News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New For 2023

Started by vampiredesign, November 28, 2022, 07:00:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

T @thomasw100 Honestly yeah I would also be fine if Haolonggood or PNSO made it as well. Haolonggood always has the bonus of having multiple color options too. PNSO could opt for including the baby/juvenile, but it might need to be a museum release which might be needlessly expensive from the added filler.

Edit: I would love if Halonggood could do the baby too though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Quiversaurus

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin Imagine if they manage to get the size down to PNSO's juveniles and come up with a Chasmosaurus/ceratopsian pack like the Dilophosauruses, in two different colour schemes. That would be pretty darn exciting...

Leyster

avatar_Sim @Sim abslutely not. Osteoderms are bony structures of dermal nature. Scales (including big feature scales and such) originate from the epidermis. Basically, osteoderms share the same nature of gastralia and some bones of your head. Being litterally bones, there have the same chance of fossilizing other bones have. Scales are harder to fossilize and the fact ceratopsian might have had flat scales on their lower side or feature scales on their back does not mean they could have had osteoderms on their bodies, too. In fact, if they had osteoderms like that od the Haolonggood Pentaceratops, now we would have their fossils, since we found many ceratopsian remains and the crocodiles and ankylosaurus that shared their habitat with them have their osteoderms preserved.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

JakobVicent

Yesterday I received both versions of Kosmoceratops and Tlatolophus; both figures are great! Some minor paint applications with the eyes but overall happy with them.

V @vampiredesign do you plan on making any of the following into figures?
Anchiceratops
Spiclypeus
Utahceratops
Albertaceratops
Lambeosaurus magnicristatus
Saurolophus
Altirhinus

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on January 10, 2024, 11:32:18 PMavatar_Sim @Sim That is a good point. The closest we have to that is evidence from Edmontosaurus right? But that's a hadrosaur, not a ceratopsian (although both are ornithischians however), so you are totally right to call out those figures having features like that as being highly speculative as well, or the Safari Ltd Einiosaurus having Triceratops like integument, because again there's no current evidence for those features.
A number of hadrosaurids have raised dorsal scales preserved, they can be seen here: http://markwitton-com.blogspot.com/2015/12/dinosaur-scales-some-thoughts-for.html  What's very interesting is that only one of the two Saurolophus species had them, the other doesn't.  So even in closely related species, scale details can be very different.  So I really have no problem with speculative features like the "crocodilian" dorsal scales of the Haolonggood Pentaceratops, or the raised dorsal midline scales on a lot of ceratopsid figures other examples being the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus and Safari Nasutoceratops.  Also just as speculative, if not more so, is the back filaments of CollectA's ceratopsids.  No ceratopsian preserves them in that location, it's a made-up feature.

Quote from: Leyster on January 11, 2024, 05:38:09 PMavatar_Sim @Sim abslutely not. Osteoderms are bony structures of dermal nature. Scales (including big feature scales and such) originate from the epidermis. Basically, osteoderms share the same nature of gastralia and some bones of your head. Being litterally bones, there have the same chance of fossilizing other bones have. Scales are harder to fossilize and the fact ceratopsian might have had flat scales on their lower side or feature scales on their back does not mean they could have had osteoderms on their bodies, too. In fact, if they had osteoderms like that od the Haolonggood Pentaceratops, now we would have their fossils, since we found many ceratopsian remains and the crocodiles and ankylosaurus that shared their habitat with them have their osteoderms preserved.
As I said in my post which you're responding to, I think crocodilian-like osteoderms might be possible without a bone core.  As shaped scales.

With regards to Wild Past, I hope their Kickstarter will be successful!  There are a number of species I'd love to have from them!  I do find it a bit frustrating though how one moment there will be news and then there's a long period of silence... again and again...  Eofauna is like this as well.

Faelrin

avatar_Sim @Sim Thanks. I'm a bit rusty on my hadrosaur integument at the moment, so I appreciate that. I'll probably have to do more research at this point, since I'd like to compile a list together of dinosaur skin info, especially after all the work I did on the ceratopsian and theropod front recently. Edit: Research, not work, lol. Can't focus atm.

postsaurischian

On their packages HAOLONGGOOD use particular plant symbols for different herbivores :) :

Ankylosauria    Ceratopsia    Hadrosaurs    Sauropoda    Stegosauria

Leyster

avatar_Sim @Sim the point is, osteoderms cannot exist without a bony core. It's what ostoderms are.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Quote from: Leyster on January 12, 2024, 03:26:40 PMavatar_Sim @Sim the point is, osteoderms cannot exist without a bony core. It's what ostoderms are.

I know, what I'm saying is the Pentaceratops's dorsal scales could look like crocodilian osteoderms but not be osteoderms.

Faelrin

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian Good catch. I was wondering if there was any reason for them. Do the theropods have something similar?

PoptartDoodle

Quote from: JakobVicent on January 11, 2024, 06:44:13 PMV @vampiredesign do you plan on making any of the following into figures?
Anchiceratops
Spiclypeus
Utahceratops
Albertaceratops
Lambeosaurus magnicristatus
Saurolophus
Altirhinus

I second seeing Utahceratops and Anchiceratops, perhaps even Navajoceratops and Terminocavus to show the anagenetic evolution between Utahceratops and Anchiceratops as suggested in Fowler and Fowler 2020. At the end of the day, more Chasmosaurines from Haolongood would be excellent, especially if it'll be ones not often represented in models.

Sim

I too would like Anchiceratops and Utahceratops!  Chasmosaurus too!

TlatolophusJuanorum

Time is up for a New for 2024 Haolonggood discussion topic, as Paleofiguras has published this picture of the Alamosaurus ready to be shipped.

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on January 13, 2024, 06:32:08 PMTime is up for a New for 2024 Haolonggood forum, as Paleofiguras has published this picture of the Alamosaurus ready to be shipped.

This is really exciting. Lana Time Shop states on their website that the Alamosaurus would only be shipped in March, but now it may actually be a bit sooner, who knows. This will be definitely the first dinosaur highlight in 2024.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 13, 2024, 07:23:50 PM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on January 13, 2024, 06:32:08 PMTime is up for a New for 2024 Haolonggood forum, as Paleofiguras has published this picture of the Alamosaurus ready to be shipped.

This is really exciting. Lana Time Shop states on their website that the Alamosaurus would only be shipped in March, but now it may actually be a bit sooner, who knows. This will be definitely the first dinosaur highlight in 2024.
It seems this batch is for Chinese customers, but maybe also for outsiders. Let's hope they doesn't take much longer for initial reviews and international shipping. 😁

dragon53

I would like to see high-quality photos of the production paint schemes for the Alamosaurus.

In particular, the C version was described as being elephant-like (grey), but it appears blue and blurred in one later photo.

postsaurischian

Finally a package with enough space to show all their other products ;D .

Wally-217

Eagerly anticipating that DinosDragons review now 😋
In the meantime, I quickly adjusted the levels on the released images just to get a better view. The blue looks stunning and it upsets me deeply that I already have a sauropod with a similar paint scheme.

Blade-of-the-Moon

That's more than a "little" difference...

Alamosaurus
Final Product Comparison to PNSO.

Paleofiguras on FB also just added a bunch of beauty shots of all three :

Stegotyranno420

Usually, I am a strong PNSO fan, but they really missed an opportunity here to outcompete HLG.

Congrats HLG on this "battle" between titans, yours is quite superior!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: