News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2023

Started by suspsy, November 04, 2022, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Don't feel bad. It was only described in 2021 and known from pretty scrappy material (parts of the skull). I think it did make the news alongside Riparovenator, which was also pretty fragmentary, though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 16, 2023, 09:51:53 PMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon Don't feel bad. It was only described in 2021 and known from pretty scrappy material (parts of the skull). I think it did make the news alongside Riparovenator, which was also pretty fragmentary, though.

That's another one I've never heard of.. lol   ;D

I used to think I was on the cutting edge as a kid, my friends knew about T-Rex but had they heard of Deinonychus!? heh as a famous paleontologist once said, " The rules change so radically and we are all struggling to catch up.. "

suspsy

The Koolasuchus is marvellously massive! Here is it confronting the old Safari T. rex.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Its mouth is so vast, it can chomp down on any number of toys. Lots of lovely detail on the inside, but you'll just have to buy it yourself.

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Hold up, is it available already in some places, or was this a review sample they sent you?

Edit: avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon It is honestly kind of overwhelming how many discoveries are frequently made (and described) these days. It really is hard to keep up with it sometime. I tend to use wikipedia's category features (on the bottom of the desktop version of the pages) such as on Theropoda, etc, or sometimes the year in paleontology sections to catch up on some stuff I might have missed. The folks over there tend to do a good job with keeping things up to date as new info and genera and species get described.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

suspsy

It's another review sample. I'm eventually going to post my thoughts on it in a bunch of Facebook groups, but I have others to tackle first. 

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Faelrin on January 17, 2023, 10:15:11 PMavatar_suspsy @suspsy Hold up, is it available already in some places, or was this a review sample they sent you?

Edit: avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon It is honestly kind of overwhelming how many discoveries are frequently made (and described) these days. It really is hard to keep up with it sometime. I tend to use wikipedia's category features (on the bottom of the desktop version of the pages) such as on Theropoda, etc, or sometimes the year in paleontology sections to catch up on some stuff I might have missed. The folks over there tend to do a good job with keeping things up to date as new info and genera and species get described.

The Koolasuchas looks good, not saying I wouldn't mind one closer to 16" long lol but pretty good.

Exactly, I just feel like I haven't nearly the time I used to, I do most of my internet searching at night while trying to watch things while trying to plan and build some things lol During the day I help watch a baby cousin and handle park business. I need more days off..rain and cold are good for that lol

suspsy

And here's one more comparison shot for everyone.

The Stegouros is the biggest ankylosaur CollectA's ever done, period. It's even bigger than the Deluxe Ankylosaurus. It's also way bigger than any ankylosaur from Mojo, Papo, PNSO, Safari, or Schleich. I know some people have expressed dislike for its size, but I love it. It showcases all the anatomy and sculpting detail beautifully and it looks cool looming over all the other thyreothorans on the shelf!

bmathison1972

The Koolasuchus is big but acceptable; the Stegouros is way too big for me to consider.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Might pass for a 1:1 baby version?  ^-^

ceratopsian

I always find "stacked" photos like that extremely helpful, thanks avatar_suspsy @suspsy.  It's huge, that's for sure - but very handsome.  So I'm an eager punter on this occasion.  As I don't collect by scale or worry about displaying by scale, it's not a problem for me but a pleasure to celebrate.

Lynx

Are these newer CollectA figures durable? Like, can they suffer being knocked into by another figure or falling off a shelf without paint scuffs or damage? CollectA has my eye but I've made the mistake of buying models that scuff easily, which is a big issue considering my shelves are on a slanted angle.
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

I don't think you'll ever find a PVC dinosaur figure that can take a fall off a shelf onto a bare floor without ever suffering a scratch or a scuff. But the Stegouros doesn't feel like it would actually break from a fall—-unless it was falling onto pavement from a second story floor or higher.

Lynx

The carnegie and Papo figures usually can survive lower shelves without too bad of a scuff, which is what I am looking for in a figure. The Stegouros will probably be a fine figure then!
An oversized house cat.

Prehistory Resurrection

Halichoeres

The Stegouros is definitely larger than I'd prefer, but that's not enough to stop me from getting an otherwise good figure.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I stopped watching the review after a few seconds as I find that Brighstoneus very bland.  In my opinion CollectA needs to take a break with the ornithopods as they've made so many that barely differ recently and they have become very tiresome, like it was with CollectA and allosauroids (which unlike their ornithopods didn't come out well) and Safari and their ceratopsids.  The only 2023 CollectA model I'm interested in is the Mosasaurus and I'm eager to see a review of that one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I know some of them are small, but they need to find a way to make the eyes more lifelike. I wish someone would do the old Tyco eyes in a line again.

Thialfi

Quote from: Sim on January 20, 2023, 06:46:01 PMI stopped watching the review after a few seconds as I find that Brighstoneus very bland.  In my opinion CollectA needs to take a break with the ornithopods as they've made so many that barely differ recently and they have become very tiresome, like it was with CollectA and allosauroids (which unlike their ornithopods didn't come out well) and Safari and their ceratopsids.  The only 2023 CollectA model I'm interested in is the Mosasaurus and I'm eager to see a review of that one.

Hmm, I like that they add a not-so-spectacular ornithopod to the mix every year. They're cheap, seldom made species and I think they look pretty good. There is not much spectacle to be had from these animals, but they're definitely worth adding to the herd. I don't see any other company, besides Safari, ever making them.

Sim

PNSO has made lots of ornithopods, they might make more too.

Thialfi

I don't see them make these rather 'basic' ones anytime soon though, they seem to prefer the ones with impressive crests - with good reason. That's where CollectA comes in.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: