News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quiversaurus

Quote from: SidB on June 29, 2023, 02:19:43 AMJust ordered the 'new color' red and blue one. Very curious to see how the front foot work compares with my friend Chris' modification of my original green one. Then, I want to see if they altered the crest in any way. It didn't look like the original one was correctly made into two, but from one angle it seemed that a thicker one might have been substituted, though that might just be my imagination.

Please show photos if possible! I am very curious about the crest too.

Samrukia

Paleo Flo

Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Carnoking

Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 29, 2023, 11:13:56 AMKiwi Pachyrhino

Well, now I already have a name for it and now I have to buy it!

Carnoking

Happy to welcome this big beautiful beast to the collection. Took advantage of the Aliexpress sale and opted to do without the box (as nice as that skeletal is), and all told I got this for just under 60 dollars which feels criminal!

Spoiler

Some comparison pics with the other 2023 releases I've gotten so far.

[close]

Spoiler

More Sauropod Comparisons. Didn't realize just how similar the pose is when compared to Nanmu's but at least it doesn't have that weird mammalian face going on.

[close]

Morrison Group Shot!

Bread

Probably my favorite release from Haolonggood is the Pachyrhinosaurus no doubt. I know some were quite disappointed when it was another lakustai, but in my opinion we had yet to get a perfect bulky figure of this species with a very likable color pallet.

Congratulations on the Apatosaurus Carnoking!

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on June 29, 2023, 12:50:35 PMProbably my favorite release from Haolonggood is the Pachyrhinosaurus no doubt. I know some were quite disappointed when it was another lakustai, but in my opinion we had yet to get a perfect bulky figure of this species with a very likable color pallet.

I got the gray Apatosaurus few weeks ago and liked it so much that I also ordered the brown / orange one. Should arrive any day now. For my taste, the Apatosaurus is the best release of Haolonggod so far. Very nice sculpt, nice natural pose and a decent paint scheme. I like the sculpt and pose of the Pachyrhinosaurus very much, but I find that the colors look a bit pale and unnatural. Which is sad, because I would have loved to add this little guy to my collection.

Gwangi

Quote from: Bread on June 29, 2023, 12:50:35 PMProbably my favorite release from Haolonggood is the Pachyrhinosaurus no doubt. I know some were quite disappointed when it was another lakustai, but in my opinion we had yet to get a perfect bulky figure of this species with a very likable color pallet.

I agree. I love Safari's but it is not bulky enough, and Battat's has the bulk but a terrible paintjob. Even though I have five Pachyrhinosaurus in my collection none of them check off all the boxes like this one does.

Mine should be here any day now, maybe even today!

Paleo Flo

Quote from: Carnoking on June 29, 2023, 11:38:14 AM
Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 29, 2023, 11:13:56 AMKiwi Pachyrhino

Well, now I already have a name for it and now I have to buy it!

You're welcome :-D
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Carnoking on June 29, 2023, 11:43:57 AM

Happy to welcome this big beautiful beast to the collection. Took advantage of the Aliexpress sale and opted to do without the box (as nice as that skeletal is), and all told I got this for just under 60 dollars which feels criminal!

Spoiler

Some comparison pics with the other 2023 releases I've gotten so far.

[close]

Spoiler

More Sauropod Comparisons. Didn't realize just how similar the pose is when compared to Nanmu's but at least it doesn't have that weird mammalian face going on.

[close]

Morrison Group Shot!

I like the Shrek for scale
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Thialfi

I agree, Shrek for scale should become the new norm

Duna

I've just received my kiwi pachyrrhinosaurus and my blue wuerhosaurus and they are AMAZING!. The pachy is very very hefty, it has a nice weight and presence. The head is just out of this world: a lot of colours, washes and details. I'd say it's the definite pachyrrhynosaurus figure, it surpases the PNSO by far (I never liked that figure by the way). I highly recommend it.

The wuerho is tiny but I am surprised of how much I like it, it looks much better in hands than in the picture. The colour is not striking at all, it's more grey than purple and that colour scheme fits the figure perfectly. Very very impresive little figure. This is a must have, too.

Very happy with these new figures. I was saving for the Apatosaurus but I changed to these two figures because they were on sale (the apatosaurus not), so that will be my next goal along with the pentaceratops.
Sorry as my phone has a quite bad camera.

Gwangi

I was right, I got my Haolonggood order today. Some initial thoughts...

Pentaceratops is a bit bigger than I would have liked but I knew it would be. Hard to be mad about it when it's so impressive. Figures like this make me happy that I often bide my time. I've wanted a good Penta for years but never bothered with those from Schleich or Papo. Glad I waited!

The Pachyrhinosaurus is a dream come true! It is depicted exactly the way I would have wanted it to be. This is without a doubt the best Pachyrhinosaurus available, I'll probably never buy one again unless we get the other species. And again, although I have a lot of Pachyrhinosaurus this makes me happy that I at least never bothered with PNSO's.

Wuerhosaurus is another genus I've wanted for awhile. There was a time when CollectA's was on my wishlist and I also very nearly bought the one by Vitae.

So, in one order for less than $60, I was able to get three definitive versions of 2 high demand genera and 1 for one of my favorite dinosaurs. I got the dark Penta, green Pachy, and purple Wuerho and they look so beautiful together. Can't wait to take some pictures and write some reviews for the blog!

Flaffy

After watching Dinosdragons reviews on the Pachyrhinosaurus and Wuerhosaurus, I've completely changed my preferences for the figures.

I was initially going to go for the orange Pachyrhinosaurus and purple Wuerhosaurus, but the final products colours are far more muted and washed out than promotional images suggests. The green Wuerhosaurus surprised me with how pleasing the colour scheme is, those yellow/orange plates just pop against the gentle green body.

thomasw100

Quote from: Flaffy on June 29, 2023, 06:31:32 PMAfter watching Dinosdragons reviews on the Pachyrhinosaurus and Wuerhosaurus, I've completely changed my preferences for the figures.

I was initially going to go for the orange Pachyrhinosaurus and purple Wuerhosaurus, but the final products colours are far more muted and washed out than promotional images suggests. The green Wuerhosaurus surprised me with how pleasing the colour scheme is, those yellow/orange plates just pop against the gentle green body.

The rather washed out color scheme of the Pachyrhinosaurus and the Wuerhosaurus is what is holding me somewhat back from getting them. What I do not understand is that for some species they do both color variants with these rather pale and washed out color schemes and for others like Apatosaurus, Tianzhenosaurus and now also Edmontonia they use much stronger and more Earth tone like colors. This almost feels like two entirely different styles of paintwork. Why do not do one color variant in the more pale style and the second in the more strong and Earth tone like style? This would make the two color variants really distinct from each other.

Duna

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 29, 2023, 07:56:43 PMThe rather washed out color scheme of the Pachyrhinosaurus and the Wuerhosaurus is what is holding me somewhat back from getting them. What I do not understand is that for some species they do both color variants with these rather pale and washed out color schemes and for others like Apatosaurus, Tianzhenosaurus and now also Edmontonia they use much stronger and more Earth tone like colors. This almost feels like two entirely different styles of paintwork. Why do not do one color variant in the more pale style and the second in the more strong and Earth tone like style? This would make the two color variants really distinct from each other.
Don't be tricked by the photos of some members, they are edited and have a lot of contrast/levels adjusted. The apatosaurus' colours are not as strong, they are similar to the other figures. When you want to know how the real colouration looks like, don't go to pictures, go to video reviews (but not all). For example, you can see here the real colours of the Apatosaurus, which as you can see, is quite different to the pictures by Carnoking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8m-k9W9I18&t=495s

Carnoking

I will be completely honest here, yes, the photos I post are not straight out of the camera as they do require a little bit of tweaking to get looking right. That said, I do try my best to match the appearance of the model under the lighting conditions I took the photos in which can also affect the appearance.
Andy's videos are a great example, as I feel the lights in his space can give a model a slightly washed out appearance which I also had troubles with back when I used my all white background.
There's also always going to be some variation from one paint job to the next and we all know how different older runs can look from originals based off of PNSO.

Sim

Quote from: Baryonyx on June 28, 2023, 07:16:32 PMIt would be really cool to see a thyreophoran sculpted with an open mouth!

I too think it would be good to have a thyreophoran with an open mouth!  Did you have any species in mind?  The thyreophorans known from good remains that lack a good figure are the following, with length listed in brackets:
Basal: Scutellosaurus (1.3m), Scelidosaurus (4m), Kunbarrasaurus (2.6m)
Stegosaurian: Gigantspinosaurus (4.2m), Yingshanosaurus (4-5m), Kentrosaurus (5m), Hesperosaurus (6.5m), Stegosaurus ungulatus (7-9.5m)
Ankylosaurid: Gobisaurus (5m), Liaoningosaurus (0.4m), Shamosaurus (5m), Pinacosaurus mephistocephalus (5m), Oohkotokia (5m), Platypelta (6m), Scolosaurus thronus (6m)
Nodosaurid: Gastonia burgei (5m), Gargoyleosaurus (3.5m), Mymoorapelta (3m), Panoplosaurus (5m), Europelta (5m)

Since Haolonggood is focusing on 1:35 scale figures, I think all the thyreophorans under 4m are out, maybe all the ones under 5m too.  Personally I would very much like a Kentrosaurus from Haolonggood, but I'd prefer one of the ankylosaurids and one of the nodosaurids to have an open mouth.

bmathison1972

what a coinky-dink, my Tianzhenosaurus and Wuerhosaurus arrived today, too. I ordered mine from the Haolonggood store on Amazon and they came about 2 weeks earlier than anticipated

EDIT: BTW do we know if the Wuerhosaurus was intended to be an exact species? If not, I'll assume it's the type species.

Gwangi

Quote from: bmathison1972 on June 29, 2023, 11:51:17 PMwhat a coinky-dink

I heard that in John Redcorn's voice. Not sure if you watch King of the Hill though.

Here are some pictures I quickly took outside. I can see why some are worried that these figures have a washed out appearance but they really don't. Or it's at least not as bad as pictures suggest. These iPhone pictures do not do them justice. The pictures look better on my phone than they do on my laptop too.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: