News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2022

Started by Halichoeres, January 19, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 30, 2022, 10:03:27 PMLOL for £29.99 no chance

Geez, that's the same as the price in USD. The pound has really taken a beating.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ceratopsian

Given that it's virtually at parity and has been heading that way for some weeks, the price came as no surprise. 

Quote from: Halichoeres on October 03, 2022, 03:41:05 AM
Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 30, 2022, 10:03:27 PMLOL for £29.99 no chance

Geez, that's the same as the price in USD. The pound has really taken a beating.

Lynx

I am very surprised at just how high the price is, 30 dollars is enough to afford a PNSO model or two. Does anyone have a size comparison with a couple other safari models?
An oversized house cat.

Shane

Quote from: Lynx on October 03, 2022, 03:43:47 PMI am very surprised at just how high the price is, 30 dollars is enough to afford a PNSO model or two. Does anyone have a size comparison with a couple other safari models?

There are detailed comparison pictures posted by Fembrogon on page 56 of this very thread.

$30 will not buy you a whole lot from PNSO, and anything it will get you is going to be around 1/3 the size of the Patagotitan.

Lynx

Quote from: Shane on October 03, 2022, 05:14:25 PM
Quote from: Lynx on October 03, 2022, 03:43:47 PMI am very surprised at just how high the price is, 30 dollars is enough to afford a PNSO model or two. Does anyone have a size comparison with a couple other safari models?

There are detailed comparison pictures posted by Fembrogon on page 56 of this very thread.

$30 will not buy you a whole lot from PNSO, and anything it will get you is going to be around 1/3 the size of the Patagotitan.

Might pick it up in that case.
An oversized house cat.

ceratopsian

Thanks for your input S @Shane - your comments are always appreciated.

Shane

Quote from: Lynx on October 03, 2022, 05:16:03 PM

Some lower end PNSO models are more like 1/2 the size rather than 1/3...but still they're quite small in comparison, and the days of $20 PNSO figures appear to be over, most of their lower end figures are now at least around $40, and what you'd be getting is unlikely to be longer than 7 or 8 inches, compared to the Patogotitan's length of about 16 inches.

Your mileage may vary regarding where you'd like to spend your money, but what $30 will get you from PNSO vs. what $30 will get you from Safari Ltd is quite different.

Lynx

Quote from: Shane on October 03, 2022, 06:18:35 PM
Quote from: Lynx on October 03, 2022, 05:16:03 PM

Some lower end PNSO models are more like 1/2 the size rather than 1/3...but still they're quite small in comparison, and the days of $20 PNSO figures appear to be over, most of their lower end figures are now at least around $40, and what you'd be getting is unlikely to be longer than 7 or 8 inches, compared to the Patogotitan's length of about 16 inches.

Your mileage may vary regarding where you'd like to spend your money, but what $30 will get you from PNSO vs. what $30 will get you from Safari Ltd is quite different.

Most of the times I have bought from safari it ended up being a better bang for my buck than PNSOs offerings, so I'll gladly take this over a much smaller figure.
An oversized house cat.

Fembrogon

Reply #1103, to be precise.
The Patagotitan is larger than pretty much any PNSO models priced at the same amount, but it's not as finely detailed or painted - although it's certainly not a bad-looking model. One can also compare it in size to Safari's own feathered T.rex and swimming Spinosaurus, to name a couple of Safari's largest dinosaurs currently in production.

Strepsodus

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 02, 2022, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: Shane on August 02, 2022, 02:43:53 PMThere actually are a surprising amount of fan requests for an Indominus Rex from people who don't seem to grasp that the entire reason for its creation was to give Universal its own "copyrighted" dinosaur.

That's depressing on several levels.

At least it's probably just the 5-12 year old little kids asking for an Indominus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Strepsodus on October 05, 2022, 09:33:24 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on August 02, 2022, 04:55:17 PM
Quote from: Shane on August 02, 2022, 02:43:53 PMThere actually are a surprising amount of fan requests for an Indominus Rex from people who don't seem to grasp that the entire reason for its creation was to give Universal its own "copyrighted" dinosaur.

That's depressing on several levels.

At least it's probably just the 5-12 year old little kids asking for an Indominus rex.

It's not I can almost guarantee it.

Flaffy

I'm not sure if it's just bad luck, or if there's a running issue with the production batch, but both of my Safari Patagotitans from ED seem to suffer from noticeable paint mishaps, particularly on the head. Something I haven't really noticed on copies in online (e.g. avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon 's DTB review)  and Youtube reviews; A @Andysdinosaurreviews , avatar_SpinoDude @SpinoDude and DinoScreamReviews 's copies come to mind, all of which have much more precise and nicer paint apps than the ones I have on hand.

Batch #0122

Common issues:
- Brown splotches on the face
- Over-painted eyes
- Random flecks of paint (so far I've gotten red on the first, and blue on the second)

Which is weird as the rest of the body's paint work is pretty up to standard, with no noticeable issues. A shame too since the head is such a focal point for any given model, and having those splotches is highly distracting to me personally.

Copy 1

Copy 2, which also seems to be missing paint on it's left face, but is hard to photograph properly.

SidB

I find it very useful to possess some small skill with paint and brush, so that the relatively small paint mishaps on Safaro figures can be readily corrected with a minimum of fuss. For the price here in Toronto, Canada,these errors, when they manifest, don't turn me off on the brand, which I consider to be fine value for the money. I turn to my friend for more serious fixes, usually involving dental work around the mouth , especially for very precise teeth  and gum detailing or for major figure repaints. Usually a small touch up is all that is needed, which I can handle.

Flaffy

Quote from: SidB on October 10, 2022, 02:32:46 PMI find it very useful to possess some small skill with paint and brush, so that the relatively small paint mishaps on Safaro figures can be readily corrected with a minimum of fuss. For the price here in Toronto, Canada,these errors, when they manifest, don't turn me off on the brand, which I consider to be fine value for the money. I turn to my friend for more serious fixes, usually involving dental work around the mouth , especially for very precise teeth  and gum detailing or for major figure repaints. Usually a small touch up is all that is needed, which I can handle.

S @SidB Unfortunately I'm terrible at colour matching. So I generally prefer to get figures that are without flaws (or major flaws) right from the get go. Touch ups on areas with dark coloured paint are simple (e.g. dark grey, black), but lighter tones I struggle to make the customisations blend in with the original colour scheme (case in point, the light tan face of the Patagotitan)

So it seems like I am just unlucky. As paleocollector's copy, also from Batch #0122 has perfectly fine face paint. Overpainted eyes yes, but no brown spots, random flecks of paint, and evenly distributed brown/tan wash on both sides of the face.

SidB

I hear you, avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy , I too wish that the Safaris were more consistently finished, especially on the more expensive models, where prices start to approach the PNSO's. Errors on and around the eyes are particularly exasperating to correct, in my experience. And true, some color variations are considerably more vexing to match. One advantage to Safaris use (overuse) of certain colors is that once you are able to find the right combination of color blending, then you've 'got it' for the near future at least. Maybe you can locate a nearby individual with a steady hand and an artistic flair, as a long-term project. Best of luck!

Shane

Safari does do quality checks on new items, but it's not practical to check every single figure, unless there are glaring obvious problems with a majority of a shipment.

The reality is with shipments of thousands of items, unfortunately you do find the occasional hiccup or slop.

I am sorry that you seem to have gotten some paint defects twice in a row, but they do appear relatively minor.

I'm still a bit mystified by the price comparisons with PNSO that keep coming up. Any PNSO sauropod of similar size to the Patagotitan would easily cost twice as much.

Lynx

To be honest, I will take a scuffed large figure over a tiny possibly meh-quality figure that's the same price.
An oversized house cat.

Flaffy

Quote from: Shane on October 11, 2022, 01:33:50 PMSafari does do quality checks on new items, but it's not practical to check every single figure, unless there are glaring obvious problems with a majority of a shipment.

The reality is with shipments of thousands of items, unfortunately you do find the occasional hiccup or slop.

I am sorry that you seem to have gotten some paint defects twice in a row, but they do appear relatively minor.

Since the Patagotitan is on the higher end of Safari figures in terms of price, a part of me does have slightly higher expectations for QC. Especially since the paint job isn't as intricate as say the cheaper Camarasaurus.

Never had QC issues like this with Safari twice in a row, as the rest of the shipment of other Safari figures came perfect. So hopefully this is just the exception rather than the norm. Still really want a Patagotitan with good QC though. S @Shane

QuoteI'm still a bit mystified by the price comparisons with PNSO that keep coming up. Any PNSO sauropod of similar size to the Patagotitan would easily cost twice as much.

While I agree that PNSO and Safari products are fundementally different in so many ways, this comparison might not hold with the release of the Lingwulong. The Lingwulong retails for £48, and the Patagotitan at £30. Both figures are of similar length, but the Lingwulong is noticeably the larger and taller figure. So by that logic if we shrunk the Lingulong down to the Patagotitan's size, I'd reckon it approaching the £40 mark.

suspsy

Quote from: Shane on October 11, 2022, 01:33:50 PMI'm still a bit mystified by the price comparisons with PNSO that keep coming up. Any PNSO sauropod of similar size to the Patagotitan would easily cost twice as much.

This is gospel right here.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: