, how could I have forgotten Play Visions? Definitely would have gotten my vote. I didn't even use all 10 of mine.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Halichoeres

Quote from: BlueKrono on November 13, 2022, 09:56:09 PMOh man, how could I have forgotten Play Visions? Definitely would have gotten my vote. I didn't even use all 10 of mine.

Ah dang, yeah, I bet you're not the only one who would vote for them. Use the write-in slot! Or did you already use that?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.