News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO: New for 2022

Started by Renecito, January 05, 2022, 12:00:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannesB

I would like to have a nice Megalosaurus model from PNSO. The only Megalosaurus figure I own at the moment is the Invicta one, which is a bit small (and a bit outdated *lol*), and I would love to have a beautiful "update".

suspsy

Not gonna lie, I find myself very bored by PNSO's choices lately. Big theropods, big ornithopods, big ceratopsians, and now it's big sauropods. And I like all those groups. But the fact remains that PNSO appears reluctant to tackle any of the smaller dinosaurs. It's been six years now since they appeared on the scene and we still haven't gotten a single dromaeosaur or ornithomimosaur from them. Nor a big pterosaur figure, just the three miniatures.

But as always, these are my own personal peeves and I'm happy for those who are happy about the prospect of Suchomimus, Diplodocus, and Megalosaurus.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

I'm sure they would do Diplodocus well.  But it seems a wasted opportunity given there are other sauropods (and sauropodomorphs), known equally from decent fossil material, that have not made it into model form. I already have several Diplodocus models, including the Battat. Given their size, I wouldn't succumb to another. I need to be sensible about shelf space. It's not like squeezing in another mid-size ceratopsian or hadrosaur!

Samrukia

Quote from: suspsy on August 07, 2022, 02:30:46 PMNot gonna lie, I find myself very bored by PNSO's choices lately. Big theropods, big ornithopods, big ceratopsians, and now it's big sauropods. And I like all those groups. But the fact remains that PNSO appears reluctant to tackle any of the smaller dinosaurs. It's been six years now since they appeared on the scene and we still haven't gotten a single dromaeosaur or ornithomimosaur from them. Nor a big pterosaur figure, just the three miniatures.

But as always, these are my own personal peeves and I'm happy for those who are happy about the prospect of Suchomimus, Diplodocus, and Megalosaurus.

we got Microraptor though

suspsy

True, we did get Microraptor, but we haven't gotten Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Austroraptor, or any other dromaeosaurs. The Microraptor's existence actually makes it even more saddening because it proves that PNSO can do a really great job sculpting feathers. 

KeU

Quote from: suspsy on August 06, 2022, 06:58:03 PMMeh. Carnegie, Safari, and Eofauna have already nailed Diplodocus. Now if it were Galeamopus or Barosaurus PNSO was tackling, that would be more exciting.
I would absolutely jump on the Barosaurus.
It is simply not getting enough attention like Diplodocus and Apatosaurus.

Sim

Apatosaurus doesn't get enough attention too.  It's quite interesting, more so than Diplodocus that everyone seems to want to make nowadays.  There isn't a good Apatosaurus figure available.

Chasmosaurus

We'll see
I have the impression that they are releasing figures by theme, with some exceptions
First We had a lot of big theropods
Then some Thyreophora
Then ceratopsidae
Then marine creatures
Now it seems that sauropods are in the spotlight
They will eventually create a series of Maniraptora.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

Thialfi

Quote from: Sim on August 07, 2022, 08:03:20 PMApatosaurus doesn't get enough attention too.  It's quite interesting, more so than Diplodocus that everyone seems to want to make nowadays.  There isn't a good Apatosaurus figure available.
Right? I was looking into apatosaurus figures and there isn't a whole lot to get excited about. Papo, if you look at reasonable prices? And that one isn't exactly great either. That's about it. Very strange for such a well known species.

Bokisaurus

Making a diplodocus makes sense in the business side, it's popular and well known species for sure and if they do it at the same 1:35 scale could be epic.
Most every major brand have it in their collection so why shouldn't PNSO do so as well?
I have mentioned in one of my reviews that perhaps making some of the smaller dinosaurs such as the raptors that would be too small as stand alone figures unless they are released under the mini set,  as an accessory add on to their museum line would be cool and unique.
I would love to see the famous velociraptor and protoceratops pair as a museum line model😃

The super expensive Nanmu apatosaurus is nice and impressive in size that could go well with the 1:35 scale models.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: suspsy on August 07, 2022, 05:22:35 PMTrue, we did get Microraptor, but we haven't gotten Velociraptor, Deinonychus, Utahraptor, Austroraptor, or any other dromaeosaurs. The Microraptor's existence actually makes it even more saddening because it proves that PNSO can do a really great job sculpting feathers. 
I would love a Deinonychus from them.  I'd especially love a Utahraptor to replace that...thing that REBOR called a Utahraptor.  Probably the only REBOR figure I actively regret purchasing.  So much so that I took the transparent stand thing I had sitting under it and have let it droop sadly to the side.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Carnoking

My Lingwulong has arrived, just in time for the next reveal no doubt. So nice to have a big, chunky sauropod (that isn't a Jurassic Park Brach) hitting my collection again!*

*Even if it doesn't reach the same heights PNSO have achieved in the past  ;)

That being said, I do hope PNSO is somewhat merciful with their sauropod releases. My long boi shelf is simply at capacity!

Halichoeres

It's a bit strange that there have been very few good Apatosaurus figures recently (Safari's in 2010, Papo's in 2015, no, Nanmu doesn't count), but I think it's equally strange that only CollectA has attempted Brontosaurus since the genus was resurrected.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Schleich made a Brontosaurus recently too, but I imagine your mind didn't want to remember that horrorshow.  Regarding Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus lacking figures and Diplodocus getting a lot, I have a feeling it might be because Diplodocus is more slender than Apato and Bronto and so it uses less plastic and ends up costing less, which companies think would make it a better seller.  It's a shame since the thickness of Apatosaurus is very interesting and makes it a tough animal.  It really should get a satisfying figure.  And on that note I have to say I think the Papo Apatosaurus is horrible, the shrink-wrapped segmented neck makes it look like an invertebrate attached to the body of a sauropod.

suspsy

I don't think the Schleich Brontosaurus is all that bad. I like it better than the Papo Apatosaurus.

Gwangi

For me the last good Apatosaurus was the Safari 2010 one. I still like it well enough but we're long overdue for another. I always assumed that Apatosaurus was more popular than Diplodocus but maybe that's not the case anymore. Has Diplodocus usurped Apatosaurus with the younger generations? Is Walking With Dinosaurs to blame? I've recently become fascinated by how dinosaur popularity has changed between the generations and how new discoveries and media exposure influences that.

I'm also surprised that only CollectA has jumped on the "Brontosaurus is back" bandwagon.

Carnoking

I guess I don't know enough about Apatosaurus but I always found Nanmu's apatosaurus (and by extension Sideshow's) to be nearer the mark than most efforts. I suppose the head (an admittedly important feature) seems a bit big and does sport the more mammalian qualities of Jurassic World's design but beyond that it never struck me as being a 1:1 replica of that design. That being said, are there other features that are disqualifying it or does it really come down to the head?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Carnoking on August 09, 2022, 10:15:39 PMavatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres

I guess I don't know enough about Apatosaurus but I always found Nanmu's apatosaurus (and by extension Sideshow's) to be nearer the mark than most efforts. I suppose the head (an admittedly important feature) seems a bit big and does sport the more mammalian qualities of Jurassic World's design but beyond that it never struck me as being a 1:1 replica of that design. That being said, are there other features that are disqualifying it or does it really come down to the head?

Nanmu's Apatosaurus while not really wrong is a Frankenstein's monster, neck/head Jurassic World while the body is copied from the Sideshow Apatosaurus.  they did the same thing with the last bull/buck rex.

Sim

I had forgotten that Mojo also made a Brontosaurus recently.

Halichoeres

avatar_Sim @Sim yeah I'd forgotten about both the Mojo and Schleich Brontosaurus figures, so I guess there has been an uptick, just mostly not among the companies I pay attention to/commit to memory.

avatar_Carnoking @Carnoking I think I was tarring Nanmu's Apatosaurus with a JW-shaped brush, because that's most of what they make, but I looked up some photos and they did depart in significant ways from the JW design, improving it relative to both the movie version and, for example, their Brachiosaurus. The head is still very off-putting but it isn't as bad a figure as I was imagining.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: