News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Best Carnotaurus figure on the market ?

Started by SenSx, March 30, 2023, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SenSx

Hello,

I own the Nanmu Carnotaurus, and while it's a beautiful figure, I'm thinking of replacing it with for more accurate model.

What is in your opinion the most accurate Carnotaurus figure on the market on the 1/35 scale ?

I personnaly don't like the PNSO one with its oversized scales.
I really enjoy the Collecta, the paint application is nice, but isn't it a little bit thin ?
The Safari Carnotaurus seems to have that bulk, but I red somewhere it's still not that accurate with proportion issues.

What is your opinion ?

Thanks

Eatmycar

I'd say the PNSO is the prettiest I've had in hand... but mine will not stand for shit, so I can't endorse it. The Safari one looks really good though and is hefty. Given the whole lips confirmed for theropods thing, you might want to wait a bit longer and see what comes along.

Paleo Flo

Take the CollectA one. It's so well made and a very fine represantation.
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

Blade-of-the-Moon

Figure or statue? Nanmu sort of fits the statue category better to me.

Figures
PNSO for detail and a more svelte look
Safari for lips and bulk
CollectA I don't own
Papo Detail and action pose
Mattel size and play features ( all versions including the very detailed super colossal )

Statues
Nanmu a great detailed version of the JW Carno
Sideshow basically the original version of the Papo which was based on it
Rebor Love the bulky Disney Dinosaur version

Like most theropod dinosaurs there is likely a gracile morph and a more robust morph. If you really want something on cutting edge of accuracy look into the various 3D print artists lot s to choose from there or even the different Asian studios, https://lanatime-shop.com/search?type=product&q=carnotaurus  most may not fit the price range you want but it's good to see what else is out there.

Faelrin

The upcoming Cyberzoic one will be the most anatomically accurate as far as post the 2021 paper's re-description of the skin. Granted it will also be articulated and 1/18 scale which isn't everyone's cup of tea. Otherwise I'd recommend the 2019 Safari one for now even if it has become a little bit outdated on the skin front. At the time it was correct based on the previous understanding of the material. It has lips which is good now that there's a paper in favor of theropods having them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

JimoAi

the favourite co one. has a more accurate scalation thought hard to tell if it has no lips or it has and the colouring is too stylized

SRF

The only problem I have with the Safari one are its clown feet. Out of all the more recent releases, I think the Collecta one is the best for now, but it does lack lips.
But today, I'm just being father

SenSx

Quote from: SRF on March 31, 2023, 08:26:34 AMThe only problem I have with the Safari one are its clown feet. Out of all the more recent releases, I think the Collecta one is the best for now, but it does lack lips.

The Collecta does not have lips ?
I was exemining it and wasn't sure.

SRF

Quote from: SenSx on March 31, 2023, 09:48:18 AM
Quote from: SRF on March 31, 2023, 08:26:34 AMThe only problem I have with the Safari one are its clown feet. Out of all the more recent releases, I think the Collecta one is the best for now, but it does lack lips.

The Collecta does not have lips ?
I was exemining it and wasn't sure.

Not to the extent the Safari one has them. The new paper suggests that theropod teeth, especially in the upper jaw, would hardly be visible when the mouth is open. The Collecta Carnotaurus teeth are clearly visible.
But today, I'm just being father

Bread

Safari's has integumentary issues, if I recall correctly someone pointed this out recently. Regardless it is the best choice still.

PNSO's depicts the long legs, an outdated depiction. CollectA's somewhat does the same. Not as bad, but still noticeably longer than it should.

BOTM's will probably be too big for your collection. It is targeted for 1/18 as part of the cyberzoic line.

Halichoeres

Of the ones currently available, Safari Ltd and CollectA are the best in terms of proportions and anatomy. The arrangement of enlarged scales is out of date but there was no way for the sculptors to anticipate that, and to me that's a pretty trivial detail. The Favorite Co one is nice, but it's pretty gaunt and the legs look too long in every photo I've seen (I'd be more certain if I had it in hand). The only Carnotaurus in my collection is the Safari Ltd.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SenSx

Ok thanks everyone.

The  Cyberzoic will be out of scale for my collection, and I don't like body articulation on animal figures (except for the mouth).

The Safari is bulky, but a bit too much for my taste in the end.
I think I will pick the Collecta, I can tolerate its inacuraccies better, and I actually like it more.
The lipless thing is not too obvious for me (especially with mouth open).

Now I just wonder, how accurate is the Nanmu Carnotaurus ?
Even if it's from JW, I don't find it that jarring.
It's lipless, the head seems...how do you say ? Skinwrap ? And the horns seem wrong.

DinoFan2010

In terms of accuracy, the Safari Carnotaurus.
In terms of poseability, the Cyberzoic one (whenever the heck it comes out)
And in terms of playability, the Mattel Control n' Conquer Toro.

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

SidB

Quote from: SenSx on March 31, 2023, 12:47:45 PMOk thanks everyone.

The  Cyberzoic will be out of scale for my collection, and I don't like body articulation on animal figures (except for the mouth).

The Safari is bulky, but a bit too much for my taste in the end.
I think I will pick the Collecta, I can tolerate its inacuraccies better, and I actually like it more.
The lipless thing is not too obvious for me (especially with mouth open).

Now I just wonder, how accurate is the Nanmu Carnotaurus ?
Even if it's from JW, I don't find it that jarring.
It's lipless, the head seems...how do you say ? Skinwrap ? And the horns seem wrong.
Then there's Forest Rogers wonderful old Carnegie Safari Carno, if you can find and afford one. It might fit into the category "most handsome or artistic". A splendid piece, a bit on the gracile side in the lower extremities, but beautiful. I display mine next to Doug Watson's Wild Safari piece. They make a terrific pair.

SenSx

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on March 31, 2023, 12:51:04 PMIn terms of accuracy, the Safari Carnotaurus.
In terms of poseability, the Cyberzoic one (whenever the heck it comes out)
And in terms of playability, the Mattel Control n' Conquer Toro.

Your sure the Safari figure is the most accurate ?
I've watched reviews stating it's far too bulky to be, from the neck to the body, apparently even the head is too large.
And the tail would not be able to bend like that.

DinoFan2010

___🦕 🦕 🦖_________

JimoAi

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 31, 2023, 12:32:47 PMOf the ones currently available, Safari Ltd and CollectA are the best in terms of proportions and anatomy. The arrangement of enlarged scales is out of date but there was no way for the sculptors to anticipate that, and to me that's a pretty trivial detail. The Favorite Co one is nice, but it's pretty gaunt and the legs look too long in every photo I've seen (I'd be more certain if I had it in hand). The only Carnotaurus in my collection is the Safari Ltd.
I can email you a video of you'd like

Cretaceous Crab

SenSx

Quote from: DinoFan2010 on March 31, 2023, 02:26:00 PMReally? Huh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwdhRRp3Brg&t=568s

Well this is the comparaison video I was talking about.
But maybe he's not right on everything, he's no paleontologist as far as I know, but he probably knows more than I do so I don't know.

Mellow Stego

As much as I love PNSO I don't think their Carnotaurus is very appealing. Something about the face looks off. It's like they scales are so large the face looses any detail.
Keep calm and love dinosaurs

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: