News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Poses in Theropod figures…

Started by CARN0TAURUS, January 26, 2022, 07:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Yes exactly. Again, I was originally against it because of how low to the ground it is at, but it looked so much better in hand as opposed to images. I would say in hand compared to images also really sway a person's opinion on the figure's pose, followed by just the figure in general.

Bread, so since you have Yutyrannus when you look at it close.  How do you interpret the pose?  What do you imagine it's doing?  I ask because when I see raptors portrayed this way I always imagine them about to pounce on something like jump on some animals back to use their huge claws.  But Yutyrannus was 30 feet long, I can't imagine he's preparing to jump on something at that size he'd probably be too big and heavy to do much jumping, no?  I like to imagine that he's in the process of getting up off the ground from a resting position.  That's the thing that makes the most sense to me for an animal that size.  It's also possible that he's been feeding and is looking up but with the right so far behind the left leg it implies movement that wouldn't be there if he was just feeding, IDK.  But I still want to buy this one DESPITE the fact that I'm not super crazy about the pose.  It's still a gorgeous sculpt so this would be an exception to my sculpt preferences for sure.

Lynx

I am not the biggest fan of the Yuty but after having it in hand for a couple weeks now I have to say it is a great figure! At the moment (if you need display ideas) I have it looking up at a Utahraptor pack trying to steal its prey   :D
An oversized house cat.

SRF

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 27, 2022, 05:19:57 PM
Quote from: SRF on January 27, 2022, 11:28:10 AM
I don't feel Wilson is in a unnatural pose at all, but his pose works best if you place him on your shelf charging at a Triceratops (luckily we now have Doyle 2.0!). I do feel his tail could probably be a bit thicker to give the image of counter balancing the weight of him charging forward. But the figure is so very well balanced the way it is that I find his pose very believable. Wilons pose is very much like the pose of the AMNH 5027 skeleton reconstruction which it is based on, slightly leaning more forward.

Personally, I like poses that give the impression that the animal is active and alive, doing natural things. When it comes to PNSO theropods, I actually like the pose of the Yutyrannus the most. It reminds me a bit of the pose of T. Rex Trix that resides in the Naturalis Museum here in the Netherlands.

The theropods with the least dynamic poses are also the least interesting for me, that being the Torvosaurus and the Carcharodontosaurus when it comes to PNSO theropods. Not saying that they are bad figures though.

A unique resting pose like Andrea's (besides the obvious flaws in the legs on that one of course) makes a figure also a lot more interesting.

Wilson's pose reminds me a lot of an old dinosaur book illustration I loved back in the 1970s when I was in elementary school.  I checked this book out the maximum number of times allowed per month every single month of third grade year.  Nobody else was checking it out when I wasn't and so the card was filled up with my name.  The librarian at the school offerred to sell it me for a quarter at the end of the school year!  It was like Christmas in June!  I was over the moon and without hesitation I immediately used my milk money on the book, LOL!  It was one of my most prized possessions in my room.  Unfortunately I don't have the book anymore :(  the illistrations in this book were painted by JH Matternes. 

Wilson's pose reminds me of this image but looking to his right instead of left like the T-rex in the illustration.  Wilson appears to be making a rapid move to outflank his prey by circling around to it's rear much like what this old painting shows this  T-rex doing.  But unlike the old painting Wilson's chest is much lower to the ground so he must be frozen in mid strike like if he's just about to make contact.

At least that's how I interpret the wilson 2.0 pose.  On the scale of overdone bad poses it doesn't even register.  So perhaps I've come across as overly critical of it and but that wasn't my intention.  For the price it's just the wrong pose and wrong skin for me.  If I'm going to pay that much I want to be as close to satisfied with all those things first and so I find myself waiting for Wilson 3.0.  Read back on my posts and I've actually paid wilson many compliments too.  The hands, feet, and I love the lipless look so Wilson would've been a purchase for me if the skin was better because the pose while not ideal for me it would've been acceptable nonetheless.

That illustration is like day and night compared to Wilson if you ask me.
But today, I'm just being father

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Lynx on January 27, 2022, 05:50:35 PM
I am not the biggest fan of the Yuty but after having it in hand for a couple weeks now I have to say it is a great figure! At the moment (if you need display ideas) I have it looking up at a Utahraptor pack trying to steal its prey   :D

That sounds about right, it's preparing to defend it's meal.

Fenestra

I'm a sucker for good poses. 90% of dinosaur figures are just standing still, looking forward or taking a big step. And for some reason, always with their mouths open. Great way to catch flies.  ;D

The reason I bought the Yutyrannosaurus, is because IMO it looks like it is following a trail on the ground.
By smell or by sight? I don't know, but it is close enough to look up to see if it can see its pray already.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Fenestra on January 27, 2022, 08:51:52 PM
I'm a sucker for good poses. 90% of dinosaur figures are just standing still, looking forward or taking a big step. And for some reason, always with their mouths open. Great way to catch flies.  ;D

The reason I bought the Yutyrannosaurus, is because IMO it looks like it is following a trail on the ground.
By smell or by sight? I don't know, but it is close enough to look up to see if it can see its pray already.

I love the way safari ltd portrayed Yutyrannosaurus, I realize the non lipped issue with the figure might be a problem for a lot of you.  But it's a simple effective walking pose and he doesn't look like he's crouching like a raptor.  Would a 3 ton animal be able to crouch like that, probably, who really knows?  Maybe even bulky T-rex could do it, we just don't know.  I was thinking on why Yutyrannus is portrayed more like a giant raptor than a T-rex and it ocurred to me that, besides the feathers, the longer arms and third claw might have something to do with it?  Otherwise how do we explain Nanuqsaurus depictions?  Also feathured but having two claws and shorter arms he's almost universally portrayed like most tyrannosaurs.  I'm not sure I've ever seen him illustrated in a crouching raptor like pose.

Pachyrhinosaurus

When it comes to figures in general (not specific to theropods or even dinosaurs) I prefer neutral poses. Sitting, standing, or in a gentle walking pose. I like to think of it in terms of what you'd see an animal doing if you were to see it at a zoo (minus sleeping, of course).

As for theropods, I'm fine with tripods as long as it's a good figure. In fact, one of my favorite theropod figures, the new Carnegie Carnotaurus, is a tripod.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 28, 2022, 04:43:49 PM
When it comes to figures in general (not specific to theropods or even dinosaurs) I prefer neutral poses. Sitting, standing, or in a gentle walking pose. I like to think of it in terms of what you'd see an animal doing if you were to see it at a zoo (minus sleeping, of course).

As for theropods, I'm fine with tripods as long as it's a good figure. In fact, one of my favorite theropod figures, the new Carnegie Carnotaurus, is a tripod.

Speaking of tripods, here is a pose that I'd think would be a default pose from EVERY SINGLE company for theropods.  Here's a behavior that happened 2-4 times a week with these animals.  This aspect of them is what fascinates so many of us with these giant predators.  Perhaps some might see this as inappropriate for children, but certainly a company like PNSO or Eofauna that cater more to the adult collector this type of pose seems like something we should get regularly.  And many variations on this tripod design can be done!  Different prey species can be done that would be scientifically correct for that specific predator, the predator can be posed looking around while feeding, taking a chunk out like in this particular piece.  The predator could have a wound inflicted by the prey that looks fresh etc...  so much variation could be done here, one leg holding down the carcass while ripping a piece off, maybe a simple standing in front of an already well eaten animal the predator is getting full.  I've seen pictures of lions that feel asleep on top of their lunch using them like a pillow while they digest before having another helping.  I understand that the Kaiyodo is a tiny figure but for the price that the new PNSO museum line is selling there is no way they couldn't do this at 1/35 and not make really good profits.  Bye bye unstable stances, bye bye plastic rods.  And look at the paintwork on this little guy, putting the big figures to shame!  BTW, whoever Kaiyodo paid to take these promo pictures screwed up, the Torbosaurus' mouth fits snuggly onto the bite mark area on the duckbill dinosaur and also the foot should insert into the flesh on the leg thats holding the prey down.  I have this little figure and I love it!!!  I would gladly pay Wilson 2.0 prices for something like this at 1/35 scale!

CARN0TAURUS

At 1/35 scale you'd probably have to embed a metal rod from the base all the way up into the animals belly.  It would have to go upwards thru the right leg in order to get this to work with the increased weight.  If a company like Rebor can embed pliable wire in the tails of their dinosaurs then they should be able to embed metal rod that could hold a 1/35 scale figure in place with zero warping.  Something like this would be an automatic purchase for me.

bmathison1972

Poses aren't really a concern for me, but I prefer natural and neutral (although dynamic is OK).

Bases don't bother me at all.

I'd probably prefer a 'tripod' stance to overly enlarged feed.

I also don't need every theropod to have its mouth gaping open; I like it when from time to time they are sculpted with their mouths closed.

Dinos are not the main focus of my collection, and even then theropods are probably my least favorite group (well except extant birds, but not to get pedantic). If Doug Watson sculpts a theropod, I'll get it  ;D

Shonisaurus

Honestly, clown feet don't bother me, nor do they bother me that they are supported by the tail, that is, tripod animals, although I know that this is not scientific, it is the only way that with a bit of luck that figure does not give in to instability with the passage of time, although I do like highly scientific models of clown-footed theropods.

The solution would be to put a tiny base to theropods as happens with Battat's "snow-footed" tyrannosaurus by the unforgettable Dan Lorusso.

Another solution would be with fixed bases as I like them but I know that this is not very attractive for most collectors and like everything they also tend to deform over time. In my case, due to the dry climate in my city, these bases have fortunately not presented any problem, so I am still in favor of them, but logically it depends on the weather.

Fenestra

Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 28, 2022, 02:37:16 PM

....  Would a 3 ton animal be able to crouch like that, probably, who really knows?  Maybe even bulky T-rex could do it, we just don't know. ...

Doesn't a 3 ton animal need to drink water too?
And if it does, doesn't it need to crouch down? For a river or puddle?
Or does it fall on its belly whenever it sees a riverside and laps up water like a cat?

Why is the pose of the PNSO Yutyrannosaurus so awkward to you? It looks very lifelike to me.
Just asking out of curiosity, not trying to start a flame war here.  *peace*

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Fenestra on January 30, 2022, 10:47:14 PM
Quote from: CARN0TAURUS on January 28, 2022, 02:37:16 PM

....  Would a 3 ton animal be able to crouch like that, probably, who really knows?  Maybe even bulky T-rex could do it, we just don't know. ...

Doesn't a 3 ton animal need to drink water too?
And if it does, doesn't it need to crouch down? For a river or puddle?
Or does it fall on its belly whenever it sees a riverside and laps up water like a cat?

Why is the pose of the PNSO Yutyrannosaurus so awkward to you? It looks very lifelike to me.
Just asking out of curiosity, not trying to start a flame war here.  *peace*

I'm certain I didn't say it was awkward, I said it was strange that it's so reminiscent of velociraptor poses. Yutyrannosaurus was perhaps twice as large as the biggest species of raptors and was just a big animal.  I speculated that Yutyrannus and Nanuqsaurus were in the same size class but Nanuq is traditionally portrayed in the typical manner most tyrannosaurs are portrayed.  They both have feathers so it can't be the feathers so I concluded that it might be due to Yut having longer arms and three claws which give it a more raptor like appearance?  I'm definitely planning on getting the pnso version as soon as I have a chance to save up and catch it on sale.  It's definitely on my list to purchase even though I'd prefer it was in a more traditional walking pose, I still think it's a beautiful piece and an exception to my pose preferences.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 30, 2022, 04:58:14 PM
Honestly, clown feet don't bother me, nor do they bother me that they are supported by the tail, that is, tripod animals, although I know that this is not scientific, it is the only way that with a bit of luck that figure does not give in to instability with the passage of time, although I do like highly scientific models of clown-footed theropods.

The solution would be to put a tiny base to theropods as happens with Battat's "snow-footed" tyrannosaurus by the unforgettable Dan Lorusso.

Another solution would be with fixed bases as I like them but I know that this is not very attractive for most collectors and like everything they also tend to deform over time. In my case, due to the dry climate in my city, these bases have fortunately not presented any problem, so I am still in favor of them, but logically it depends on the weather.

I don't mind bases on figures, but I have had a couple deform a bit, my Safari Ltd Giga was leaning to his left a lot, I stuck a metal rod in between his inner thigh and the base and it somewhat solved the the issue because the base is no longer flat on the ground as the rod caused bulging.  It's not enough to become unstable but it's not flat anymore.  The other one I have that deformed a bit is the base on my CollectA Carnotaurus deluxe.  The Carnotaurus still looks straight but the base underneath warped up in a couple of small areas.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: bmathison1972 on January 30, 2022, 03:54:20 PM
Poses aren't really a concern for me, but I prefer natural and neutral (although dynamic is OK).

Bases don't bother me at all.

I'd probably prefer a 'tripod' stance to overly enlarged feed.

I also don't need every theropod to have its mouth gaping open; I like it when from time to time they are sculpted with their mouths closed.

Dinos are not the main focus of my collection, and even then theropods are probably my least favorite group (well except extant birds, but not to get pedantic). If Doug Watson sculpts a theropod, I'll get it  ;D

There are many creative ways to make an 'acceptable' theropod tripod figure, scroll up a couple of posts and you'll see one that can't believe companies don't do regularly.  I agree about the mouth but I do think theropods are some of the very few types of dinosaurs that I like having articulated mouths on.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.