News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Fembrogon's Bestiary (post-2020)

Started by Fembrogon, January 06, 2022, 10:04:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fembrogon

...So, here are some shots sampling what sort of critters are currently displayed from the bestiary. I have three primary spots with space reserved, where now and then I'll shuffle what gets unboxed/un-stored from the closet.

First there's the big bookshelf, with space on top to hold some of the larger figures in my collection. Until just the other day, I've had the Hammond Collection T.rex dominating the shelf (accompanied by the ceratopsians); but it was high time for a change, so Rexy has gone to the closet while her BotM cousins enjoy the spotlight.

Despite being a bookshelf, most of the space is taken up by boxes, with a few free-roaming figurines now and then...

Next is the little bookshelf top, which actually came first before I realized my habits required additional storage space for the room.
I've dedicated this spot for figures that been queued for reviews, and so they sit there ever so patiently WAITING...

Finally I've got the end of my headboard, where I display whatever I feel like at the time. Since Haolonggood's been on a roll lately, I've been displaying most of them here; they'll probably be replaced by Safari figures next.

Concavenator

Nice display! I'm assuming that must be a very small % of your collection on display.

Do you plan on getting any of the upcoming species from Cyberzoic/Beasts of the Mesozoic?

SidB

I like the idea of the rotating display at the end of your headboard - keeps things fresh, new and vital.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Concavenator on September 04, 2023, 11:41:06 AMNice display! I'm assuming that must be a very small % of your collection on display.

Do you plan on getting any of the upcoming species from Cyberzoic/Beasts of the Mesozoic?
It's a small % indeed! A quick look at my DTC (DinoToyCollector) profile tells me I have over 650 individual items in my collection (seriously?!), and I'd estimate about 200-250 of those were acquired post-2020-move (seriously?!?! :o ). As those last photos indicate, there's simply no way I could display that all at once. Future life goals, I suppose!

As for Cyberzoic and BotM: I definitely want the Utahraptor and Dilophosaurus (probably Cyber ver. and BotM ver., respectively), but I might have to stop there. I didn't pledge for any of the big wave 3 tyrants, and I don't see myself having the budget or space for the likes of Allosaurus, Stegosaurus, etc. Maybe a couple of the mammals, or the Deinonychus? We'll see what comes.

marisaura

such a neat display! the BOTM dryptosaurus is quite the showstopper. i don't have any of their figures at the moment, but between how good it looks and the fact it's an appalachian species, i've really been considering taking the plunge :-X

Fembrogon

A couple more belated photos of team tyrant:

The bigger three:

...And the whole gang:

David Silva has been doing a fine job, no question. This lot is also a fine example of how effectively a "simple" range of greys, yellows & browns can be utilized to great variety.

Faelrin

I re-dug through this thread from page 1 to here, and I'm absolutely impressed at how much assortment you have in your collection, from classic vintage figures, to more modern ones.

Great pics as well to capture so many of these unique figures.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

It really is a great collection! A rotating display definitely has advantages. It can be nice to really focus on and appreciate a subset of one's collection for a little while. I've done something similar when I've lived in smaller spaces than my current apartment.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Fembrogon

A few much-belated new photos, courtesy of figuring out a new phone and its camera:

Safari Ltd. (2023) - Utahraptor

At long last, the biggest of "raptor" dinos has a worthy figurine to its name. I continue to be flabbergasted by the scarcity of good dromaeosaur replicas on the market (ignoring Schleich's attempts), so I'm delighted to at least see Safari and Doug Watson slowly setting a bar for quality, should Collecta, PNSO, etc ever dare to meet the challenge. While the color patterns and pose seem rather simplistic, the effect is satisfactory and feels like an easy eye-grabber for buyers of any age. The sculpt, of course, is terrific - besides some warping on the jaws of my copy. I know we tend to lament the over-saturation of toy theropods, but I sure hope this one sells like gangbusters. Bring on more raptors!

Safari Ltd. (2023) - Estemmenosuchus

A non-dinosaur, huzzah! I've been behind on obtaining Collecta's version of this creature, but I'm happy to see another take on an unusual creature on the market - and I like this one better anyway. This is one Safari model which truly OWNS its "brown-and-orange" coloration; just look at how saturated it is! The orange also contrasts nicely with the other 2023 prehistoric releases - or should I say compliments, in the case of the bright blue Utahraptor above? All in all a very pleasing new addition.
Now to save up for the rest of Safari's new beasts to arrive in stock. Budgets have only continued getting tighter, so no guarantees when this thread will be active again.

Gwangi

QuoteBudgets have only continued getting tighter, so no guarantees when this thread will be active again.

Ugh, tell me about it! I was hoping to sneak a few more figures into my collection this year, including the Utahraptor, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Your pictures make me want it even more!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Fembrogon on September 29, 2023, 03:20:08 AMA non-dinosaur, huzzah!

The long and short of it. This Estemmenosuchus is a real breath of fresh air!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Fembrogon

New dinos, yay!

Mattel Dino Trackers - Borealopelta
Now and then Mattel still manages to entice me enough to acquire a new toy or two. This one I picked up when I did because I found it sneaking in between swarms of theropods on the Walmart hooks, and for half the price on Amazon. Sadly it also appears to have had issues in the factory, because some of the spikes are sheared off at the tips. Ouch.
It's cool to see a genus like Borealopelta in the Jurassic World brand, and with a design that's pretty nice, too. I like how "tall" the figure appears; this isn't an old-fashioned ground hugger, but an alert animal that carries itself high.

ToyMonster Captivz - Compsognathus
avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi's review convinced me to give a gamble, and thankfully it paid off. I do believe this is my first figure ever of Compsognathus - which, now that I think about it, almost feels wrong to say. Decades of literature fame and yet so few toys to its name.
This one's a winner, though. I like the size and detail, and as a 90s/00s-era design it fits just right.

The other four Captivz I came home with (also pretty good for what they are):

Tyrannosaurus (amber ver)

Velociraptor Hatchling (regular and gold ver)

Jose S.M.

The sculpt on Borealopelta's body is beautiful! Its one of the best that I've seen from a JW figure.

Gwangi

Happy to hear that my review was of use to you, there are a couple of members that tracked down that Compsognathus because of the review and that makes the effort to write them worth it. I'm jealous of your raptor hatchling. That's one of the few I'm still trying to find but after a couple repeat figures I think it's time to give up. I hate getting repeats with bling bags but I know that's part of the game. Not a big deal if I don't find it, I don't NEED it. I actually have two already but they're both the amber variants and I would rather have the natural looking one.

Fembrogon

Papo 2023 - Kronosaurus
As I covered in my official DTB review, Papo managed to impress me with this figure; it captures the right blend of scientific accuracy and artistic license to create a distinct design that's appealing on both major fronts. All the inner skeletal work seems really solid, while the soft tissues have been stylized for a more dramatic flair. Of the few Papo figurines I actually own, this one might be my new favorite.

I'd also be happy to see Papo produce more ancient marine reptiles if they consistently come out this well. How about a Cymbospondylus or Metriorhynchus next?

suspsy

Metriorhynchus would be great—-only if it's sculpted by Seo.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Haha that gold raptor. Like, why? The compy is really nice, though! A thing that bugs me is that in JP:TLW, they are referred to as Compsognathus triassicus. Does that mean they are really Procompsognathus, like in the JP novel?

Fembrogon

That's a good point, I hadn't really considered that before. In that case I'd say yeah, these are more accurately Procompsognathus in the same fashion the Velociraptors are more accurately Deinonychus.

Faelrin

Isn't the Brachiosaurus really Giraffatitan too? And of course the Fallen Kingdom Sinoceratops is a mishmash of Pachyrhinosaurus designs (WWD and the outdated huge horn idea).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Fembrogon

Big haul of hollow vinyls:

Sega, Dinosaur King (LG series)
I've been meaning to acquire more of this line for a while, and I finally pulled the trigger on some lots through Mercari (with help from avatar_brettnj @brettnj). I think I've got most of the figures from this line I was really interested in now, but I'll keep watch if the opportunity to get more arises again.
I like this series; they're simple, fun toys with an impressive variety of genera. The hard, hollow vinyl reminds me of older Bandai monster figures, which I'm kind of sentimental for. One of these days I should seriously try watching the show, both for kicks and for being aware of the source material.
I haven't done deep research yet, but I've catalogued them as they were numbered to my knowledge so far. I think the cartoony mascot characters were also featured in this line? I'm not worried about ever acquiring those.

No. 01: Triceratops

No. 06: Saichania - a very prickly-looking fella!

No. 15: Pachycephalosaurus

No. 16: Pteranodon - or would this be Geosternbergia now, based on the crest?

No. 17: Futabasaurus - Japan is quite fond of this plesiosaur, aren't they? I'm not complaining, mind you.

No. 18: Seismosaurus - I barely fit this figure in my lightbox, it's LONG. I do enjoy owning a Seismosaurus toy now, even though the genus got rolled into Diplodocus.

comparison with Happinet Supersaurus and Favorite co. Diplodocus

No. 19: Deinonychus - classic mangy neon 2000s raptor. I dig it.

No. 24: Saltasaurus

No. 25: Saurophaganax - I get Luis Rey vibes again from this one and that's a good thing.

No. 26: Megaraptor - a genus I would have loved to own in toy form as a kid. A real "novelty theropod" to me, one that rarely appeared in literature but was always exciting to see.

comparison with Happinet Fukuiraptor - two "generations" of megaraptorid reconstructions. Funny to see how drastically they've changed.

No. 27: Saurolophus - one of my favorites in this line, very simple and elegant in appearance.

No. 28: Pentaceratops

No. 36: "Titanosaurus", ie Isisaurus - you know what? I'm not sure, but learning of this toy might have been my introduction to the genus. Of course, following Prehistoric Planet 2 now I'm hungry for more toys of it.

Amusingly, I feel like the more obscure dinos ended up getting the more intersting figures; Triceratops feels incredibly plain compared to Isisaurus, Saichainia, or Saurophaganax. They look very nice altogether, though; I'll have to try doing a group shot soon.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: