You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Mesozoic dinosaurs have good figures and which don't, according to Sim

Started by Sim, July 24, 2023, 06:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on May 15, 2024, 06:46:10 PMCreative Beast Studio has said they intend to make an Amargasaurus for the next round of Cyberzoic figures.  I don't know how they will articulate its neck though, especially with the neck sail.  It will be very big too, I imagine.  Aside from that, I think an accurate Amargasaurus could come from PNSO, CollectA or Eofauna.

Oh yes I forgot David said he was interested in making an Amargasaurus. I guess it will be around the size of the Gorgosaurus and the other Body 4 tyrannosaurids. Other than that, out of the companies you mention, I think a new Amargasaurus would be most likely to come from PNSO, as an update to their older Museum Line model. I would adore an Amargasaurus by Eofauna, but good luck waiting for that to happen (if it ever happens)!  :P

Concavenator

I would add Recur's Sinosaurus. It's a good depiction of the animal, and while it's certainly rare, it's not like all figures from the list are readily available.

Sim

I don't think I'll add the Recur Sinosaurus.  As far as I know it's not known if it was ever produced.  That's a major point.  Even if it was produced, as far as I'm aware it wasn't made available for anyone outside of China to buy, so I don't consider it available for the purpose of this list.

Leyster

avatar_Sim @Sim avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx owns that figure and I saw it various times in Chinese forums, so it was produced for sure.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Sim

Okay, thanks L @Leyster, I think I'll include it in the list then! :)  I need to know how big it is though, can you provide any photo of it with another figure, a person's hand or anything else that would give an idea of its size?

Mattyonyx

Quote from: Sim on May 27, 2024, 05:47:17 PMOkay, thanks L @Leyster, I think I'll include it in the list then! :)  I need to know how big it is though, can you provide any photo of it with another figure, a person's hand or anything else that would give an idea of its size?

jump to 38:41, it's me unboxing my copy

Sim

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Meng's Zhuchengtitan is now available, so it can be added to the list.

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Also, I noticed the PNSO 2019 Stegosaurus isn't on the list. Did you forget about it, or is there anything wrong with it? It looks fine to me, but then I am no particular expert on the animal. If there is indeed something wrong with it, I would be curious about getting to know your reasoning.

Sim

Thanks for letting me know about the Meng Zhuchengtitan, avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator, I've added it to the list.  For the orginal PNSO Stegosaurus, I didn't include it because it has strange puffed out cheeks.  I'm not sure what to make of it.  I can include it if you think I should?

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim Maybe it's having a binge?  ;D I think it's a good Stegosaurus figure, I would include it. I also expect HLG's Stegosaurus to be added soon...  ;)

Sim

Okay, I've added the PNSO 2019 Stegosaurus.  I intend to add Haolonggood's Stegosaurus once it's released!  I'm very much looking forward to it!  The stegosaurian group is getting filled out nicely, it might even beat Allosauroidea at being the first group with satisfying figures for all its members with good remains!

Dinoguy2

I'm not sure if this has been addressed already, but with all the discussion of the details of the Haolonggood Maiasaura crest, I'm surprised the Haolonggood Pachyrhinosaurus seems to be getting a free pass despite the fact that it seems to be a mashup of features of different species. It's labelled as P. lakustai here, presumably because the the midline spike cluster, but the details of the boss seem to align more with P. canadensis. Lakustai is diagnosed by a saddle-shaped nasal boss and separated, more hornlet-like orbital bosses. Canadensis has a rounded nasal boss and large, flattened orbital bosses that contact the nasal boss. Haolonggood clearly has a mix-and-match of features from two different species.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Sim

On Paleofile, some Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai skulls are shown that fit the Haolonggood figure...

Sim

I've done some work on hadrosauroids, I've changed the section which has hadrosaurids to be of just them and moved the non-hadrosaurid hadrosauromorphs to Basal Ankylopollexia.

Sim

I've merged Stygimoloch and Dracorex into Pachycephalosaurus's entry as there is a consensus the first two are congeneric with P.  Also, I've seen that there are transitional specimens and even babies that support the three being in one genus..

I've also combined Dacentrurus and Miragaia into one entry.

I'm wondering if I should split Nanotyrannus from Tyrannosaurus?

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

avatar_Sim @Sim What about adding the new TNG Sinosauropteryx? Paleofiguras has posted some pics of it, including in-hand images, so it appears to be available already.

Faelrin

Could the recently described hadrosauriform Comptonatus chasei be added? They have nearly the whole postcranial skeleton, with a good bit of the skull (though incomplete).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I've added Comptonatus and the TNG Sinosauropteryx now.  I've also moved Scipionyx and Sciurumimus into Compsognathidae as I recently read Andrea Cau's paper on compsognathids not being a valid group and I don't find his conclusions reliable, so I'm sticking with their traditional classification for the time being.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: