News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Another weird ankylosaur from Gondwana: Stegouros elengassen

Started by Smilodon P., November 10, 2021, 09:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smilodon P.

I saw an image some days ago, but only now I found the paper about this flat-tail armored guy (or girl) from Chile:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-04147-1]

Newt

Well that's just fantastic! The tail made me think of this:

Gothmog the Baryonyx

It's still only an informal name, it hasn't been peer reviewed and published yet
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Faelrin

Wow that has some exceptional remains there. I can't think of too many ankylosaurs like this, other then like Zuul off hand. Maybe Pinacosaurus too.

The tail is an incredible find and really helps diversify the group further. I hope this can receive a formal name soon, and I hope to see a figure of it in the future (wouldn't surprise me if CollectA jumped on it, with how quick they are with new taxa).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gothmog the Baryonyx

In other news, on the same day this was announced a new dinosaur that has actually been published, a Velocoraptorine Dromaeosaurid from Central Mongolia, Kurri kulla, has actually been named also:

https://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/7286
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

stargatedalek

Interesting note, it's not an Ankylosaur! It's a group that split off earlier than Nodosaurs and then evolved tail clubs convergently. And it brings Minmi with it into this new group.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Very interesting but I hope they come up with a different name when it is formally named and described.

Sim

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on November 11, 2021, 12:23:29 AM
In other news, on the same day this was announced a new dinosaur that has actually been published, a Velocoraptorine Dromaeosaurid from Central Mongolia, Kurri kulla, has actually been named also:

https://digitallibrary.amnh.org/handle/2246/7286

Its name is actually Kuru kulla, which is a bad name choice as 1. there's a disease called kuru and 2. the name is basically the name of a deity split in two.  I find it just plain weird to make a name that only works when both the genus and species are put together.  What if you need to name a new species in that genus?  This stupid type of name has already been used at least twice for dromaeosaurids, earlier this year with Shri devi and earlier with Tsaagan mangas.  I wish people would just stop with these rubbish names.

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 11, 2021, 02:40:09 AM
Interesting note, it's not an Ankylosaur! It's a group that split off earlier than Nodosaurs and then evolved tail clubs convergently. And it brings Minmi with it into this new group.

"Ankylosaur" is a bit of a confusing term as it could mean ankylosaurian or ankylosaurid.  The paper finds Stegouros to be an ankylosaurian but not an ankylosaurid.  There's no mention of Minmi, but Kunbarrasaurus and Antarctopelta are suggested to be in a new group together with Stegouros.

Newt

"Kuru" is also a brand of shoes.  I know because my better half got me a pair. "Oh boy!" I thought. "Spongiform encephalopathy for my feet!" But "Thanks, darling!" is what I said, because I know which side my bread is buttered on.

They are very comfortable shoes, I must say. Just a shame they didn't pick a more savory name than one taken by a brain-destroying prion-induced illness spread by the practice of eating raw human brains. Either the marketing folks didn't do their due diligence (I hope I'm using that term correctly) before selecting the brand name, or they did and said, "That's an association we'll proudly own!". Much like Tom Petty, I can't decide which is worse.

Vaguely back on topic: I'm fascinated by dinosaur biogeography, but darn if new discoveries don't keep throwing wrenches (or spanners, for my transatlantic friends) into my understanding. I just read a couple of abstracts today that indicated that the Cretaceous "sauropod hiatus" in North America may be entirely artifactual; one mentioned in passing that the Campanian Cerro del Pueblo formation of Coahuila has undescribed titanosaur remains, and the other indicated that wide-gauge titanosaurs were known almost entirely from upland environments, which is a problem for the sauropod hiatus because (A) wide-gauge titanosaurs were pretty much the only sauropods left by that time and (2) upland environments are desperately undersampled for that period in North America. Next they'll take the Oligo-Miocene Cat Gap away from me! Anyway, the idea that not only were ankylosaurians present in Gondwana but that they had an endemic radiation is powerful stuff for someone raised on the Dinopedia.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Stegauros has now finally been published. It was leaked early by someone of dubious repute.
Pity about the name, but it's a very interesting discovery. That tail, though probably an evolutionary dead end, marks this as a unique animal, and one of the best of the year.

avatar_Sim @Sim I actually like it when the genus name and species name combine to make a phrase. Its like a low key puzzle. If they ever name a second species the challenge is to make a new phrase.

Shonisaurus

I hope Collecta, PNSO, Safari or another brand of toy dinosaurs will make that rare ankylosaur from Patagonia with an Aztec-type mace. It will be for me one of my requests for the next year 2022 to encourage a company of dinosaurs to be encouraged to do so. I wish a figure of that stegourus and the parrosaurus missouriensis.

Carnoking

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Newt on November 12, 2021, 12:54:22 AM
Vaguely back on topic: I'm fascinated by dinosaur biogeography, but darn if new discoveries don't keep throwing wrenches (or spanners, for my transatlantic friends) into my understanding. I just read a couple of abstracts today that indicated that the Cretaceous "sauropod hiatus" in North America may be entirely artifactual; one mentioned in passing that the Campanian Cerro del Pueblo formation of Coahuila has undescribed titanosaur remains, and the other indicated that wide-gauge titanosaurs were known almost entirely from upland environments, which is a problem for the sauropod hiatus because (A) wide-gauge titanosaurs were pretty much the only sauropods left by that time and (2) upland environments are desperately undersampled for that period in North America. Next they'll take the Oligo-Miocene Cat Gap away from me! Anyway, the idea that not only were ankylosaurians present in Gondwana but that they had an endemic radiation is powerful stuff for someone raised on the Dinopedia.

It's honestly so exciting to speculate what Gondwanan ankylosaurs were like now that we have Stegorous. We're so familiar with the big Asian and American forms with their tail clubs that these smaller forms with bladed tails must have been up to something totally different.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Newt

Quote from: Brontozaurus on December 10, 2021, 06:33:45 AM
It's honestly so exciting to speculate what Gondwanan ankylosaurs were like now that we have Stegorous. We're so familiar with the big Asian and American forms with their tail clubs that these smaller forms with bladed tails must have been up to something totally different.

Maybe abelisaur shins were more susceptible to chopping than to smashing.

Seriously though, I think you're onto something with the size difference. Tail clubs are only found on big animals - ankylosaurids, a couple of weirdo sauropods, Deodicurus, possibly some meiolaniid turtles...am I missing any? They don't seem to scale down, which makes sense, since they're all about momentum and therefore mass. Animals below a certain size threshold just can't support a club that would be an effective bone-breaker, even against similarly small foes. Smaller animals are better off with pointy weapons.

Concavenator

What a great discovery, easily one of my favorites from 2021.

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 11, 2021, 02:40:09 AM

Where did you see that Minmi is now grouped together with Stegouros? In the paper, its sister taxon is Antarctopelta, though as avatar_Sim @Sim said, Kunbarrasaurus has joined this new proposed group (which the authors have called Parankylosauria). So I guess that Minmi is still considered to be an ankylosaurid.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.