News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Dinosaur con - a pipe dream

Started by Newt, October 25, 2021, 02:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newt

I was thinking about how most hobby communities have meetings where they get together to celebrate their common interest; there are conventions and festivals for everything from hot rods to quilts to baseball cards to video games. But where are the cons for us paleo-nerds? There are academic symposia, sure, but most non-academics don't feel like they belong there. There are fossil shows, but they are in the first place mostly commercial opportunities rather than community events, and in the second place hold little interest for the many paleo enthusiasts who do not collect fossils. Other, more general cons may gather part of the paleo community under their umbrella – toy cons, movie cons, and so on – but as far as I can tell from several minutes of exhaustive internet research, there are no conventions geared specifically towards the lay paleo community. (There are "paleo" conventions, but they are for people who are into the paleo diet!) TetZooCon may be the closest thing as of right now, but it is geared towards neontology and cryptozoology as well as paleontology.

So then I started daydreaming about what such an event would look like. It should appeal to as broad a segment of the paleo community as possible, from armchair paleontologists (and professional paleontologists, for that matter) to fossil collectors to paleo-pop-culture fans. A few things I think would be key:

Talks by experts – scientists, paleoartists, filmmakers, etc.
   Hands-on classes – preparing fossils, drawing extinct creatures, etc.
   Vendors – shop for fossils, paleoart, toys, books, movies, etc.
   Meet-and-greet – meet paleo "celebrities"
   Exhibits – see fossils, movie props, etc. up close
   Field trips – guided tours to nearby paleo-themed attractions such as museums or fossil sites

What do you guys think; would you go to a convention like this? What would add to or subtract from my sketch above? Are there any specific people or objects you would like to see at such a con?

Reuben03

yes i so so would.

IMAGINE THE TOYS

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'd go if it's within a reasonable driving distance from me. I've been to a similar event at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, but it was primarily aimed at a younger audience. My ideal convention would be geared more toward adults, though still being family-friendly.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

dinodamage

I would be THRILLED to attend something like this!

I used to work at a local science museum and pre-covid and I was trying to help arrange a "paleo night" to breathe some new life into the dusty and outdated dinosaur exhibit, and some of the ideas we had would lend themselves perfectly to a convention, such as a class on making paleoart or a panel on how reconstructions are done. Interactive panels are a really good way to get people engaged and build community within convention spaces.

rough ideas that come to mind based on past con experiences:
- a panel on the history of paleoart chronicling how our understanding of dinosaurs & other prehistoric animals has evolved
- an art showcase (or competition?) of attendee paintings, sculptures, etc
- a charity auction to support science education
- costume contest (I feel like no convention is complete without one- and people have come up with some really fun/innovative dinosaur costumes!!)

Anyhow, there are a plethora of fun ideas and possibilities and something like this has potential to be a hit- I would absolutely go to this if it was within the US

EarthboundEiniosaurus

The Burpee Museum in Rockford, IL holds an annual event called Paleofest that is pretty much exactly what you described. The majority of people who attend are paleo enthusiasts who come and listen to talks from various professional paleontologists, but there are also other activities and workshops set up throughout the museum. A very fun time if you're ever able to attend!
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

Newt

Quote from: Reuben03 on October 25, 2021, 03:30:26 AM
yes i so so would.

IMAGINE THE TOYS

Right? In my imagination, there would be vendors selling not only current mainstays but hard-to-find old toys, mods and repaints, as well as small producers selling their garage kits, 3D prints, and one-of-a-kind sculptures.

Newt

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on October 25, 2021, 03:42:06 AM
I'd go if it's within a reasonable driving distance from me. I've been to a similar event at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, but it was primarily aimed at a younger audience. My ideal convention would be geared more toward adults, though still being family-friendly.

That brings up the important question of where this event might be held. Obviously it would be convenient for me if it were held here in Nashville, but I suppose it would be more practical if it were nearer a major population center. Although...WonderfestUSA, the biggest garage kit con in the country, is in Louisville, Kentucky, so big events don't necessarily have to be in a megalopolis.

Newt

Quote from: dinodamage on October 25, 2021, 04:53:23 AM
I would be THRILLED to attend something like this!

I used to work at a local science museum and pre-covid and I was trying to help arrange a "paleo night" to breathe some new life into the dusty and outdated dinosaur exhibit, and some of the ideas we had would lend themselves perfectly to a convention, such as a class on making paleoart or a panel on how reconstructions are done. Interactive panels are a really good way to get people engaged and build community within convention spaces.

rough ideas that come to mind based on past con experiences:
- a panel on the history of paleoart chronicling how our understanding of dinosaurs & other prehistoric animals has evolved
- an art showcase (or competition?) of attendee paintings, sculptures, etc
- a charity auction to support science education
- costume contest (I feel like no convention is complete without one- and people have come up with some really fun/innovative dinosaur costumes!!)

Anyhow, there are a plethora of fun ideas and possibilities and something like this has potential to be a hit- I would absolutely go to this if it was within the US

Those are some great ideas!

Newt

Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 25, 2021, 12:19:26 PM
The Burpee Museum in Rockford, IL holds an annual event called Paleofest that is pretty much exactly what you described. The majority of people who attend are paleo enthusiasts who come and listen to talks from various professional paleontologists, but there are also other activities and workshops set up throughout the museum. A very fun time if you're ever able to attend!

I did not know about Paleofest, that's very cool! I'd been meaning to take a trip to Chicago anyhow, maybe I can time it to package Paleofest into the same trip. Assuming the world ever regains some semblance of sanity.

Reuben03

Quote from: Newt on October 25, 2021, 01:32:54 PM
Quote from: Reuben03 on October 25, 2021, 03:30:26 AM
yes i so so would.

IMAGINE THE TOYS

Right? In my imagination, there would be vendors selling not only current mainstays but hard-to-find old toys, mods and repaints, as well as small producers selling their garage kits, 3D prints, and one-of-a-kind sculptures.

YES. ahh id love the 'secondhand' section where people sell things they've brought from their collection to swap and sell.

also the imported stuff!!

sooo many good plushies from japan i really want that i can't get at the moment. also the BOTM booth. ooo yes. imagine the exclusives!

long as my heart's beatin' in my chest
this old dawg ain't about to forget :')

BlueKrono

G-Fest exists for the Godzilla/kaiju collecting crowd, so why not?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Cretaceous Crab

I was just thinking about this the other day. Totally awesome idea!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Newt on October 25, 2021, 01:40:58 PM
Quote from: EarthboundEiniosaurus on October 25, 2021, 12:19:26 PM

I did not know about Paleofest, that's very cool! I'd been meaning to take a trip to Chicago anyhow, maybe I can time it to package Paleofest into the same trip. Assuming the world ever regains some semblance of sanity.

Let me know if you do. I'm in Chicago, but I've somehow never made it to Paleofest.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 12, 2021, 07:01:19 PMLet me know if you do. I'm in Chicago, but I've somehow never made it to Paleofest.

Will do!

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.