News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO : New for 2023

Started by Renecito, February 08, 2023, 12:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Of course as I said the IPA phonetic symbols are not present so accents, pauses, etc are not shown as of now, I can only do it on my computer which I cannot access.
For example "y" and ğ in MG represent the voiced palatal and velar fricatives respectively.
avatar_Duna @Duna Like I said this is an anglocentric reading, so it may not fully correspond with actual Latin based vowels. This is because most of the Forum(haha forum, get it?) is from the Anglophonic world.
Also I am not sure with vulgar latin, that is why i used Scientific latin instead. For example we don't say /veločirraptorr/(if i remember correctly all r sounds were still trills or flaps, english's is an approximate consonant) we(or more accurately the people who usually publish these names and papers) say /velociraptor/.
avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian Personally I pronounce it Giganotosaurus, for being an Anglophone, parelleling words like Gigantic, and osmosis from how other peoples speak.

I would really like to see a thread where we can debate the pronunciation of different dinosaur names, I am thinking of starting it as a guide on how to pronounce   Dinosaurs(of course if one does not pronounce it correctly that is okay, but more of a suggestion based on Graeco-Latin roots)

Sim

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 feel free to start such a thread.  It could be interesting! :)

I used to pronounce Giganotosaurus with "giga" the same as in gigantic, and I still prefer it to the correct pronunciation.  However I care about pronouncing things correctly so I've switched to GIGanotosaurus.

Everything Dinosaur actually has a section in one of their Youtube videos where they cover how to correctly pronounce Giganotosaurus, at 3:19 here:

Of course, looking at the pronunciation of the original Greek word gigas also gives away how to say it.

Samrukia

oh come on, even various dialects of English differ in pronunciation of certain words
i see nothing "frustrating", the review is top class as always

Samrukia

Quote from: Sim on March 11, 2023, 05:16:51 PMavatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno420 feel free to start such a thread.  It could be interesting! :)

I used to pronounce Giganotosaurus with "giga" the same as in gigantic, and I still prefer it to the correct pronunciation.  However I care about pronouncing things correctly so I've switched to GIGanotosaurus.

Everything Dinosaur actually has a section in one of their Youtube videos where they cover how to correctly pronounce Giganotosaurus, at 3:19 here:

Of course, looking at the pronunciation of the original Greek word gigas also gives away how to say it.

how do you pronounce "Triceratops"? the pronunciations is obviously different in English and Greek

ceratopsian

I think that looking for "correctness" in pronouncing scientific names is unhelpful - if occasionally quite fun.  I've been a classical Latinist for more than 50 years (mostly Augustan or Silver Latin, but other earlier or later periods possible).  My ancient Greek isn't as good these days as it used to be but it's there (5th-century BCE Attic mainly that is, but other dialects on demand - including modern pronunciation!).  I can swap to church Latin pronunciation if required - drawing a distinction between for instance between Italianate pronunciation or the pronunciation likely to have been current in later medieval England.  I help an academic friend sometimes with her 11th-century medieval Latin.  But I don't bring any of that background to bear when I'm deciding how to pronounce "scientific Latin" (or "scientific Greek", or indeed Linnaean names that are formed by cobbling together elements from both languages). When all is said and done "scientific Latin" (or Greek) isn't a language, it's an artificial construct. My only aim is clarity of communication and ensuring what I'm saying is comprehensible to whomever I'm talking with, and that I can understand them.  I live in the south of England and (usually) pronounce English in Received Pronunciation. But if I go to a different part of the country (or even a different part of London, maybe with people from a different age group from me), where accents are very different (e.g. the Midlands, the north, or Scotland or Wales), I wouldn't tell the people I'm talking to adopt "correct" pronunciation.  I just listen to what they are conveying to me and adapt as required.  If I didn't catch what was said, I'll ask them to repeat and learn how they pronounce whatever it was that caused the difficulty.  I think the most important thing is speaking clearly and audibly to help one's audience.

Sim

Quote from: erlectric on March 11, 2023, 05:24:24 PMoh come on, even various dialects of English differ in pronunciation of certain words
::) It's fine if you're not bothered by it, but it's not fair to expect everyone else to feel the same as you, or to act condescending.  For me personally, hearing Giganotosaurus/gigas pronounced incorrectly over and over again is frustrating.

As for Triceratops, it is interesting, I wonder what led to the different pronunciations, maybe ease in pronouncing it in English?  There's no good reason for an alternative pronunciation of Giganotosaurus or gigas though as far as I'm aware.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Sim on March 11, 2023, 06:12:08 PM
Quote from: erlectric on March 11, 2023, 05:24:24 PMoh come on, even various dialects of English differ in pronunciation of certain words
::) It's fine if you're not bothered by it, but it's not fair to expect everyone else to feel the same as you, or to act condescending.  For me personally, hearing Giganotosaurus/gigas pronounced incorrectly over and over again is frustrating.

As for Triceratops, it is interesting, I wonder what led to the different pronunciations, maybe ease in pronouncing it in English?  There's no good reason for an alternative pronunciation of Giganotosaurus or gigas though as far as I'm aware.
I think both sides make a good point here, as does avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian .
Sim, I do agree it does get annoying sometimes when others mispronounce terms, and even more so when they try to justify it as "i dont care", or "stop being an elitist"(not that i think anyone has said such claims).
Reminds me of people pronouncing my name in many incorrect ways, not just because it has Breathy voiced(voiced aspiration) in it, but also there is a cartoon character of a similar name...

I mean if you can find a creative loophole to justify that would be a bit more acceptable, such as pronouncing Mexico as Meshico since that is how it was said during conquistador times, or as we have discussed here Giganotosaurus instead of Jiganotosaurus for example.
Ultimately there is no definitive,  true language
Spoiler
except Proto Indo European, the true language
[close]

SRF

Seeing the number of pages of this topic it's hard to believe PNSO only released two new figures up until now this year.
But today, I'm just being father

GojiraGuy1954

In the current collecting environment, PNSO could just breathe and get some attention
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Despite its lack of wings and fire breathing, Meraxes does look resplendent.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on March 12, 2023, 03:38:44 PMIn the current collecting environment, PNSO could just breathe and get some attention

but do they have a good resale value.. lol

dragon53

Chasmosaurus

There is a big promotion on aliexpress. It also concerns the PNSO shop.
Meraxes goes from 50 to 36 euros. I guess it's the same thing in dollar.
Man is only interested in what he invents while what surrounds him is made in a much more extraordinary and complex way

postsaurischian

Quote from: Chasmosaurus on March 20, 2023, 06:29:23 AMThere is a big promotion on aliexpress. It also concerns the PNSO shop.

Thanks for the hint! For Germany the Meraxes costs € 34.37 (shipping included).
I took the chance :) .

Duna

Quote from: postsaurischian on March 20, 2023, 09:10:01 AM
Quote from: Chasmosaurus on March 20, 2023, 06:29:23 AMThere is a big promotion on aliexpress. It also concerns the PNSO shop.

Thanks for the hint! For Germany the Meraxes costs € 34.37 (shipping included).
I took the chance :) .
That's a nice price. For Spain the same promo with taxes is 42€.

Medzo

There is always a 15% discount from time to time. I just ordered Thabo with that 2 weeks ago. Never order for full price guys.

DinoFan2010

I love these, that's all I need to say. :)

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

SRF

Thanks for noticing avatar_Chasmosaurus @Chasmosaurus. I didn't pick up the 2023 releases but now I finally have the Deinocheirus and Therizinosaurus on their way to me.
But today, I'm just being father

Medzo

Ali anniversary coupons I've found for the anniversary sale for even more discount:

ANUP3 for $3 above $25
AN5 for $5 above $45
AN9 for $9 above $75
AN18 for $18 above $150
AN25 for $25 above $210
AN35 for $35 above $290

AN9 worked for me, you shall try it out guys too.

Carnoking

No one quite knows how to tempt me like PNSO. I absolutely adore this Meraxes.

Spoiler

No, I haven't gotten the new Lucas yet. We'll see how much longer I can hold out.  :P

Much as I still have a soft spot for old Lucas, I must admit that it looks pretty ugly in comparison.

[close]

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: