News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Mattel - New for 2023

Started by Faelrin, August 27, 2022, 10:49:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

Never though they will use bendy wire for the neck, I though they will give it a segmented neck.

It does look nice, but I'm perfectly fine with my Legacy one, plus this would be too expensive to get...

Gwangi

I think the Legacy Brachiosaurus looks better than this one. The proportions look off, like the head/neck is smaller than it should be and the forelimbs too robust. Nothing surprising from Mattel and nothing that would normally bother me too much but I certainly don't feel compelled to replace the mainline version with it. I also thought the neck would have segments and I don't trust the idea of a bendy wire. Well...I guess that's a relief, more money saved.

I suppose it's a bittersweet relief also if the HC T. rex really is just a re-release. I want an HC bull but I'm also wanting the 93 classic red T. rex. I don't feel like spending $100+ on Mattel T. rex figures in one year. This news makes me feel better about buying the red rex, if I so choose. 

Carnoking

Not bad but not great enough to have me clamoring to snatch one up.
It does give me exactly what I've been begging for with these big sauropods from Mattel (bendable necks, more articulation in the legs) and is basically exactly what I wanted when I talked about the limitations of the original legacy brach. You can make this one strike that iconic rearing pose! But I agree that something looks... off about it.
I'll definitely be grabbing one if there's a sale, and I suppose I could part with the in-box brachs I have to make room for this.

Flaffy

Sticking with my Legacy Brachiosaurus. Better proporitons, better screen accuracy.
I'm not sure how well a bendy neck will last tbh, seems like a recipe for disaster in terms of longevity.

Faelrin

I'll need to see in hand pics before I can judge it properly. The promo pic one looks a bit too much like the FK design, as far as head shape, and even the teal coloration on the head. Proportions also look off, such as the length of the limbs, but it could be the angle too. Like the limbs look better proportioned on the box one, in that the shoulders appear higher then the hips. The one on the box looks more like the JP one's coloration as well, but it could be due to lighting.

This one does have some positives over the original, such as the ability to get it into the rearing pose thanks to the additional articulation in the tail (impossible on the finished assembled 2019 one), and limbs. The rubber bendy wire neck may or may not be an issue long term. Something to be wary about. Yet I wanted a real feel sauropod for a long time and this achieves this in a way, compared to the hollow plastic they all have been so far. Time will tell I guess.

Ultimately I don't need this one. It has to be a really strong want, since I do still love my original 2019 one. It's why I dragged it with me despite my sitiuation. Plus I got it shortly after my cat Stinky had to be euthanized because he had cancer. Space is also a major concern, especially if it is one time assembly like the rest of the figures. Price too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would echo others concerns, accuracy/design issues bendy neck/ possible issues . 

I did hear others are excited over a rearing pose, I just don't see it holding that pose on it's own?

So yeah..maybe I'd get it on sale?

stargatedalek

I might get it if I see them locally, I'd be modifying it to be more accurate if I did anyway so the head being more in line with the real animal is not exactly an issue for me. Hopefully the neck being bendy means it can be posed in a more neutral comfortable shape.

andrewsaurus rex

is the size of this new Brachio known?  If it's notably larger than the legacy, that my get me interested but otherwise probably not.  While it doesn't have the annoying shoulder hump of the first one there are other things about it I don't like.  The body is leaner, which is good but the legs look even heavier than the first one.  The problem with a bendy neck is the type of rubbery plastic that needs to be used usually cracks over time, even if you don't bend the neck very much.

I thought there was also going to be a Mamenchisaurus  this year?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: andrewsaurus rex on May 19, 2023, 04:55:37 AMis the size of this new Brachio known?  If it's notably larger than the legacy, that my get me interested but otherwise probably not.  While it doesn't have the annoying shoulder hump of the first one there are other things about it I don't like.  The body is leaner, which is good but the legs look even heavier than the first one.  The problem with a bendy neck is the type of rubbery plastic that needs to be used usually cracks over time, even if you don't bend the neck very much.

I thought there was also going to be a Mamenchisaurus  this year?

I assume the Mamenchi is still coming. We have another Legacy release in July. 
https://www.target.com/c/jurassic-world/-/N-4ybhy

Gwangi

Another concern about the bendy neck. Once bent into various positions how easy will it be to put it back into a neutral pose without a bunch of little bends and kinks in it?  ???

Halichoeres

Bendy neck, huh? There have been advances in plastic manufacturing since the Carnegie Tanystropheus, but still strikes me as living dangerously!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

I am excited, but I have serious concerns about the stability of the is...I mean the neck.

MLMjp

I just realized, if they are using bendy for something as big as the Brachiosaurus neck... if they make a HC Queztzalcoaltlus in a more true to film scale...they will definitely give it bendy wings and neck...::)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Bista in hand.  The lack of color on the feet is a bit weird, way too much light color in one area.  I do think it's odd the tail colors don't meet the head and neck colors.  I might paint the nails eventually.

The tail quills really don't do much. I was imagining a Venus fly trap sorts of thing to impale or capture figures.  It almost seems more natural? They sort of wave like a warning display?

Flaffy

I didn't pick up the Sinotyrannus, but on the contrary I am quite tempted by the Bistahieversor. Not sure why, it's hard to explain.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Flaffy on May 21, 2023, 04:55:28 AMI didn't pick up the Sinotyrannus, but on the contrary I am quite tempted by the Bistahieversor. Not sure why, it's hard to explain.

I didn't think I'd like the Sino myself til I spent a little time with it, the colors are subdued but I liked them..not bad for a jungle predator.  No need to explain, Youtube is full of folks explaining why they like or don't like something better to just enjoy it. :)

Gwangi

I think the sculpt of the Bistahieversor is quite excellent by Mattel standards. Possibly their best non-Tyrannosaurus tyrannosaur. You just have to look past the silly quills which when not being used as an action feature don't make for a terrible display structure. I really like the unconventional paintjob but I do wish there was color on the legs. I liked the recent Gigantic Tracker Stegosaurus too for its weird paintjob but I didn't get it.

I've wavered back-and-forth on the Sinotyrannus. Now it is on sale online for about $11 and I still don't feel compelled to get it. So I guess I really don't need it after all. Looks too much like a T. rex with a crest tacked on. I like the paintjob on that one though. Shelf space is limited and there are too many cool things in the Hammond collection.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: