News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

TNG Prehistoric Figures (Unending Tedium)

Started by Loon, January 28, 2023, 03:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andysdinosaurreviews

Quote from: Flaffy on February 05, 2023, 06:24:19 PMThanks for the research A @Andysdinosaurreviews ! Definitely clears things up regarding this new brand. In light of this new information, as the artists have given permission to use their sculpts, I must retract my statements regarding this company (at least for the mammals, the dinosaurs still strike me as incredibly lazy).

However, I feel that it's equally important to recognise that TNG is the exception rather than the norm. Seen way too many cases of artists having their sculpts perverted and stolen for mass production, and doesn't help that the retailer Lanatime-shop also regularly sells knockoffs/ripoffs/bootlegs of our favorite sculpts.

I absolutely agree with you. In fact I was back and forth on whether they were bootlegs or not for quite some time. Especially when you see how many bootlegs appear online nowadays. It's really hard to trust any new company, especially one that comes from China because they are so fond of bootlegs. However I am definitely very happy to see that in a sea of rotten eggs, there are still at least a few good eggs out there.

Sim

Thanks A @Andysdinosaurreviews for finding out what the situation with TNG is! :)  Like you, I'm excited at the possibility of new figures from them!  I saw a Plesiosaurus figure by them in the group photo in the first post of this thread (the photo is bigger on Aliexpress).  I wonder when the TNG Plesiosaurus will be made available as I'm quite intrigued by it.

Quote from: Renecito on February 05, 2023, 03:16:56 AM
Quote from: SimI meant that the sculptor of the resin Elasmotherium and Megacerops is the owner of Musee.  I said that because you claimed those sculpts were commissioned.  And it also differntiates this case from the Haolonggood one since Musee would be the one releasing the sculpts again.

That's not what I asked... and I said commissioned because Andy said that he was told that the sculptor of those mammals is someone named "Song" and I knew that the sculptor who owns the Musee brand is a famous paleoartist named "Mu Xi", before Musee Studio it was Muxi Studio. I don't know maybe it's the same person and "Mu xi Song" is his full name.
Sorry, there may be more than one misunderstanding.  I know I misunderstood one of RobinGoodfellow's statements earlier in this thread as saying the sculptor of the Elasmotherium and Megacerops is the owner of Musee.

Flaffy

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 06:27:17 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on February 05, 2023, 06:24:19 PMThanks for the research A @Andysdinosaurreviews ! Definitely clears things up regarding this new brand. In light of this new information, as the artists have given permission to use their sculpts, I must retract my statements regarding this company (at least for the mammals, the dinosaurs still strike me as incredibly lazy).

However, I feel that it's equally important to recognise that TNG is the exception rather than the norm. Seen way too many cases of artists having their sculpts perverted and stolen for mass production, and doesn't help that the retailer Lanatime-shop also regularly sells knockoffs/ripoffs/bootlegs of our favorite sculpts.

I absolutely agree with you. In fact I was back and forth on whether they were bootlegs or not for quite some time. Especially when you see how many bootlegs appear online nowadays. It's really hard to trust any new company, especially one that comes from China because they are so fond of bootlegs. However I am definitely very happy to see that in a sea of rotten eggs, there are still at least a few good eggs out there.

If TNG is successful; I'd love to see them, and other companies collaborating with indie artists to convert their limited-run resin sculpts into mass produced PVC models. Makes them way more accessible to casual collectors, with plenty of obscure species to choose from!

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 02:22:22 PM(..)  I'm done responding to such immaturity and ignorance (..).

..just a note: I NEVER ever used a single offensive or rude word against you.
it would have been nice if you had done the same thing.
I'm sorry to hear that you're just losing money with your channel.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on February 05, 2023, 07:28:45 PM
Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 06:27:17 PM

If TNG is successful; I'd love to see them, and other companies collaborating with indie artists to convert their limited-run resin sculpts into mass produced PVC models. Makes them way more accessible to casual collectors, with plenty of obscure species to choose from!
Interesting idea, @ Flaffy, as there is a tremendous reservoir of creativity out there in need of an opportunity to reach the mass market. I think that the "back and forth" is a phenomenon and reaction that many if not most of us have experienced is the same as this argument has developed and eventually reached its conclusion.

I, for one, appreciate the opening that TNG has created, apparently quite legitimately, as we now know from Andy's legwork, so to speak, in getting to the bottom of this vexing question. Mass producing PVC high quality sculpts from the original resins, whether inspired or more closely copied with permission, makes these available to the average, ordinary collector, like myself. This is a wonderful thing, though I suppose that not everyone will agree. Frankly, as long as there is a demonstrable path of legitimacy, however culturally contextual, I feel comfortable. I'm delighted that people of means can access and afford the high end products - all the more power to them, IMO. However it's satisfying, as far as I'm concerned, to see ordinary folk being able to acquire some great, new figures.

SidB

Quote from: Thialfi on February 05, 2023, 02:53:20 AM
Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 04, 2023, 11:47:31 PM
Quote from: Renecito on February 04, 2023, 11:32:43 PM
Quote from: Sim on February 04, 2023, 10:41:42 PMBecause using existing molds is cheaper than creating new ones.  The sculptor is the owner of Musee so they wouldn't be harmed by making toy versions of their resin sculpts.  Not needing to sculpt the same animal again and instead re-using their sculpts makes sense in these circumstances.  Creating new sculpts isn't needed as great existing ones can be used, thus time and energy is saved.

Andy said that he's trying to find out the name of the sculptor and some way to contact him directly as well but so far the only thing he's been told is his name is "Song"... he is also trying to contact Musee but it seems that you are already sure that the owner of Musee Studios is the sculptor who works for TNG, Great then I want to know what is your reliable source for that?

I have been contacting many different people trying to find out as much info as possible on this. So far the only people I've actually received a response from about it is Lana Time Shop. They're in contact with TNG, Dinone, and Musee obviously so they can stock their models and they told me the original Sculptor of those models, named "Song" is working directly with TNG and that's why they're able to release them. I've also acquired contact info for TNG themselves so I'll be messaging them directly as well to try to get some information.

Lana Time Shop has removed the TNG brand from their website altogether, which feels like a red flag?

SidB

Quote from: SidB on February 05, 2023, 08:48:05 PM
Quote from: Thialfi on February 05, 2023, 02:53:20 AM
Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 04, 2023, 11:47:31 PM
Quote from: Renecito on February 04, 2023, 11:32:43 PM
Quote from: Sim on February 04, 2023, 10:41:42 PMBecause using existing molds is cheaper than creating new ones.  The sculptor is the owner of Musee so they wouldn't be harmed by making toy versions of their resin sculpts.  Not needing to sculpt the same animal again and instead re-using their sculpts makes sense in these circumstances.  Creating new sculpts isn't needed as great existing ones can be used, thus time and energy is saved.

Andy said that he's trying to find out the name of the sculptor and some way to contact him directly as well but so far the only thing he's been told is his name is "Song"... he is also trying to contact Musee but it seems that you are already sure that the owner of Musee Studios is the sculptor who works for TNG, Great then I want to know what is your reliable source for that?

I have been contacting many different people trying to find out as much info as possible on this. So far the only people I've actually received a response from about it is Lana Time Shop. They're in contact with TNG, Dinone, and Musee obviously so they can stock their models and they told me the original Sculptor of those models, named "Song" is working directly with TNG and that's why they're able to release them. I've also acquired contact info for TNG themselves so I'll be messaging them directly as well to try to get some information.

Lana Time Shop has removed the TNG brand from their website altogether, which feels like a red flag?
Actually, I just went into Lana's site ten minutes ago and she's still listing TNG figures - one dinosaur (Parasaurolophus), three mammals (Smilodon, Mammoth, Stegodon) and the Quetzalcoatlus . My guess is that the rest of the dinosaurs have sold out at Lana Time Shop. Elsewhere, on AliExpress, other merchants are also selling TNG products.

Renecito

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 02:28:14 PMSo now back to the topic at hand. I've received a response from Musee Studio that proves what both Sim and I have been saying all along. Here is the response.

"Hello, Andy

Our studio mainly focuses on the scientific restoration of paleontology and dinosaurs. The studio was founded by three archeologists, one of whom moved to another company two years ago. They are mainly engaged in PVC plastic toy products. Later, they established the TNG brand. That company has also cooperated with us before. The prototype engineer brought several products from us, including (Elasmotherium) (Bronotheriidae), etc. They mainly make PVC for mass production of plastic. We mainly make resin statues. The number of our statues is limited, generally around 100 sets. They will not be made after the sale. TNG's products are aimed at children and low-end players. Our products are aimed at high-end players and collectors."

So there we have it. Official confirmation that the models are released by the original sculptor from Musee and by the sounds of it, we may get lucky and see similar models in the future if they continue to work together!

Interesting, they referred about TNG the same way they did about HAOLONGGOOD when they released the cheap PVC version of their Quetzatcoatlus which explains EVERYTHING!  ::)   

Thank you!  ;D
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

stargatedalek

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 05, 2023, 08:40:12 PM
Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 02:22:22 PM(..)  I'm done responding to such immaturity and ignorance (..).
You literally accused him of lying to appease his alleged sponsors. We all saw it, please don't try to backpedal.

SidB

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 05, 2023, 10:17:20 PM
You literally accused him of lying to appease his alleged sponsors. We all saw it, please don't try to backpedal.
It's best not to apologize if the apology, so-called, lacks sincerity - we are taller when we kneel (actually apologize). All that Andy was doing was trying to get to the bottom of the mystery of the root origins of TNG, which he has. Myself, I'm grateful for his work and I applaud him for defending himself. He is an enthusiast of collecting, a person like avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, for example, who currently is quite incapacitated, but is trying to keep current with developments on the forum, Andy is one decent human being. If his reviews, which I enjoy for their enthusiasm and sense of delight, comes across at times as a bit naive and over the top, that's part of their charm and winsome quality. If I want a very precise and scientific approach  combined with artistry, , I go to dinosdragons, which are very rigorous, but rather rare. It's good to ascribe worthy motives to those who disagree with us - as was said, "the next best thing to a noble friend is a noble enemy."

On the other hand, the effort to protect artists and their companies from bootleggers and their ilk is a valid one. The challenge is to discern the difference amongst the shades of right and wrong and this case proves that it is not necessarily an easy task. Now that the matter is settled through Andy's efforts, lets move on and enjoy the figures themselves.

Flaffy

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 04, 2023, 07:32:09 PM..probably from the same source who sent free samples to be positively reviewed..  ;)

At least be consistent in your narrative. If you don't like negativity in this forum then why initiate it / contribute to it? :-\
Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on December 28, 2021, 09:04:57 AMI don't know if I can call myself a "longtime member" (maybe not) but I wrote several times that such high level of negativity and criticisms doesn't help the forum (on my personal opinion, of course..).

Andysdinosaurreviews

Thank you so much S @SidB , avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 , avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek and avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy and anyone I may have missed for helping and sticking up for me. I truly, truly appreciate it! Your kind words mean the world to me! I hate arguing with anyone and I try never to be disrespectful towards others but comments like that were a bit much. Thank you again to all of you for having my back!

Faelrin

This thread has been very enlightening. Guess I was wrong for thinking these were bootlegs when this topic came up before. While some are pretty similar, there are differences. Thanks for taking a further look into this A @Andysdinosaurreviews.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 03:57:56 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on February 05, 2023, 03:52:59 PMThank you for pursuing this, A @Andysdinosaurreviews, and eliciting a clear response from Musee Studio.  That is welcome news.

Quote from: Andysdinosaurreviews on February 05, 2023, 02:28:14 PMSo now back to the topic at hand. I've received a response from Musee Studio that proves what both Sim and I have been saying all along. Here is the response.

"Hello, Andy

Our studio mainly focuses on the scientific restoration of paleontology and dinosaurs. The studio was founded by three archeologists, one of whom moved to another company two years ago. They are mainly engaged in PVC plastic toy products. Later, they established the TNG brand. That company has also cooperated with us before. The prototype engineer brought several products from us, including (Elasmotherium) (Bronotheriidae), etc. They mainly make PVC for mass production of plastic. We mainly make resin statues. The number of our statues is limited, generally around 100 sets. They will not be made after the sale. TNG's products are aimed at children and low-end players. Our products are aimed at high-end players and collectors."

So there we have it. Official confirmation that the models are released by the original sculptor from Musee and by the sounds of it, we may get lucky and see similar models in the future if they continue to work together!

You're very welcome! I'm just happy to put the confusion to bed so we can now all enjoy a new company!

I'm definitely happy to enjoy it guilt-free, now! I assume there's a similar situation going on with the dinosaur models, then?
I will have to update my review on my own blog, now!

Fembrogon

It's good to hear that at least a couple of the models - and a couple of the best ones in particular - are coming from the original sculptor. I'm much more encouraged to buy them in the future now.
Many of the dinosaurs still look like cheap imitations of other brands to me, but that's not really any different than what we've seen from Papo, Mojo, etc. I'm not too worried about getting those anyway.

For final clarification: is it the Stegodon and Elasmotherium only that are from the Musee sculptor? The other mammals are based on different artists, correct?

ceratopsian

The resin Stegodon is I believe by Dinone Studio, not Musee.

Flaffy

avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) Do you happen to have the CollectA Elasmotherium or Safari Megacerops to compare with their TNG counterparts? Would love to see how they stack up to each other.

Flaffy

Hm, didn't realise the Megacerops was that small. It's nice for sure as the base sculpt is very strong. But is it $15 nice when the larger & cheaper $10 Safari version exists? Personally I'm very satisfied with Doug's sculpt so I don't  have plans atm to add the TNG one to my collection. Great for brontothere enthusiasts though.

Sim

Quote from: Fembrogon on February 06, 2023, 05:09:16 AMFor final clarification: is it the Stegodon and Elasmotherium only that are from the Musee sculptor? The other mammals are based on different artists, correct?
avatar_Fembrogon @Fembrogon the Elasmotherium and Megacerops are from the Musee sculptor.  The other mammals we don't know for certain which sculptor made them.

SidB

Quote from: Flaffy on February 06, 2023, 03:40:03 PMHm, didn't realise the Megacerops was that small. It's nice for sure as the base sculpt is very strong. But is it $15 nice when the larger & cheaper $10 Safari version exists? Personally I'm very satisfied with Doug's sculpt so I don't  have plans atm to add the TNG one to my collection. Great for brontothere enthusiasts though.

Without having the TNG in hand, and comparing it to the Mojo, CollectA and especially Safari figures that I do own, it seems to be a 1/35 piece (also, see Andy's Youtube review). This would make it ideal foe 1/35 scale collectors, whereas the others are of a larger scale, particularly the imposing CollectA one, of course.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: