News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

SidB's Collection Thread

Started by SidB, March 17, 2023, 08:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

I like the Triceratops.
Reminds me of the Dinosaur Strike one

ceratopsian

This takes me back to my early collecting days and all the excitement they generated.  Still love the Ouranosaurus planned scheme!

postsaurischian

:)  Nice roundup of Battat's Dinosaur history!
 I remember that you could get their Diplodocus for the lowest prices on eBay after a re-release was announced in 2014.
 This of course didn't last for long.

Quote from: SidB on December 02, 2023, 03:56:35 AMFollowing the classic era of Battat dinosaur collectables, there was a brief revival in 2014-15 when Dan Lorusso made a group of four new sculpts under the Battat Terra rubric. .......

As a final remark it could be mentioned that Dan had sculpted another 8 models for the Terra series before he became ill, announced for 2015.
 We even had pictures of Europasaurus, Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Majungasaurus, Nasutoceratops, Pentaceratops, Plateosaurus & Yutyrannus.
 But I cannot say where they are now.

SidB

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 04, 2023, 11:26:36 AM:)  Nice roundup of Battat's Dinosaur history!
 I remember that you could get their Diplodocus for the lowest prices on eBay after a re-release was announced in 2014.
 This of course didn't last for long.

Quote from: SidB on December 02, 2023, 03:56:35 AMFollowing the classic era of Battat dinosaur collectables, there was a brief revival in 2014-15 when Dan Lorusso made a group of four new sculpts under the Battat Terra rubric. .......

As a final remark it could be mentioned that Dan had sculpted another 8 models for the Terra series before he became ill, announced for 2015.
 We even had pictures of Europasaurus, Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Majungasaurus, Nasutoceratops, Pentaceratops, Plateosaurus & Yutyrannus.
 But I cannot say were they are now.
Thanks for these closing comments, avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian . Yes, I remember that the prices asked for the iconic Battat  Diplodocus on eBay dropped down into the 300-350 USD range at that time, less than half of what they are now. Mind you, converted into Canadian dollars and then adding shipping, and some times duties, that placed them still at a lofty 500 dollars Canadian. Quite impossible for me. And then there was the persistent issue of whether or not Target would have allowed such large units on their shelves, to eat up precious shelf space. 

And then there was the disappearance of the 'missing' Lorusso sculpts that Battat received from Dan, but never released, following his death. I remember the sometimes almost frantic efforts to contact Battat by several members here on the DTF, but to no avail.  That's 6-7 years ago now, almost an eternity for us collectors so zeroed in on the new released of the 'here and now'. It would be gratifying for die hard Battat collectors like myself if they were released, say in this upcoming year, for old times sake. But, realistically, I think that they would be found to have lost a lot of their quality edge in comparison with HLG and PNSO and I doubt that they would sell all that well now on the mass market. Pains me to say that, considering how unique and almost esoteric these figures were when I started collecting back around 15 years ago, but things don't stand still for long, do they?

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on December 04, 2023, 10:20:53 AMThis takes me back to my early collecting days and all the excitement they generated.  Still love the Ouranosaurus planned scheme!
Glad that you enjoyed them, avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian .

SidB

Quote from: Stegotyranno420 on December 04, 2023, 05:31:09 AMI like the Triceratops.
Reminds me of the Dinosaur Strike one
Yeah, that trike remains at or near the top of my list of favorites also.

Concavenator

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 04, 2023, 11:26:36 AMAs a final remark it could be mentioned that Dan had sculpted another 8 models for the Terra series before he became ill, announced for 2015.

Out of those, pictures were shown of the Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Nasutoceratops, Pentaceratops and Europasaurus (I mean, the finished figures). We never got to see the Yutyrannus, the Plateosaurus and the Majungasaurus.

SidB

Quote from: Concavenator on December 04, 2023, 12:45:25 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on December 04, 2023, 11:26:36 AMAs a final remark it could be mentioned that Dan had sculpted another 8 models for the Terra series before he became ill, announced for 2015.

Out of those, pictures were shown of the Gastonia, Gigantoraptor, Nasutoceratops, Pentaceratops and Europasaurus (I mean, the finished figures). We never got to see the Yutyrannus, the Plateosaurus and the Majungasaurus.
If I'm not mistaken, we saw the wire cores that had been fabricated for the last ones, that had never been built up.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Concavenator on December 04, 2023, 12:45:25 PM

Thank you for the link. I couldn't remember which ones were shown and which weren't.

SidB

I've always wished that Wild Past's female Tethyshadros' paint work had been up to the standard of the male's, with the white side stripes being integrated with the underside. The originals -

The improved paint work:

I'm happy with the result.

Halichoeres

That does look nicer! Definitely room for a bit of growth in the paint department for Wild Past.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SidB

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 02, 2024, 11:11:57 PMThat does look nicer! Definitely room for a bit of growth in the paint department for Wild Past.
True and I think that their current release, the Scutisaurus, shows a definite movement in that direction.

ceratopsian

An effective and simple improvement.  Certainly finishes off her off properly.

SidB

Quote from: ceratopsian on February 03, 2024, 11:52:42 AMAn effective and simple improvement.  Certainly finishes off her off properly.
I can assure you that she was rather grateful, though a bit irritated at having to wait so long to have the procedure done.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.