News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

X-Plus/Star Ace New For 2022

Started by Over9K, February 04, 2022, 11:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragon53

Here is Wikipedia's list of Ray Harryhausen creatures.

Mighty Joe Young (1949, First technician)
        Mighty Joe Young
    The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms (1953, Visual effects)
        Rhedosaurus
    It Came from Beneath the Sea (1955, Visual effects)
        It (Giant octopus)
    The Animal World (1956, Effects technician, documentary)
        Brontosaurus
        Allosaurus
        Brontosaurus hatchling
        Stegosaurus
        Ceratosaurus
        Triceratops
        Tyrannosaurus
    Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956, Special photographic/animation effects)
        Flying saucers
    20 Million Miles to Earth (1957, Visual effects)
        Spaceship
        Ymir
        Elephant
    The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958, Associate producer, visual effects)
        Cyclops
        Serpent woman
        Roc hatchling
        Roc
        Skeleton
        Dragon
    The 3 Worlds of Gulliver (1960, Visual effects)
        Squirrel
        Crocodile
    Mysterious Island (1961, Special visual effects)
        Crab
        Phororhacos
        Cephalopod
        Bee
    Jason and the Argonauts (1963, Associate producer, visual effects)
        Talos
        Harpies
        Hydra
        Skeletons
    First Men in the Moon (1964, Associate producer, visual effects)
        Moonship
        Space Sphere
        Moon Cow
        Kate Calendar's skeleton
        Selenite
        Grand Lunar
    One Million Years B.C. (1966, Special visual effects)
        Brontosaurus
        Archelon
        Allosaurus
        Triceratops
        Ceratosaurus
        Pterodactyl
        Rhamphorhynchus
        Pterodactyl hatchlings
    The Valley of Gwangi (1969, Associate producer, visual effects)
        Horse
        Eohippus
        Pteranodon
        Ornithomimus
        Gwangi (Allosaurus/Tyrannosaurus)
        Styracosaurus
        Elephant
    The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973, Producer, visual effects)
        Homonicus
        Figurehead
        Kali
        Centaur
        Griffin
    Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977, Producer, visual effects)
        Ghouls
        Baboon
        Minoton
        Hornet
        Walrus
        Troglodyte
        Guardian of the Shrine
    Clash of the Titans (1981, Producer, visual effects)
        Vulture
        Pegasus
        Calibos
        Bubo (Mechanical Horned owl)
        Dioskilos
        Medusa
        Scorpions
        Kraken

cooksonia

I didn't think he had done King Kong or the Loch Ness Monster that I can recall from that list

dragon53

COOKSONIA:

I also wondered about King Kong and the Loch Ness monster on the list, but it was late at night so I let it go.
This morning, I checked both and see Harryhausen was interested in a movie titled BREAKOUT OF THE LOCH NESS MONSTER, but passed on it. I can find no reference to Harryhausen being involved in any King Kong remake, etc.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Over9K

First look at the first Licensed Jurassic Park/World product from X-Plus, in their scale model kit line, 1/35 Tyrannosaurus!

Not sure exactly what we're looking at here, but it seems to be some kind of render, not a physical thing.

EDIT: Looking at it closer, I think it might be a half body, mounted on a flat mirror? Maybe? I think this isn't the final pose, at any rate...

Over9K

Just saw this on FB, the Wonders Of Wild Spinosaurus in paint, and wow, just wow!

Darko2300

Oh man, that Spinosaurus looks terrible. Am I seeing the same thing everyone else is?  :o

Fenestra

The water effect is something I've never seen done before.
Very nice.

Thialfi

Quote from: Darko2300 on July 31, 2022, 04:01:41 AMOh man, that Spinosaurus looks terrible. Am I seeing the same thing everyone else is?  :o
I am confused yet curious what exactly you are referring to 👀

Sturisoma

My local supplier labels this as "Spinosaurus 1.0". Never bought from this brand but I'm interested in the fossil replica only, but seeing "1.0" makes me wonder if there is a 2.0, perhaps a JP 3 spino???

Darko2300

Quote from: Thialfi on July 31, 2022, 04:02:32 PM
Quote from: Darko2300 on July 31, 2022, 04:01:41 AMOh man, that Spinosaurus looks terrible. Am I seeing the same thing everyone else is?  :o
I am confused yet curious what exactly you are referring to 👀
Granted, these pictures are small, but there seems to be a disappointing lack of texture to the model (though this may be intentional), and the paint - well, it just looks too airbrushed and not very natural. I'm not sure I can articulate my thoughts any better. The paint application is the thing I just can't get over.  :o

paintingdinos

If the image Over9K posted is final, that paint scheme is jarring... I like experimental paint jobs and don't mind something that's off the beaten path, but I just don't see how this has shelf appeal to the average person. Unless of course you really commit to the underwater idea and put it against some sort of matching backdrop.

Standing solo on a shelf like most models are displayed, its going to stick out like sore thumb.

Darko2300

It's up for PO at BBTS and nope, still not doing it for me. I have the Mammoth, and that I'm in love with. I think I scored big-time there. https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/214158

Crackington

Quote from: dragon53 on July 16, 2022, 02:43:45 PMCOOKSONIA:

I also wondered about King Kong and the Loch Ness monster on the list, but it was late at night so I let it go.
This morning, I checked both and see Harryhausen was interested in a movie titled BREAKOUT OF THE LOCH NESS MONSTER, but passed on it. I can find no reference to Harryhausen being involved in any King Kong remake, etc.

I checked my Harryhausen books and he did make a King Kong film....when he was 14 years old and shortly after his first about a Cave Bear! These early forays helped him land a job with Willis O'Brien on Mighty Joe Young.

There's a nice picture of the Kong model in Vanessa Harryhausen's book "Titan of Cinema".

Sturisoma

From paleofiguras on fb. Seems to have 2 versions. Aquatic and Terrestrial, but only aquatic is up for pre-order for now.

I really don't know about this company, but I'm really tempted to buy just the fossil replica. I think it's a fair price. Can't find actual photos of it yet aside from promo pictures. I prefer the aquatic version, but I'm not yet 100% set on buying it. Aaand maybe I should wait if they will release a JP 3 spino since this one is named "Spinosaurus 1.0" hehe and they teased a JP logo recently.

Over9K

Quote from: Sturisoma on August 09, 2022, 03:37:24 AMI really don't know about this company, but I'm really tempted to buy just the fossil replica. I think it's a fair price. Can't find actual photos of it yet aside from promo pictures. I prefer the aquatic version, but I'm not yet 100% set on buying it. Aaand maybe I should wait if they will release a JP 3 spino since this one is named "Spinosaurus 1.0" hehe and they teased a JP logo recently.

The JP/JW logos were teasing a line of 1/35th scale model kits from the main X-Plus brand. No word on any kind of completed figures/statues as yet.

dragon53

CRACKINGTON:

Thanks for clarifying about Harryhausen's King Kong.
It's going to be interesting to see what Star Ace releases next in its Harryhausen line.

Halichoeres

It's a pretty daring paint job. The Onchopristis looks decent? Anybody want to split this so I can keep the fish and not the dinosaur?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

dragon53

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: