News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

MesozoicJohn's Herd and Flock.

Started by MesozoicJohn, December 30, 2021, 09:17:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MesozoicJohn

Herd and Flock, very Tounge in check I know, but with a nod to the Quetzalcoatlus and feathered Raptors  ;D

Having decided to get back into Dinosaurs and having browsed the internet, I took the plunge and ordered a model from Everything Dinosaur. Well it started as 1 model but then I saw another I liked and another then I read a review on another......you get the picture  ;)

In the end I settled on a PNSO Paul the Allosaurus, 2 Papo Quetzalcoatlus, a Rebor Dilophosaurus pair (Green Day & Oasis), PNSO Stegosaurus Biber & Rock and PNSO Perez the Machairoceratops.
I placed the order with Everything Dinosaur on December 10th 2021. It arrived on December 11th, wow what a great service! Having had many hobbies over the past 55 years and suffering an awful lot of rubbish service/support it was great to instantly find a business that gave such great service and with just the same amount of luck, I found this forum!

Getting home from work on the 11th and seeing the big box waiting for me was fantastic. I have never got changed out of my works clothes so quickly as I did that afternoon and I almost fell down the stairs in my rush to get to opening.  :-[

On opening the box I discovered that Everything Dinosaur supply a detailed and very informative information sheet on each Dinosaur purchased. Making a mental note to buy a ring binder and sleeves to keep the info sheets in, I lifted out the first box, it was Paul the Allosaurs. The box was great and the image on it looked awesome, I had read reviews saying that Paul was the best Allosaurs model ever so with that in mind, photo's I had seen on the net and the box image would he live up to the hype? Yes he would because on opening the box and lifting off the top piece of foam I was confronted by a truly stunning model. "Flippen heck" (or words to that effect) I said, to no one in particular seeing how my wife Sue was at work and apart from the Whippets and Chinchillas I was alone in the house, "How awesome is that?!?!"

Next out was Perez the Machairoceratops and he looked even cooler than Paul. Perez was followed by the Dilophosaurus pair and they blew my socks off, they looked super together, gave me great brownie points with Sue when, later that evening I said "Green Day & Oasis are us but a few million years ago" (soppy I know but it meant I could watch Top Gear and did not have to suffer a Chick Flick that evening).

Having unpacked the box I realised three things, I was hooked, I wanted more and I needed to create some shelf space (read buy new shelves and put them up).

Luckily for me, this sudden Dinosaur explosion happened a few days after I received payment for a HUGE commission of wargaming figures, so I could buy more or less what I wanted instead of wasting the money on things like food, heating bills, rent and other annoying things like that  >:D In the end I did relent and divert some of the money to heating the house, I was tired of watching Sue break icicles off her chin and having the windows condensate up on the outside.......

John :)

Halichoeres

So glad you're enjoying the hobby. Everything Dinosaur is a treasure and you're lucky to have them nearby.

On another note, I love your approach to displaying. I've long thought about painting backdrops for my display shelves but never done it. This is inspirational.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I have a collection of fact sheets from Everything Dinosaur too, but this far in I still don't have a binder or proper place to put them. They are just sandwiched between a Dinosaur filled shelf and my shoe boxes lol.
Congrats on taking the plunge. A few nice figures there.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

MesozoicJohn

Thank you both for your kind and encouraging comments.

MesozoicJohn

The latest arrival to my herdflock, Yinqi the Yutyrannus by PNSO.

I have to say I am very very pleased with this model, he looks amazing. I will be displaying him with his mouth almost closed, just by way of a change and will, as ever, be filling and painting the gap between his jaw and his cheeks/throat.

MesozoicJohn

Here are 3 more models from my collection, PNSO's Wyatt the Parasaurolophus, Caroline the Corythosaurus, and Audrey the Lambeosaurus.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on all your new acquisitions. You are increasing your collection geometrically. You have very good taste in the PNSO company and also Papo and Rebor are one of my most loved and favorite companies.

MesozoicJohn

A few more PNSO models from my collection.........

Shonisaurus

My congratulations, you have very good taste, by the way, the Sinoceratops with that repaint is superior to its initial painted figure. You are a lucky person, by the way, those bases that you make for dinosaurs are great because of how artistic and well made they are and that they give a quality image to your dinosaurs.

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 08, 2022, 07:39:49 PM
My congratulations, you have very good taste, by the way, the Sinoceratops with that repaint is superior to its initial painted figure. You are a lucky person, by the way, those bases that you make for dinosaurs are great because of how artistic and well made they are and that they give a quality image to your dinosaurs.

Thank you Shonisaurus, comments like these make it all worth while.

Grimbeard

I REALLY like your approach with the diorama setting and especially the name plates, gives you set-up a museumesque touch.

I have similar plans for my collection, also I still have to work a lot on my diarama-modeling skills. Quite inspiring.

MesozoicJohn

Thank you Grimbeard. It is extra work but well worth the effort.

The name plates are very inexpensive.

Gwangi

The PNSO Spinops really pops in that display. Well done!

CarnotaurusKing

Great figures and great displays as well! Keep it up!

MesozoicJohn

Thank you all for your wonderful comments, they mean a lot to me.

Once I have every thing set how I want it I will be gluing the 'bushes' and 'rocks' in place, this will enable me to hoover the shelf coverings to keep the dust at bay. Dust, every modeler/collectors worse nightmare  >:(

Lynx

If you don't mind me asking, what is the problem with dust? I have been considering dusting my shelves, but don't know the reason.
An oversized house cat.

Bokisaurus

Wonderful collection and presentation! Those PNSO surely make such an impressive display . It's a good starting point.
Oh did you make those bases? They looks really nice😃

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Lynx on January 11, 2022, 07:32:14 PM
If you don't mind me asking, what is the problem with dust? I have been considering dusting my shelves, but don't know the reason.

Dust will quickly make your models look less colorful and will hide fine details. Also it contains dust mite and they make me sneeze.

Dusting also stops the back ground noise from my wife such as....."These shelves need dusting!"

MesozoicJohn

Quote from: Bokisaurus on January 12, 2022, 04:56:35 AM
Wonderful collection and presentation! Those PNSO surely make such an impressive display . It's a good starting point.
Oh did you make those bases? They looks really nice😃

Thank you Bokisaurus.

Yes I make the bases myself using Gamers Grass products. They do a fantastic range of ready made bases but they are a tad expensive, having said that they are great quality.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: MesozoicJohn on January 12, 2022, 12:30:49 PM
Quote from: Lynx on January 11, 2022, 07:32:14 PM

Dust will quickly make your models look less colorful and will hide fine details. Also it contains dust mite and they make me sneeze.

Dusting also stops the back ground noise from my wife such as....."These shelves need dusting!"

You made my day, sir.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: