News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor 1/35 Crocodylomorpha: Deinosuchus "Meta" and Sarcosuchus "Lica"

Started by joossa, May 16, 2017, 03:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

I wonder why Rebor opted to exclude Deinosuchus's signature double-"fangs" on the lower jaw, when in the previous version they were present ???. Would certainly make for a more unique and impressive figure had those been included on the new version. The teeth also feel overly triangular to me. Could use more touch-ups like their American Alligator.

suspsy

I've revised my previous comment slightly for on further inspection, the Rebor model's skull isn't quite as accurate as I thought at first. The above illustrations are proof of that. I'd also forgotten that Deinosuchus possessed very large, bulbous osteoderms which are also well represented above. The Rebor model's osteoderms are pretty generic by comparison.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Yeah, the lack of distinctive osteoderms is a shame too.

Also, are those claws on the fourth and fifth digits? Shouldn't those be absent on alligatoroids?

Bread

Quote from: Flaffy on December 04, 2021, 02:29:12 AM

Also, are those claws on the fourth and fifth digits? Shouldn't those be absent on alligatoroids?
Yes, on the Rebor general discussion thread, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin mentioned it shouldn't have claws on fourth and fifth digits. Not found on extant crocodilians.

I don't know much about extinct prehistoric crocodilians, so whether or not these would be present is unknown to me.

The Prehistoric Traveler

I hope REBOR can make some adjustments regarding the accuracy otherwise it will be a no go for me.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: The Prehistoric Traveler on December 04, 2021, 03:17:22 PM
I hope REBOR can make some adjustments regarding the accuracy otherwise it will be a no go for me.
Same.

Skorpio V.

Glad to see they're holding onto Meta and it'll likely see the light of day! A 1:35 scale one should be around 20-25cm or 8-10 inches which isn't really up Rebor's alley unless they're doing raptors or babies or raptor babies, so I won't be disappointed with a PNSO Huanghetitan-sized Deino, but I'd still be happier if they do in fact do it in proper scale.

Also want to note the nitpicking of Meta and Lica's names LOL :))
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Gwangi

They should be absent on all archosaurs.

SenSx

Quote from: Skorpio V. on December 04, 2021, 04:35:31 PM
Glad to see they're holding onto Meta and it'll likely see the light of day! A 1:35 scale one should be around 20-25cm or 8-10 inches which isn't really up Rebor's alley unless they're doing raptors or babies or raptor babies, so I won't be disappointed with a PNSO Huanghetitan-sized Deino, but I'd still be happier if they do in fact do it in proper scale.

Also want to note the nitpicking of Meta and Lica's names LOL :))

From what I've seen, the current max size estimation for Deinosuchus is 10 meters long, or maybe 10,5 meters.
While would translate into a 28,6 or 30 cm in 1/35.

Knowing Rebor it seems more likelly for them to make a bigger figure than this.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Gwangi on December 05, 2021, 12:01:14 AM

I'm curious where you read this. I've heard this claim often but I don't know its source. I believe it may be a misapplication of the extant phylogenetic bracket, using birds and crown-group crocodilians to infer the ancestral state of archosaurs despite both lineages being heavily pruned by extinction. Postosuchus had five manual unguals, although the fifth is admittedly a nubbin. Chirotherium/Protochirotherium trackways suggest four or five claws. And the sauropodomorph Sarahsaurus had four manual unguals. Frustratingly, a lot of Triassic stem-crocs seem to have not preserved the manus. avatar_Newt @Newt knows more about this stuff than I do, maybe he can shed some light?

All that said, as a crown-group crocodilian, Deinosuchus should definitely have only three claws on each hand.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Newt

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 06, 2021, 01:08:31 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 05, 2021, 12:01:14 AM

I'm curious where you read this. I've heard this claim often but I don't know its source. I believe it may be a misapplication of the extant phylogenetic bracket, using birds and crown-group crocodilians to infer the ancestral state of archosaurs despite both lineages being heavily pruned by extinction. Postosuchus had five manual unguals, although the fifth is admittedly a nubbin. Chirotherium/Protochirotherium trackways suggest four or five claws. And the sauropodomorph Sarahsaurus had four manual unguals. Frustratingly, a lot of Triassic stem-crocs seem to have not preserved the manus. avatar_Newt @Newt knows more about this stuff than I do, maybe he can shed some light?

All that said, as a crown-group crocodilian, Deinosuchus should definitely have only three claws on each hand.

I don't know that I have much light to shed. Schachner et al. 2019 describe a nearly complete manus from the Triassic pseudosuchian Poposaurus gracilis, which has the usual unguals on digits I, II, and III. They suggest the ungual is missing from digit IV, but Nesbitt indicates that it is rare for pseudosuchians to possess a preserved ungual IV. At any rate, this suggests that possession of no more than 3 manual unguals is not, in fact, a synapomorphy of Archosauria, though it is typical of the group.

As you point out, manual skeletons are frustratingly rare and incomplete for most Triassic archosaurs, so it's hard to know what the norm is for early pseudosuchans and ornithodires. Certainly non-archosaur archosauromorphs such as Trilophosaurus have the full complement of 5 unguals on their mitts.

Schachner, E.R., R.B. Irmis, A.K. Huttenlocker, K. Sanders, R.L. Cieri, and S.J. Nesbitt. 2019. Osteology of the Late Triassic Bipedal Archosaur Poposaurus gracilis (Archosauria: Pseudosuchia) from Western North America. Anatomical Record 2019.

Halichoeres

Thank you, that's helpful! Lots of fifth claws in early archosauromorphs, for sure. Like I said in another thread on here, they would have had to lose them in an awful hurry for 3 or fewer to be a good synapomorphy of the archosaurs.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.