News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Creative Beast hopes and dreams

Started by Sim, April 19, 2022, 07:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

In this thread we can list things we'd like from Beasts of the Mesozoic/Cyberzoic!  This is what I'd like:

1. I read that David said he'll be releasing a number of the Raptor Series figures with new colour schemes at some point.  I would love it if he releases some new species as well, specifically the following:
Sinornithosaurus in 1:6 scale.  It could share the forelimbs and body with the accessory pack Microraptor, and its tail could have a big tail fan like Changyuraptor's!  Speaking of Changyuraptor, if David made one it could share its head, forelimbs and body with Microraptor and the tail with Sinornithosaurus.  I would love a BotM Sinornithosaurus as it's one of my favourite dromaeosaurids, and Sinornithosaurus is the first dromaeosaurid to be found with feathers.  It would also go well with the BotM Zhenyuanlong and Dilong as they all come from the Yixian Formation.  A BotM Sinornithosaurus could be sold on its own, or perhaps in a pack with Changyuraptor which is another species from the Yixian Formation.
Deinonychus in 1:18 scale.  Deinonychus is one of the most popular dinosaurs and the dinosaur that changed our understanding of dinosaurs from tail draggers to active animals, I'm sure a BotM version would be a huge success.  It could share parts with other "medium" sized raptors such as Tianyuraptor (a new, adult, specimen of it shows it grew to 2.5m long, which is shorter than Deinonychus's 3.4m, but the length difference is due to Tianyuraptor having a short tail and Deinonychus having a long tail).  A BotM Deinonychus (and Tianyuraptor) could also share parts with some troodontids and it would be so good to have them: Saurornithoides and Zanbazar would be my most-wanted choices but Stenonychosaurus and Latenivenatrix would be great too, maybe even Troodon since David did make the dubious Monoclonius.  This way the BotM juvenile Stenonychosaurus and Troodon could finally have adults.  Troodontids would be so good to have as there still aren't any good troodontid toys except for the juvenile BotM ones.  So to sum up, I'd love a BotM Deinonychus and troodontids in 1:18 scale.

2. Since David is still adding figures to the BotM Ceratopsian Series, I would like it if he added a Chasmosaurus russelli, Achelousaurus and Anchiceratops to the series.  The C. russelli could use the same parts as the BotM Chasmosaurus belli minus the skull.  The Achelousaurus could share parts with other ceratopsians.  I find the suggestion that Anchiceratops led a semiaquatic lifestyle convincing, so I think a BotM Anchiceratops would benefit from a body based on NMC 8547, which it could share with Arrhinoceratops which I also think was semiaquatic.

3. As for additions to the BotM Tyrannosaur Series, I would really like it if David made a Daspletosaurus horneri, I think all it would need is a modified head and new colour scheme, the rest it could share with the BotM Daspletosaurus torosus.  Another species I think could share all except the head and colour scheme with D. torosus is the unnamed Dinosaur Park Formation Daspletosaurus species.  I would love to have a figure of it too!
Other species I'd like to have from BotM are Xiongguanlong and Alioramus altai.  They could share all parts except the skull with the BotM Alectrosaurus/Qianzhousaurus, and both genera are currently unrepresented except by poor CollectA figures.

4. My last hope from BotM is another addition to the Tyrannosaur Series, but I decided to give it it's own section.  I'd like a 1:18 Dilong with a new colour scheme.  Since David has made 1:18 versions of some previously 1:6 dromaeosaurids and ceratopsians I'm hopeful he'll make Dilong in this scale too.  I'd like it to have a new colour scheme because, respectfully, its current colouration to me doesn't seem to make sense for a predator and blue might not have been possible as a colour on Dilong's filamentous feathers.

Edit 12 October 2022: Due to the number of related lines, this thread is now for what we'd like from Creative Beast.

stargatedalek

Mammals (bluebuck, nilgai) are able to simulate blue by layering colours of fur together, so it should be possible for other simpler filaments.

Sim

Hmm, I've looked them up and their fur seems to be grey, not blue...  Even if their fur is considered blue, it's nothing like the bright blue of the BotM Dilong which still seems off-limits for simple filaments.

Faelrin

I'd like to see a 1:18 Deinonychus and 1:18 Dilong, but also a 1:18 Zhenyuanlong as well.

Hadrosaurids and other large ornithopods are also a must have for me, at the very least Parasaurolophus, my beloved. But Corythosaurus, Edmontosaurus (both species), Iguanodon, Lambeosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Saurolophus, and many others would be nice as well.

Just some others I'd like to see down the road: Amargasaurus, Ankylosaurus, Anzu, Baryonyx, Borealopelta, Citipati, Deinocheirus, Spinosaurus, Suchomimus, Stegoceras, Stegouros, and Yinlong.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on April 20, 2022, 06:08:20 PM
I'd like to see a 1:18 Deinonychus and 1:18 Dilong, but also a 1:18 Zhenyuanlong as well.

I've messaged David to see if he's interested in doing proper updated proportions for a potential 1:18 Zhenyuanlong, this was his response:

"Oh wow, very cool! I'll be sure to keep this in mind for future releases."

So fingers crossed when he does get to doing one, the proportions will reflect what we see in the fossil record for that genus.

Sim

I would be interested in a 1:18 Zhenyuanlong with accurate proportions.  It could share parts with Tianyuraptor if Deinonychus doesn't as their proportions are nearly identical.  The only parts that seem different in Tianyuraptor compared to Zhenyuanlong are the head (the lower jaw could be shared though), the sickle claw (Tianyuraptor should have the largest sickle claw size like some of the other dromaeosaurids in the raptor series) and the tail feathering (Tianyuraptor's doesn't seem as extensive as Zhenyuanlong's).  The forelimb feathering is not known for Tianyuraptor so it could have different wings to Zhenyuanlong.  Below is a photo of the 2.5m adult Tianyuraptor specimen:

Saurornitholestes would also benefit from being updated when shrunk down to 1:18 scale.  The new, nearly complete specimen of it confirmed it should have smaller head parts than BotM's and it showed Saurornitholestes should have a vertical pubis like the BotM Dromaeosaurus and Zhenyuanlong.  Scott Hartman's new Saurornitholestes langstoni skeletal shows this:

Ostafrikasaurus

1. A sauropod line. I understand that, due to size constraints, they'd have to be of a different scale than their predecessors. Particularly, I would like to see Saltasaurus, Brontosaurus, Camarasaurus, Nigersaurus, and Diplodocus (perhaps a juvenile to cut down on the length).

2. A spinosaurid line. It would be a smaller series than others due to the smaller pool of species to choose from, but I can imagine some fascinating color work for them. I think it would be neat to see one of them painted with blotchy greens, greys, and blacks, similar to a modern alligator.

3. A prehistoric mammal line. It could be elephantine ancestors, rhinoceros ancestors (such as brontotheres), or prehistoric felines (cave lions, Smilodons, etc.). There would be many species to choose from in this area. Regarding elephants/mammoths, it would be interesting to see how David articulates the trunks. I think that would be the most challenging part of a pachyderm figure.

4. A "vintage" line of the "classic" dinosaur species (why, yes, I do have to insert retrosaurs into every conversation, how could you tell?  :)) ). I've dreamed of a line of highly-detailed, highly-articulated, Charles Knight-esque tail-draggers for a long time. Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Monoclonius, Stegosaurus, Pteranodon, Trachodon, Parasaurolophus, Generic Sauropod #5, etc. (see picture below). This line would be a lot of fun to watch take shape.
"Live fast, eat grass, die in a blast." - Late Cretaceous herbivore

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Psittacoraptor

I'm trying to think of wishes that would be financially viable (=would sell enough) due to being (relatively) well-known species. No pipe dreams, basically.

1:6

Archaeopteryx
Guanlong
Saurornithoides
Leptoceratops

1:18

Borealopelta
Parasaurolophus
Iguanodon

I think these three are too iconic/popular to be skipped.

Ornithomimosaurs would be neat, too. E.g. Beishanlong or Gallimimus.

Sauropods would be interesting, but I think the necks would be hard to articulate without it looking ugly.

And finally ... a totally realistic wish: 1:1 Anurognathus. :))

Lynx

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on April 21, 2022, 05:40:59 PM
I'm trying to think of wishes that would be financially viable (=would sell enough) due to being (relatively) well-known species. No pipe dreams, basically.

1:6

Archaeopteryx
Guanlong
Saurornithoides
Leptoceratops

1:18

Borealopelta
Parasaurolophus
Iguanodon

I think these three are too iconic/popular to be skipped.

Ornithomimosaurs would be neat, too. E.g. Beishanlong or Gallimimus.

Sauropods would be interesting, but I think the necks would be hard to articulate without it looking ugly.

And finally ... a totally realistic wish: 1:1 Anurognathus. :))

A wire neck would work well, I think. Might look odd in certain positions but yeah.
An oversized house cat.

Dusty Wren

Wire wears out and breaks over time, though. And the wire would need to be encased in a soft rubbery material to flesh out the neck, and those types of materials can crack. Just looks at the problems people are having with the REBOR titanoboa.

I'm not sure how to solve the sauropod articulation problem, honestly. My guess is if we see one from BotM, it will have a bunch of plastic joints. I'm sure David will engineer them as best he can, but I don't know how he's going to thread the needle of decent articulation and good aesthetics. 
Check out my customs thread!

Ostafrikasaurus

Quote from: Dusty Wren on April 21, 2022, 10:04:54 PM
Wire wears out and breaks over time, though. And the wire would need to be encased in a soft rubbery material to flesh out the neck, and those types of materials can crack. Just looks at the problems people are having with the REBOR titanoboa.

I'm not sure how to solve the sauropod articulation problem, honestly. My guess is if we see one from BotM, it will have a bunch of plastic joints. I'm sure David will engineer them as best he can, but I don't know how he's going to thread the needle of decent articulation and good aesthetics.

That's what I was thinking. A "bendable"-esque wire neck (or tail) would look more aesthetically-pleasing than one comprised of multiple segmented joints, but, as you stated, it would become brittle and wear out over time. Personally, I wouldn't mind a segmented neck, provided it doesn't detract too much from the rest of the figure; however, I know this is not the case for everyone else. Still, if anyone can find a work-around to this design issue, it's David. There are times when I forget the Beasts series are figurines and not sculptures. They're just that good.

DragonRider02

I imagine the neck articulation on the sauropods looking similar to articulation on SHMA King Ghidorah figure.

Ostafrikasaurus

Quote from: DragonRider02 on April 21, 2022, 10:38:10 PM
I imagine the neck articulation on the sauropods looking similar to articulation on SHMA King Ghidorah figure.

I actually have a Ghidorah figure similar to this one, and it is exactly what I was imagining when I said "segmented joints". Unfortunately, the ball joints on one of the heads keeps popping off, I suspect because the molding was too shallow on that particular joint. I would assume the ball joints that would be employed on a sauropod BOTM line would be somewhat more robust than the ones Monster Arts uses, which are sometimes hit or miss depending on the figure.

Sim

I forgot to mention that I'd be interested in a Saurornitholestes with the corrections I mentioned in my previous post.  Also, I'd like a BotM Baryonyx, Suchomimus and Borealopelta!  Additionally I'd also like the following species from Beasts of the Mesozoic: Herrerasaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, Zalmoxes, Eoraptor, Lufengosaurus, Riojasaurus, Plateosaurus, Rhamphorhynchus, Scaphognathus, Dorygnathus, Saurosuchus and Postosuchus.

KrazyKaprosuchus

Quote from: Sim on April 23, 2022, 03:56:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I'd be interested in a Saurornitholestes with the corrections I mentioned in my previous post.  Also, I'd like a BotM Baryonyx, Suchomimus and Borealopelta!  Additionally I'd also like the following species from Beasts of the Mesozoic: Herrerasaurus, Tuojiangosaurus, Zalmoxes, Eoraptor, Lufengosaurus, Riojasaurus, Plateosaurus, Rhamphorhynchus, Scaphognathus, Dorygnathus, Saurosuchus and Postosuchus.
A Postosuchus from David would be a dream come true, along with Plateosaurus, Herrarasaurus, Saurosuchus and Eoraptor. All would be instant buys from me. I may have a thing with Triassic Classics...  O:-)

Sim

Some other thoughts I have:

1. Since BotM species are scaled roughly to a particular size resulting in species not always being their maximum size in order for part sharing to work, I think that could be a reason to make a new, corrected Zhenyuanlong share parts with a Tianyuraptor AND Deinonychus.  The Zheyuanlong holotype is smaller than the adult Tianyuraptor specimen, but Zhen represents a subadult so it could possibly have reached the same size as Tianyuraptor.  These three dromaeosaurids could share parts with the larger troodontids I mentioned in my previous post too, creating a lovely new raptor series!

2. Regarding species I'd like from BotM that I listed in my previous post, I think a Borealopelta could share parts with the planned Sauropelta and Edmontonia.  A Tuojiangosaurus could share some parts with the planned Stegosaurus.  A Zalmoxes could share parts with the BotM Psittacosaurus.  A Plateosaurus, Lufengosaurus and Riojasaurus could share parts with each other and finally give us good bipedal sauropodomorph toys!  Rhamphorhynchus, Dorygnathus and Scaphognathus could share parts with each other and finally give us good rhamphorhynchid toys!  And Postosuchus and Saurosuchus could share some parts with each other.

3. I'm intrigued by the possibility of additional BotM Psittacosaurus species.  They could share parts with the BotM Psittacosaurus mongoliensis.  Does anyone know if David has considered making more Psittacosaurus species in 1:18 scale?

Ostafrikasaurus

Quote from: Sim on April 23, 2022, 07:19:17 PM

1. Since BotM species are scaled roughly to a particular size resulting in species not always being their maximum size in order for part sharing to work, I think that could be a reason to make a new, corrected Zhenyuanlong share parts with a Tianyuraptor AND Deinonychus.  The Zheyuanlong holotype is smaller than the adult Tianyuraptor specimen, but Zhen represents a subadult so it could possibly have reached the same size as Tianyuraptor.  These three dromaeosaurids could share parts with the larger troodontids I mentioned in my previous post too, creating a lovely new raptor series!

2. Regarding species I'd like from BotM that I listed in my previous post, I think a Borealopelta could share parts with the planned Sauropelta and Edmontonia.  A Tuojiangosaurus could share some parts with the planned Stegosaurus.  A Zalmoxes could share parts with the BotM Psittacosaurus.  A Plateosaurus, Lufengosaurus and Riojasaurus could share parts with each other and finally give us good bipedal sauropodomorph toys!  Rhamphorhynchus, Dorygnathus and Scaphognathus could share parts with each other and finally give us good rhamphorhynchid toys!  And Postosuchus and Saurosuchus could share some parts with each other.

3. I'm intrigued by the possibility of additional BotM Psittacosaurus species.  They could share parts with the BotM Psittacosaurus mongoliensis.  Does anyone know if David has considered making more Psittacosaurus species in 1:18 scale?

I had to look up Borealopelta, as I have somehow never heard of it before. Neat little ankylosaurid, I say. I also concur on the Postosuchus and Saurosuchus. A few crocodilian-esque figures would be a welcome addition to the BOTM line. Their paint schemes could follow that of living crocodiles, alligators, and caimans.

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on April 23, 2022, 07:19:17 PM

Really hope David will go back and fix the Zhenyuanlong's proportions for a 1/18 release rather than reuse existing parts. And with a smaller scale, I would assume the potential for entirely new species rises as the cost of production would be lower compared to full sized 1/6 ones. So bring on the small raptors!

I've brought it up to David before. He has said that it would not be impossible, and he's open to the idea. Same goes for sharing the Protoceratops and Psittacosaurus parts for other entirely different genus of basal ceratopsians.

Sim

That all sounds great avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy! :)  I would be interested in a BotM Psittacosaurus sibiricus and Psittacosaurus gobiensis.  I wonder what colourations David would use for them, since he used Psittacosaurus sp.'s for the BotM Psittacosaurus mongoliensis?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: