News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New titanosaur Chucarosaurus

Started by EmperorDinobot, February 06, 2023, 07:23:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

Faelrin

Most interesting thing is that this is an additional titanosaur from the Huincul Formation (same as Argentinosaurus, Mapusaurus, Meraxes, Skorpiovenator, etc).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

EmperorDinobot

It is a very dinosaur rich formation. Let us hope for a continued bountiful harvest for years to come.

VD231991

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 06, 2023, 07:23:20 PMhttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0195667123000150?fbclid=IwAR2IzLc854T8xm15qm3VJ1Z5M_-6TP1BDa1sff_TLNz71LGWdFbgaXXZepg

South American dinosaurs always have the best names. With the exception of Thanos. Like...why?

The abelisaurid theropod Thanos was named after a Marvel Comics supervillain who is the main villain of the 2018 movie Avengers: Infinity War because its describers wanted to liken the predatory nature of this abelisaurid to that of Thanos.

There are a number of Patagonian theropods with names of Mapuche origin. The name Ilokelesia means "flesh lizard", while Llukalkan means "one whose causes fear", Alnashetri means "slender thigh", and Gualicho refers to a demon in Mapuche folklore.

EmperorDinobot

Yes, and those names are fine. Thanos isn't.

Halichoeres

Obviously this is named after the chukar (Alectoris chukar) and any art, figures, etc., had better have its markings.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 13, 2023, 11:34:07 PMObviously this is named after the chukar (Alectoris chukar) and any art, figures, etc., had better have its markings.
Apparently it's Quechua for "hard and indomitable animal".

Halichoeres

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on May 14, 2023, 10:22:38 PM
Quote from: Halichoeres on May 13, 2023, 11:34:07 PMObviously this is named after the chukar (Alectoris chukar) and any art, figures, etc., had better have its markings.

I'm just goofin'. I don't really think an animal with a Sanskrit name from halfway around the world has anything to do with this sauropod. But it IS a nice color scheme.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 15, 2023, 09:17:48 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on May 14, 2023, 10:22:38 PM

I'm just goofin'. I don't really think an animal with a Sanskrit name from halfway around the world has anything to do with this sauropod. But it IS a nice color scheme.
That is one thing I don'tlike about naming prehistoric animals with unknown colors or patterns after modern animals(or anything that would indicate something Aesthetic). Thats why Erythrosuchus MUST be red, etc.

How about the Greek part then ? ;)  ;D
But yes, lovely, beautiful birds, there are many in the area of my relatives.

Ikessauro

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 08, 2023, 07:23:03 PMYes, and those names are fine. Thanos isn't.

Also, the name derives from "Thanatos", which means death in Greek I think, a reference of it being a killer.

I don't see a problem with it, but I have seen seval people expressing dislike over the name. I bet if it were given to a more complete animal (i.e. Tyrannosaur) from North America, people would be more inclined to like the name choice.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Ikessauro on May 16, 2023, 02:36:28 AM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on February 08, 2023, 07:23:03 PMYes, and those names are fine. Thanos isn't.

Also, the name derives from "Thanatos", which means death in Greek I think, a reference of it being a killer.

I don't see a problem with it, but I have seen seval people expressing dislike over the name. I bet if it were given to a more complete animal (i.e. Tyrannosaur) from North America, people would be more inclined to like the name choice.
Perhaps it was small and fragmentary, hence the backlash
Personnally, I am neutral on the name, it does seem a bit humorous and immature if it was based on Marvel character, but its just a harmless name(unlike another recently found abelisaur).

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.