News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Psittacoraptor on June 25, 2023, 01:00:13 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on June 24, 2023, 11:53:23 PMSorry, but I'm getting a bit tired of the nagging O:-) . We all now know that some here don't like what PNSO is currently doing.
 I for one am enjoying their figures and I would say most of them are outstandingly good looking ^-^ .
 Can't wait to see what's coming after the tyrannosaurids!
PNSO knows their sale numbers. Theropods are probably selling best, that's why they keep making them. Didn't they almost go bankrupt a couple of years ago? I don't blame them for sticking to what makes them money, they are a business, after all. If anything, I think their release schedule is a reminder that enthusiasts like us on this forum are probably the minority. Most people who buy dinosaur figures want those flesh-eating theropods with open mouths and sharp teeth.

I can understand why theropods have a strong appeal to many people. But then again a stream of probably 8 theropods from few clades (I have counted in the already leaked Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus) in a row with absolutely nothing else in between is getting too much. Even if you focus on theropods there could be at least some spinosauroids or similar in between. Like they did last year with the Suchomimus and the Sinopliosaurus. Out of frustration about this dearth of new promising releases from PNSO I have now ordered the Haolonggood Apatosaurus in brown as well, after I was so pleased and happy with the gray one. Also the Haolonggood Edmontonia looks promising. I really hope that the rumours about PNSO releasing at least one ceratopsian and the Irritator are correct. That would be some light at the end of the tunnel of monotonia.

Bread

I don't mind the constant therapods, but I think the issue being that PNSO once had a variety of a lineup, thus bringing criticism at this time for the lack of it.

I really don't have an issue with it, since Haolonggood have risen to fame.

My whole issue is the lack of lips and the constant excuse PNSO bring about this.

thomasw100

Quote from: Bread on June 25, 2023, 01:38:52 PMI don't mind the constant therapods, but I think the issue being that PNSO once had a variety of a lineup, thus bringing criticism at this time for the lack of it.

My whole issue is the lack of lips and the constant excuse PNSO bring about this.

I forgot to say in my previous post that I find all the PNSO models excellent, including all the theropods released this year. The sculpting and the paintwork are all on a very high level and I very much like the very naturally looking Earth tones and color blends that PNSO uses. It is just that I am more into herbivores and from that perspective PNSO has nothing offered this year. Haolonggood has come out with some really good stuff recently and the quality of their sculpting work is great and improving all the time, albeit perhaps not yet fully at the level of detail of PNSO. To be honest, however, I must admit that I do not always like the paintwork and color schemes of the Haolonggood models. I feel that some color schemes look a bit unnatural for my taste. This is why so far I only got the Tianzhenosaurus and the Apatosaurus, and will be probably getting the Edmontonia.

Faelrin

L @Leyster Thanks for sharing that information. That would have been helpful to have when I wrote my review of the figure.

Is the Prehistoric Planet Ornithomimus more correct in that interpretation given the information you shared? It seems like it has wing anatomy similar to the PNSO Deinocheirus (which are not like maniraptoran wings, such as dromaeosaurids primary feather attachment on the second digit), with the exception of random pennaceous feathers here and there. Have there been any papers following with this take? I've rarely seen paleoart of ornithomimosaurs without wings (excluding Deinocheirus).

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JohannesB

My PNSO Cameron has arrived at my local pick up point after just 11 days of travel from China to here. (My PNSO shippings always arrive within two weeks, which is nice.) But I'm only able to pick it up in a week's time, unfortunately :'(  Still, that would make it only three weeks from ordering to receiving  8)

I'll make some photo's when I have it in hand, if anyone is interested.

Medzo

I just got Cameron and have to say, it is the most beautiful figure I ever had. Has a lot of mass to it, very chunky, totally pristine muscle and skin tones, amazing paint application quality. The teeth are not bad at all.
The sheer size difference compared to the Giga justifies the price as well.

Brilliant figure.

Halichoeres

Quote from: postsaurischian on June 24, 2023, 11:53:23 PMSorry, but I'm getting a bit tired of the nagging O:-) . We all now know that some here don't like what PNSO is currently doing.
 I for one am enjoying their figures and I would say most of them are outstandingly good looking ^-^ .
 Can't wait to see what's coming after the tyrannosaurids!

Well, I'll tell you what, I'll change my tune the minute they offer something interesting (a non-dinosaur, or at least a dinosaur that differs meaningfully from their existing offerings). So now I think our interests are aligned! In the meantime, it sounds like things are going your way, and me cracking a joke about how it's going my way a little less shouldn't really diminish your enjoyment.

Quote from: Bread on June 25, 2023, 01:38:52 PMI don't mind the constant therapods, but I think the issue being that PNSO once had a variety of a lineup, thus bringing criticism at this time for the lack of it.

2021 seemed like a turning point, with much more variety in their main line (that is, non-minis) than previously. So to me last year, with only true dinosaurs, and this year, with only theropods so far, feel like a step back. Haolonggood doesn't really make up for it for me, because while I am more interested in herbivores than carnivores, I'm more interested in non-dinosaurs than either. The insistence on Nelson Muntz mouths doesn't help either, as you point out.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Bread

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 26, 2023, 01:30:12 PM

2021 seemed like a turning point, with much more variety in their main line (that is, non-minis) than previously. So to me last year, with only true dinosaurs, and this year, with only theropods so far, feel like a step back. Haolonggood doesn't really make up for it for me, because while I am more interested in herbivores than carnivores, I'm more interested in non-dinosaurs than either. The insistence on Nelson Muntz mouths doesn't help either, as you point out.
Understandable.

I really like their Atopodentatus and it's a shame they won't produce at least one prehistoric animal of this nature again.

Their prehistoric marine animals made me almost start this category for collecting, but it came to a sudden hault. I really thought that after the Cretoxyrhina they would add more, especially prehistoric sharks. Despite their slight QC issues with seamlines.

Regarding therapods, to extend further of this issue, I think the majority of issues pertaining to therapods is the lack of attention towards those that need a figure. Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus of course needed an update by PNSO, but they're plenty of other genuses that needed said attention that have yet to get a figure.

I say this, but I did acquire the new Tyrannosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'd take an Appalachiasaurus or Dryptosaurus if they really want to pump out tyrannosaurs..

Faelrin

Other then only doing theropods, I think the biggest issue is the fact it's only been two groups that already over saturate the market, even if the bulk of the species they did had no figures or were overdue for an update. Combined with what has been a pretty slow year for them overall compared to past years, likely doesn't help. Like the slowest. We are halfway through the year with only 6 models so far. Granted last year didn't have much to offer either with only 12 figures (not counting that Spinosaurus repaint), but the variety from last year is a stark contrast. I hope after perhaps the leaked Albertosaurus and Gorgosaurus they break away from carcharodontosaurs and tyrannosaurs for a while and do something different.

I wonder if people would have reacted this way if they did more neglected groups of theropods such as ornithomimosaurs, therizinosaurs, oviraptorosaurs, abelisaurids, etc. Or even alternated from carcharodontosaur, something more niche, popular tyrannosaur, something more niche, and so on.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Quiversaurus

Quote from: JohannesB on June 25, 2023, 09:19:25 PMMy PNSO Cameron has arrived at my local pick up point after just 11 days of travel from China to here. (My PNSO shippings always arrive within two weeks, which is nice.) But I'm only able to pick it up in a week's time, unfortunately :'(  Still, that would make it only three weeks from ordering to receiving  8)

I'll make some photo's when I have it in hand, if anyone is interested.

Photos please! I would definitely be interested. I mightttt get Cameron to display with Wilson - one that represents Sue, and the other to represent AMNH 5027. But he's definitely lower on my list than say a Kentrosaurus or a proper Iguanodon, or a proper Allosaurus.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on June 26, 2023, 01:30:12 PMThe insistence on Nelson Muntz mouths doesn't help either, as you point out.
At this point they are Mr. Burns territory  with all the teeth showing out.

Sim

avatar_Quiversaurus @quiversaurus, have you considered the 2018 CollectA Iguanodon?  It's outstanding!

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 26, 2023, 04:54:11 PMavatar_Quiversaurus @quiversaurus, have you considered the 2018 CollectA Iguanodon?  It's outstanding!

I have seen it, yes! But I find the paint job a bit lacking, and if I'm not wrong the scale is 1:40 (I collect more at a rough 1:35 scale)...

Gex Pdroche has done modifications on PNSO's Harvey which I would get in a heartbeat if they were the original. See the cheek and skull shape changes:

And a bonus beautiful Gabriel Ugueto sketch - what a magnificent beast, and the man for scale is useful:

Sim

That modified PNSO Iguanodon is amazing!  I notice the pronated hands weren't corrected though, they are the only definite inaccuracy on the PNSO Iguanodon.

When CollectA says a figure is 1:40, it tends not to be 1:40.  This CollectA Iguanodon is definitely not 1:40, Halichoeres has it at 1:30/1:32 in his collection thread.

Leyster

Quoteor a proper Allosaurus
The PNSO (and the Safari) are proper Allosaurus.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

TheCambrianCrusader

Quote from: Leyster on June 26, 2023, 08:17:54 PM
Collecta's is pretty solid too

Quiversaurus

Quote from: Sim on June 26, 2023, 08:00:55 PMThat modified PNSO Iguanodon is amazing!  I notice the pronated hands weren't corrected though, they are the only definite inaccuracy on the PNSO Iguanodon.

When CollectA says a figure is 1:40, it tends not to be 1:40.  This CollectA Iguanodon is definitely not 1:40, Halichoeres has it at 1:30/1:32 in his collection thread.

Ah I see! Will give it another look in that case.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Safari and Collecta Allosauruses too!

Skorpio V.

Quote from: TheCambrianCrusader on June 27, 2023, 12:54:46 AM
Quote from: Leyster on June 26, 2023, 08:17:54 PM
Collecta's is pretty solid too

That model is so over-hated it's unreal. Yeah, the legalese are obnoxious and the legs/feet are wonky proportionally, but the headsculpt and everything else is stellar, especially for the size and pricepoint.
On and off dinosaur collecting phases over the span of millions of years has led me to this very forum.

Bread

Of course this is a complete repaint, but this is what PNSO's Cameron the Tyrannosaurus would have looked like with lips.

Lips + repaint done by Dinosaur_models_artworks over on instagram!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: