News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TooOldForDinosaurs' Repaints

Started by TooOldForDinosaurs, July 18, 2022, 04:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baryonyx

Hi!
I'm really enjoying your thread, your sculpting is looking great. It is a slow and involved process for sure!
 I've made an ouranosaurus too which you can see here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9785.0 it isn't finished.

Yours has a good neck! Good luck, thanks for all thr updates. Customs and repaints are definitely the most interesting things to read about on here,for me at least! :))

TooOldForDinosaurs

Second leg done. These legs take a lot longer than the Trikes ones.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Baryonyx on October 13, 2022, 12:10:34 PMHi!
I'm really enjoying your thread, your sculpting is looking great. It is a slow and involved process for sure!
 I've made an ouranosaurus too which you can see here: https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9785.0 it isn't finished.

Yours has a good neck! Good luck, thanks for all thr updates. Customs and repaints are definitely the most interesting things to read about on here,for me at least! :))

Thank you! Wow, excellent sculpt so far! Thanks for linking this here  :)  I've got those same skeletal reconstructions laying around as well hehe. What type of clay did you use for yours?

Bokisaurus

Very nice, impressive!😃 you are so way ahead and will only get better at it!
Excited to see this one finished.
I tried to sculpt one but didn't turn out as one of my best 🤣... so I'm hoping PNSO will make one soon.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: Bokisaurus on October 13, 2022, 05:04:14 PMVery nice, impressive!😃 you are so way ahead and will only get better at it!
Excited to see this one finished.
I tried to sculpt one but didn't turn out as one of my best 🤣... so I'm hoping PNSO will make one soon.

Thanks a lot for the praise  ;D . I am too, maybe I'll get it done today but I'm not sure. It's about time they or someone do/ does.

Third leg is going into the oven. This one really gave me some difficulties. Had to rework it a couple times but now I'm finally satisfied. Will post pictures soon.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Here are the pics:

I'll end up beefing out the neck today and filling a little hole in one foot. The fourth leg has to wait. With the time I spent on each other one it doesn't make sense to start with this last one now.

TooOldForDinosaurs

Last pic for today. I like the beefy neck look. Comparison shot to Battats version :)

ceratopsian

I hadn't realised it was that big.

Leyster

Wow, amazing work! Just a little nitpick: hands shouldn't be facing forward, that's akin to the "Jurassic Park" raptor pose. Dinosaur hands were incapable of that position (except for sauropords, but they realized it twisting their humerus, not rotating their wrist). Compare up and lower:

Probably it's a bit too late to change things, but maybe it might be helpful for future works! ^-^
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

TooOldForDinosaurs

avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Yeah, it's got some size to it. :)

L @Leyster Thank you. For both the compliment and the nit pick  ;) That is actually very helpful. Maybe I could bend it a little if I heated it up again but I'm probably safer to just leave it this time. The forelimbs and hands also turned out a little bit too muscular and hefty. I wanted them to be a bit beefier than PNSOs ones just because I like the look (and it has to stand) but not this much. I will try  to keep it leaner next time, but its really hard working with so little material. I already had my challenge with these limbs. Have to keep practicing  :)

TooOldForDinosaurs

Finally! I can update this thread again. With some turbulences through the last couple of days (messing up big time with the last leg and having to remove the entire leg after it being already baked  :-X ) I can now present the completed sculpt:

With my previous sculpt:

With some relatives:

And it has found its spot on my desk:

There will be a video again, hopefully soon.  :)

SidB

I'm really liking your sturdy fellow! He (sorry for the gender specific) would make an interested predator think twice about interfering with him. No heroin chique, malnourished look here. Well done. I'm curious as to how you will paint the figure, though?

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: SidB on October 17, 2022, 12:46:37 PMI'm really liking your sturdy fellow! He (sorry for the gender specific) would make an interested predator think twice about interfering with him. No heroin chique, malnourished look here. Well done. I'm curious as to how you will paint the figure, though?
Thanks  :)) I don't know about that yet. I'm open to any suggestions if you have an idea or a certain depiction in mind that you like :)

SidB

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on October 17, 2022, 12:55:34 PM
Quote from: SidB on October 17, 2022, 12:46:37 PMI'm really liking your sturdy fellow! He (sorry for the gender specific) would make an interested predator think twice about interfering with him. No heroin chique, malnourished look here. Well done. I'm curious as to how you will paint the figure, though?
I guess that the first wre
Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on October 17, 2022, 12:55:34 PM
Thanks  :)) I don't know about that yet. I'm open to any suggestions if you have an idea or a certain depiction in mind that you like :)
I guess that the first question that I'd ask would be, do you like bright, dynamic colors as on the Battat Ouranosaurus, or more subtle, naturalistic ones as per the PNSO hadrosaurs?

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on October 17, 2022, 12:16:32 PMFinally! I can update this thread again. With some turbulences through the last couple of days (messing up big time with the last leg and having to remove the entire leg after it being already baked  :-X ) I can now present the completed sculpt:

There will be a video again, hopefully soon.  :)

I love it! Actually, after i finished the Edmontosaurus, i wanted to do an Ouranosaurus, because there isn't any good Figure for me to get. Seems like you had the same idea :D Really nice work! I hope to see it coloured up someday 0:

TooOldForDinosaurs

S @SidB I guess a bit of both. Battats style of paint application and color choice is definitely a bit too bold for my taste but I do love some bright and dynamic colors in the right places. The neck and/ or especially his sail would make a great flashy billboard. ;D

avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs Exactly my thought process hehe. I appreciate the compliments! I plan on doing that somewhere in the future. I still have other stuff to finish and paint up as well like that Maiasaura diorama base which has been standing around naked for a good while now.

Here's the video:

BlueKrono

Nice Ouranosaurus! Will you be making casts of it?
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

TooOldForDinosaurs

Quote from: BlueKrono on October 17, 2022, 03:34:56 PMNice Ouranosaurus! Will you be making casts of it?
Thank you! I thought about that a lot actually. And I would love to do that - only thing is I don't really know how to... Again, Kayakasaurus' YouTube is probably the best place to get a tutorial for this and I've watched his mold making videos several times already but it still seems quite complex and I'm not sure if I'm up for it. I've also researched if theres any place near me where I could maybe get a silicone mold professionally done for not too big of a price but couldn't find anything. I won't give up on this thought yet which is also why I'm holding back painting any of the original sculpts. If I ever get to making casts of it and it works I would let you know and I could surely ship one out to you if you'd like.  :) Right now there are many "if"s but I'll be working towards this and hope I can update on this.

BlueKrono

Quote from: TooOldForDinosaurs on October 17, 2022, 03:59:09 PM
Quote from: BlueKrono on October 17, 2022, 03:34:56 PMNice Ouranosaurus! Will you be making casts of it?
Thank you! I thought about that a lot actually. And I would love to do that - only thing is I don't really know how to... Again, Kayakasaurus' YouTube is probably the best place to get a tutorial for this and I've watched his mold making videos several times already but it still seems quite complex and I'm not sure if I'm up for it. I've also researched if theres any place near me where I could maybe get a silicone mold professionally done for not too big of a price but couldn't find anything. I won't give up on this thought yet which is also why I'm holding back painting any of the original sculpts. If I ever get to making casts of it and it works I would let you know and I could surely ship one out to you if you'd like.  :) Right now there are many "if"s but I'll be working towards this and hope I can update on this.
That would be really cool! I would for sure buy one. Love the stocky look of this one.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

TooOldForDinosaurs

Planning on doing a Megatherium figure in the (hopefully near?) future. This is also a genus, which I have been waiting for a company to produce an awesome figure of for a long time. Not the biggest fan of Safaris offer. It's just not doing it for me so why not give it a shot myself.

I would really appreciate any good skeletal references I could use for sculpting because I couldn't really find anything great on the internet. :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: