News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

A very generous review box from CollectA arrived :) I'm always grateful that CollectA hasn't forgotten those of us that are not YouTubers! ^-^ speaks of how much they appreciate all of their fans.
As for the figures, WOW, I will say this years group are fabulous and exciting. I absolutely love the larger models and the amphibian of course. I will post individual photos in my Collection thread, but here they are:
[/url]
[/url][/img]

Sim

Quote from: Thialfi on January 20, 2023, 08:12:17 PMI don't see them make these rather 'basic' ones anytime soon though, they seem to prefer the ones with impressive crests - with good reason. That's where CollectA comes in.
Oh, I think you're right about that.  I don't see Safari making them either.  But CollectA has made so many now and they barely differ, I would like to see them make groups they've been neglecting.  That and I don't like or need most of these ornithopods.

Thialfi

Oh yes, I can definitely see how you have a preference for other unseen and/or unloved groups!

Sim

Thanks for the photo of the Mosasaurus, Bokisaurus!  I will check out a review of it, but right now I think I'm not going to get it.  CollectA likes giving their figures nicks and I find its become overdone now.  Worse than that though is all the lines CollectA keep giving their marine animals.  It doesn't look realistic to me.

Primeval12

So how much is this Stegurous going to set me back? Either way....

bmathison1972

Since I started adding dinos to my collection, I wanted a Mosasaurus, but have been hesitant to get one until now. Because the figures are often large and therefore expensive and take up space, I didn't want to invest in one until I was sure I really wanted it. Plus it belongs to a group of animals I don't have much knowledge about so it was hard for me to assess accuracy. Anyway, I am glad I waited, as this 2023 CollectA version is currently on its way to me :). Although, had it not been released, I probably would have gone for the earlier CollectA version...

I actually got really liberal this year with CollectA and already ordered the Shastasaurus, Brighstoneus, Hadrosaurus, and Ruyangosaurus, too! And I plan on the Koolasuchus and (obviously) Anomalocaris, too!

dragon53

Sim

I've kept coming back to the Mosasaurus, I'm very much looking forward to a review of that one, to help me decide whether to get it.  Everything Dinosaur made a video which contains many photos of the Mosasaurus from different angles:

SenSx

Quote from: Sim on January 22, 2023, 03:39:01 PMI've kept coming back to the Mosasaurus, I'm very much looking forward to a review of that one, to help me decide whether to get it.  Everything Dinosaur made a video which contains many photos of the Mosasaurus from different angles:

Same here I'm really looking forward that Mosasaurus.
I own the PNSO one that is the only with a decent size, and I know it's a quality figure, but I just don't like its head for some reason.
The new Collecta looks more simple from a detail, pose and paint application perspective, however I probably like its design more.
I need some reviews first.

suspsy

I'm going to be posting a brief review of the Mosasaurus in various Facebook groups in a few weeks (working my way through other new toys first), but right now I will say that it is hands down my favourite 2023 CollectA toy. It's magnificently massive. It looks good with its mouth closed or open, and it can grip small prey items like the ammonites from the CollectA marine tube fairly well. It's also got a nice scale pattern in contrast to earlier marine reptile toys that have smooth skin. I absolutely recommend it to everyone.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

kuma29

I received the Mosasaurus from minizoo yesterday.
At first, I was impressed with the quality, but when I looked closely inside the mouth, there were no pterygoid teeth, and instead they were represented by thin skin-colored lines. I understand that for many people this molding doesn't spoil the whole thing, but it wasn't what I expected and I was very disappointed :'(  :'(

suspsy

Quote from: kuma29 on January 23, 2023, 03:34:28 AMI received the Mosasaurus from minizoo yesterday.
At first, I was impressed with the quality, but when I looked closely inside the mouth, there were no pterygoid teeth, and instead they were represented by thin skin-colored lines. I understand that for many people this molding doesn't spoil the whole thing, but it wasn't what I expected and I was very disappointed :'(  :'(

Mine has painted pterygoid teeth. Perhaps you had the rotten luck of receiving a defective one?

kuma29

Quote from: suspsy on January 23, 2023, 03:48:30 AM
Quote from: kuma29 on January 23, 2023, 03:34:28 AMI received the Mosasaurus from minizoo yesterday.

Mine has painted pterygoid teeth. Perhaps you had the rotten luck of receiving a defective one?

It's probably not a defective product.
It looks the same in the everything dinosaur video above (I'm not currently in an environment where I can upload images).
I was expecting a sculpture and paint with some pterygoid tips protruding from the soft tissue inside the mouth (like PNSO's or Safari ltd's Tylosaurus), but that In contrast, CollectA's Mosasaurus pterygoids are drawn with two simple lines.
I didn't mean the lack of paint. Sorry for the confusion.

kuma29

I uploaded an image.
CollectA has done a lot of artisanal and meticulous work in the past. I was a big fan of it.
Mosasaurus is one of my favorite marine reptiles, so I had high hopes for this deluxe edition, which looked perfectly proportioned and painted. However, I never thought that pterygoid teeth would be omitted in this way.

suspsy

Yup, yours is indeed defective. The pterygoid rows on mine have tiny notches carved into them. That's a pity. :(

kuma29

I'll ask minizoo.
Thank you for the information. Looking forward to your review: suspsy.

Prehistory Resurrection

dinofelid

The Mosasaurus looks great overall, but the teeth look kind of stubby and rounded to me--the mosasaur genus Globidens had teeth kind of like that, but the photos of skulls of Mosasaurus itself on this page seem to show teeth that are more long and blade-like, is there some justification for the CollectA proportions, like all but the ends of the teeth being covered by gums, or an individual Mosasaurus species with smaller teeth?

Sim

Thanks for sharing that video avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection, that's just what I needed.  It appears CollectA wanted to make the ultimate Mosasaurus figure and they suceeded!  I'm now planning to get the 2023 CollectA Mosasaurus.  As for its teeth, they look okay to me because most of the teeth are covered by gums and lips.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Thialfi on January 20, 2023, 08:12:17 PMI don't see them make these rather 'basic' ones anytime soon though, they seem to prefer the ones with impressive crests - with good reason. That's where CollectA comes in.

Yeah, PNSO has only made one non-hadrosaurid ornithopod, and CollectA has pretty much only done hadrosaurs and iguanodontids in the last decade or so. Neither company has done thescelosaurids, hypsilophodontids, dryosaurids, etc., so those are still pretty big gaps.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: