News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Beasts of the Mesozoic Reccomendations

Started by Concavenator, January 25, 2021, 04:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

I currently have figures from 7 brands in my collection: Papo, Bullyland, Carnegie, CollectA, Safari, Eofauna, and Schleich. I would like to get at least 1 PNSO figure (some of their new figures are incredible) and 2 Beasts of the Mesozoic figures. The shelf where I'm planning to display the BOTM models is small so there would be space for only 2 figures. One of them is already decided (the gorgeous Styracosaurus) and there would be space for just another figure. The candidates for the other one are:

-From the raptor series: Linheraptor, FC Pyroraptor or FC Dromaeosaurus

-From the ceratopsian series: Chasmosaurus or Spiclypeus (I wouldn't be willing to pay any more than for the Styracosaurus)

-From the tyrannosaur series: Yutyrannus (would really love to, but depends on the price) or either one of the smaller basal tyrannosauroids.

I haven't been paying much attention to the BOTM line, but I had thought about the 2nd figure being another ceratopsian because I have heard people say the raptors have trouble standing. But then again, I saw that for some of the raptors (the ones I like) there has been a new release this year, anyone got them / know what changes there have been compared to the original release? How is the stability on your raptor figures? (I don't think the tyrannosaurs will be much different in this regard).

Also, I asked David and he said the kickstarter for the tyrannosaur series will be out in summer, and that the release date for the 1st wave is expected in sometime in 2022. If that's the case, then we will basically know the pricing for the figures in summer, won't we?

Also I would like to mention avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot and B @Bokisaurus because I have seen that all of you have BOTM figures. How are your experience with them? I'm really concerned about the stability issue though.

Thanks and cheers!

ceratopsian

I didn't buy any of the full size BotM raptors, just a couple of the environment packs. I had trouble with the tree's stability though. So I'm not the person to ask.

I have the Chasmosaurus and love it. But I can't compare it to the Spiclypeus because that is second wave and so not out yet. I did order it though. 

From the point of view of making a satisfying display, I think there is a lot to be said for going for two ceratopsians, rather than mixing a ceratopsian with a raptor.

EmperorDinobot

avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops

1. If you can afford them and have space to display them, buy them.
2. If you love to photograph dinosaurs in different poses, buy them.
3. If you love the raptors and want to see what parts make each one, get the Build-A-Raptor kit. I plan to get one once all of the raptors are in my hands.
4. If you collect 1/18th inch scale figures such as GiJoe, Chap Mei, Jurassic World, The Corps, Star Wars, Jazwares' Fortnite and more (3.75 inches to 4 inches tall), the ceratopsians except for Taco and Proto, they are going to look ingenious next to them. I'm building a sort of "Cretaceous Ranch" outside of my Jurassic Park area, based roughly on Lon Lon Ranch, where I plan to showcase different ones every so often.
5. If you like to draw and want to have figures do different poses, also buy them!
6. If you like colorful dinosaurs instead of the dull, drab and out of date interpretations from the 1900's, buy them!!!
Drawbacks:
1. The raptor's clear plastic rods are super fragile. The sockets in their bases are really tight, so watch out.
2. The raptors with the heaviest wings can become rather loose over time, especially on Zhenyuanlong and Balaur.
3. DO NOT force their joints. These are sturdy enough for kids, but they were designed for adult collectors. I mean you can totally have Styracosaurus do battle with a WWD big Daspletosaurus, so they're good enough for that.
4. The boxes cost a ton of space. I don't want to get rid of mine because I have a feeling this is going to be a tumultuous year for me.
5. Do not buy them with the expectation that they will go up in price as time goes. These are all in fresh supply. Only the Kickstarter exclusives will go up in price, like the blue Velociraptor osmolskand the Dino Riders Monoclonius.
6. The paint chips rather easily, and many already come with paint chips. Do not expect perfecn and see point #3.

That's my beginner's guide to BOTM.

Faelrin

I would always recommend the environment accessory packs. Excellent way of setting up dioramas with not just figures from this brand but others as well. Just be mindful of the foot pegs (broke one with my Buitreraptor, and the one on the log for Microraptor).

In regards to the raptors if you have the time definitely check out the original thread on them, as many of the qc issues have been posted about, if not reviews (blog, youtube, etc). The biggest issue for many and mine was stability. That was especially problematic for the original releases of Dromaeosaurus and the other thick pelvis raptors until the second production run that comes with the modified piece to clip on to their pelvis. In comparison my Velociraptor has little issues standing with that piece (still in a jumping pose to this day with the jumping rod from the Desert pack). The posing rods can definitely get loose over time the more you use them but that goes for their joints as well (some of which can be extremely tight). Hot water, hair dryer, and/or exacto knife can all help. I have also experienced a warped jaw issue with my Dromaeosaurus that using a hair dryer helped fix. Also some can't close their mouths fully (such as my Acheroraptor).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

EmperorDinobot

Yes the fans edition Zhenyuanlong refuses to close its s, but it is advertised that way so...I'm like...Ok I guess? I did do the review on them both and it mentioned. It's kind of annoying but I have developed them into a couple where one's a talker and the other one's a strong silent type. That's the thing I love about them. They have character.

Concavenator

Thank you very much for your responses!  :D

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian I think you're right in that getting the two ceratopsians is the better option and what I'll be doing. As much as I like the raptors, I don't want to be dealing with stability issues at all (and I'm sure that if I bought any of them that's what would happen, I'm probably the unluckiest people on Earth when it comes to getting figures that are supposed to stand on their own to actually do so  :P ). Like I said I only have space for 2 figures, and I love the Styracosaurus and Chasmosaurus. It's interesting how drastically my opinion towards the Chasmosaurus has changed. It's one of my favorite ceratopsians and despite that, when I saw the model for the first time I thought: "If there's one figure from this line that I wouldn't want to get it's this"  ;D . And now, after seeing it more carefully and after having seen in hand pictures and reviews, I'm totally in love with it. I'll admit the pictures you took of yours play a big part in that, I really like your pictures as well as your collection thread.

avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot Thanks for the advice!
To be honest, from my point of view these are quite expensive figures (though I should say as well that the price is probably worth it because each of them are pieces of art). I don't do photography, nor I collect anything besides prehistoric animal models. Like I said I like some raptors but I don't want to be dealing with stability issues whatsoever so the ceratopsians are the safest option as well (safer than the tyrannosaurs too since even now I predict there will be stability issues with those as well, hopefully not though), and I love the Styraco and Chasmo. Regarding the articulations, I don't care much about them. I would just find a pose I like and leave them that way, like a normal, non-articulated figure. Actually, at first when I first heard about the BotM line I had no interest in the line precisely because they're articulated figures and because they're different from the average Safari or CollectA figure. But in the end, these are gorgeous and accurate dinosaur models, and I now appreciate them for that. They're a bit out of my price range (the figure I paid the most for was my Carnegie 2008 Diplodocus, which did cost me around 50€) but I'm willing to make an exception for these  :P. I have never bought any figure with the intention of selling it afterwards, if I buy something it's because I (really) like it and want to have it in my collection, not selling it. I don't care for the boxes, I would throw them away. I would like to keep the cards that come with the models, though, I always do that. And it's a shame to hear that some of them come with paint chips. Have you got any BotM ceratopsian that came with paint chips?

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin see my response to avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian and avatar_EmperorDinobot @EmperorDinobot

EmperorDinobot

avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops  well hehehe my Styracosaurus has two paint chips or so. Go see my review. It's pretty obvious where they are. HOWEVER my Taco is...perfection. I've never been a fan of the genera and I love this animal as if it were my child. It is perfect.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The ones I received had a couple about pin head sized? not bad though.

Concavenator

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on January 30, 2021, 12:17:44 AM
avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops  well hehehe my Styracosaurus has two paint chips or so. Go see my review. It's pretty obvious where they are. HOWEVER my Taco is...perfection. I've never been a fan of the genera and I love this animal as if it were my child. It is perfect

I didn't notice them when I saw the photos  ??? BTW, I know in the instructions it says that you should heat the tail joints, but did you actually do that? I have seen reviews where they just pop the tail onto the body without doing anything and they're fine.

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 30, 2021, 12:35:47 AM
The ones I received had a couple about pin head sized? not bad though.

That's a shame, but that doesn't stop me from wanting them. For me, the Styracosaurus has gained the title of the most spectacular dinosaur model I have ever seen. You guys are so lucky for having it already. Until I get mine all I can do is stare at others' pics.  :-[ :P

ceratopsian

I had to heat the tail twice for the Styracosaurus. It took a fair push even then. I would say that the larger the ceratopsian, the more effort/warming required to get the tail on. But it's not a difficult thing to do. I just put some water (very hot but not boiling) in a mug and dunked the tail base in it for 20 seconds or so. I think if you don't soften the tail, you increase the risk of damage to paintwork etc by applying more force to get it on. It might skid off sideways etc.

Rexy

I really like the look of the feathered raptors, particularly the white Saurornitholestes and FC Pyroraptor, but I've noticed they're very expensive. What's their quality like and is it worth paying upwards of $50 per raptor?
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

Fembrogon

I think I paid $45 per raptor back when they were on Backerkit; it's a chunk, and of course I'd prefer if they were $35-40; but I'd say they're still reasonably priced for their size and detail. Stability issues aside, the articulation works well and offers a good range to play and pose with. The packaging is also very nicely designed, with the figure and accessories efficiently packed without being cramped, and of course the beautiful artwork.
For comparison, the Mattel Amber Collection raptors are the same size with about the same articulation, but with simpler sculpt & paint details and a package which often is a little too tight for the figure's own good, retailing for about $30.

David Silva has done sales from time to time on his website, too, if I recall correctly; so you could potentially hold out until the next sale and save a few more dollars on them. I wouldn't be surprised if at least a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale happened next month.

Rexy

The only places I've seen them for sale are MiniZoo and Everything Dinosaur. On MiniZoo, both the FC Pyroraptor and the white Saurornitholestes are $60 each. The prices on Everything Dinosaur are in British pounds (FC Pyroraptor comes to $70.33 Australian dollars, the white Saurornitholestes comes to $57.37 Australian dollars)
Taking dinosaurs off this island is the worst idea in the long, sad history of bad ideas, and I'm gonna be there when you learn that.

Fembrogon

Creative Beast also has an Etsy shop, and the Saurornitholestes still appears to be in stock there, albeit for about the same price with shipping included.

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.