News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Potential Other Prehistoric Animals for Mojo Fun

Started by Trexroarr, December 04, 2012, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trexroarr

Now I know Mojo hasn't asked us to choose anything other than Dinosaurs and Prehistoric Mammals, but I feel like we should list other Prehistoric Species for them in this thread JUST in case they decide to surprise us with something else for 2014. :P

So for this thread, I suggest we each put up to 3 different Prehistoric Species that are NOT mammals or dinosaurs. Anything else, is fair game.

Phorusrhacos longissimus (We definitely need the most famous of the Terror Birds made in to a figure, right?)
Carcharodon megalodon (Mojo's 2012 Great White Shark is actually fantastic, so this is a no brainer. I'd love to see a Megalodon figure in 1/30 scale!)
Titanoboa cerrejonensis (Titanboa has DEFINITELY NOT been made in to a figure yet and it should be! This guy was just awesome lol.)

Come check out The Paleo Handbook, today!

ZoPteryx

Good idea Trexroarr.  :)

My picks are:

Nyctosaurus gracilis   (Pteranodon's whacky cousin)
Prionosuchus plummeri   (the biggest amphibian ever)
Xiphactinus sp.   (the famous "bulldog fish")

SBell

This is a tough category. I would have to say, two early suggestions are ones that can be summed up as 'large great white' and 'large boa'.  I am thinking that the reason these animals don't get made is because, at the end of the day, they don't really look different from a modern counterpart.

Case in point--Deinosuchus is big, but Sarcosuchus has become a more common figure. Why? Because, overall, Deinosuchus just looks like a heavy gator.  To the average eye, it just looks like a croc, so why not find one with a more unusual morphology.  Plus, of course, we still don't really know anything about the size of megalodon anyway. Double a great white? Less? More?

I would like to see some therapsids and therocephalians like Estemmenosuchus and Moschops by a larger company. And a better variety of fish. There are lots of cool ones, including armoured, sharks, agnathans, various lobefins, etc.

tyrantqueen

anchry6

My picks are:
Desmatosuchus
Dimetrodon gigashomogenes
Ornithosuchus

:D

Brontozaurus

I'd love to see an Estemmenosuchus done by SOMEONE at least. AFAIK the last one was a Jurassic Park toy so we really need a new one.

Also getting my vote for cool things that Mojo should do are marine crocodiles and the odd icthyosaur Eurhinosaurus, because there's no better way to stand out amongst a horde of Tyrannosaurus figures than through replicas of weird animals.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

SommoDracorex

There are too many that I would like... pterosaurs, marine reptiles, amphibians, sharks, fishes, crocodiles, synapsids... it would take a lifetime to list all the figures that SHOULD be produced ._.

Mauro "Raptor86"

Nyctosaurus, 1:15
Moschops, 1:20
Ischigualastia, 1:15

Ikessauro

DinoToyForum

Well, I give in to my bias every time, so I will suggest some marine reptiles.

The long snouted ichthyosaur Eurhinosaurus
The new extremely long-necked plesiosaur Albertonectes
And Liopleurodon. I don't think one can have too many Liopleurodons. Basking in the fame of Walking with Dinosaurs, they are great sellers too.

Takama

How about Pliosaurus, Based on Predetor X (AKA, P Funki)

The should also do an icthiyosaur at some point, so

Shonisaurus

And for the Heck of It  A Giant Turtle named Archolon
Quote from: SBell on December 04, 2012, 04:23:03 AM
This is a tough category. I would have to say, two early suggestions are ones that can be summed up as 'large great white' and 'large boa'.  I am thinking that the reason these animals don't get made is because, at the end of the day, they don't really look different from a modern counterpart.

Case in point--Deinosuchus is big, but Sarcosuchus has become a more common figure. Why? Because, overall, Deinosuchus just looks like a heavy gator.  To the average eye, it just looks like a croc, so why not find one with a more unusual morphology.  Plus, of course, we still don't really know anything about the size of megalodon anyway. Double a great white? Less? More?

Thinking from a childs point of view, i would think big versions of modern cretures would be cool.    "Behold My massive Condor (holds up Potential Argentavius figure) Whoooooosshh, die you little pengiun"

I think They could inspire creativity and imagination for children, while at the same time, give us prehistoric collectors a reason to buy such modern looking Cretures

CityRaptor

Well, as far as Kaiju go, I prefer individual Designs over scaled up normal animals. Same for the Prehistoric ones. So yes, Sarco instead of Deino.

That being said:
I want the Crocoduck! Anatosuchus!
Also Lystrosaurus
And Sinemys, especially Sinemys gamera!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

Quote from: Takama on December 04, 2012, 11:50:15 PM
Thinking from a childs point of view, i would think big versions of modern cretures would be cool.

Potentially, but I think what Sbell was getting at is that there's not much difference between a model of, say, Titanoboa versus a model of an anaconda in a larger scale. It's a bit redundant.

Splonkadumpocus

CM

Since I don't care much for Safari's Inostrancevia, I'll take any gorgonopsid at all. :)

Patrx

Quote from: CM on December 05, 2012, 12:44:32 AM
Since I don't care much for Safari's Inostrancevia, I'll take any gorgonopsid at all. :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that model looked a little dodgy. I'd also be thrilled to see a gorgonopsid.

SBell

Quote from: Pixelboy on December 05, 2012, 12:08:56 AM
Quote from: Takama on December 04, 2012, 11:50:15 PM
Thinking from a childs point of view, i would think big versions of modern cretures would be cool.

Potentially, but I think what Sbell was getting at is that there's not much difference between a model of, say, Titanoboa versus a model of an anaconda in a larger scale. It's a bit redundant.

That is precisely what I meant. Since their series, like most, are not to scale, a Titanoboa might as well be  an anaconda in their wildlife line. It's not that they aren't a cool concept, it's that they don't differentiate well without something to indicate size.

STORMnlNIJMEGEN

x
The Return Of The Mammoth's

Megalosaurus

Hi.

• Estemmenosuchus +1
  • Thalattosaurus
  • Redondasaurus

Saludos.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

crankydinosaur

I would love to see more prehistoric fish / arthropods / cephalopods...

going with the big guys since Mojo seems to do mostly larger figures

-Dunkleosteus
-Endoceras (a straight shelled nautiloid)
-Pterygotus (a "sea scorpion")
-Arthropleura (a very large relative of centipedes / millipedes)
-Anomalocaris (probably the largest creatures from the Burgess Shale)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: