News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, November 03, 2023, 11:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flaffy

Quote from: bmathison1972 on November 10, 2023, 02:45:09 PMI plan on getting the Dreadnoughtus. Will look good next to last year's Ruyangosaurus and this year's PNSO Alamosaurus.

Definitely. Glad we have such a diversity of titanosaurs to collect now. We just need a large updated Argentinosaurus to fill out the big 5!
Argentinosaurus - n/a
Alamosaurus - HLG, PNSO
Dreadnoughtus - CollectA, Mattel
Patagotitan - Safari, NHM
Ruyangosaurus - CollectA

Duna

What I can't understand is that in 2024 and after Prehistoric Planet (you only have to copy that, no need in thinking more), Safari's beautiful raptors and lots of paleoartists' drawings, models and all the information we have about dromeosaurs, feathers and wings ... they can come with that. The body is lacking depth, the pubis is missing, the neck is too short and the anatomy of the arm is all wrong (placement of the wing, form, type of feathers ...). It just looks like a featherless velociraptor even if it has feathers. Dromeosaurs looked more like birds than typical skinny dinosaurs from the 90s. I have nothing against these models from the 90s (I have even bought recently the Carnegie Velociraptor), but not nowadays ...

Sim

I'm disappointed by the Dreadnoughtus.  CollectA already made an excellent large titanosaurian figure recently, the Ruyangosaurus, so I don't see why they made another instead of making a sauropod type they are lacking as a large figure, a diplodocoid.  I'm reminded of avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator's prediction of the Dreadnoughtus looking like a clone of the CollectA Ruyangosaurus, I think Concavenator is right about that.

The new CollectA Velociraptor isn't as bad as people think.  Its wing feathers don't start at the wrist, they start at a point up the second finger.  I think it's a plausible possibility for Velociraptor, the wing feathers of pennaraptorans don't all start in the same place, in Archaeopteryx they start right after the second finger's claw, in Microraptor they start on the second finger's second metacarpal (excluding the first finger's alula feathers).
The pelvis of the new CollectA Velociraptor being too small is the only definite inaccuracy I can see, and it's an odd one.  Hopefully CollectA corrects it before the figure is released, like they did for their Microraptor's tail feathers.
The sickle claws of the new CollectA Velociraptor are done very well, they show a realistic size due to their keratin extensions.  I also like the colour scheme of this Velociraptor figure, although I wouldn't have given it that dark colouration near the cloaca.

Quote from: Flaffy on November 10, 2023, 01:15:26 PMI neglected to mention that Digits II and III would've likely been fused by soft tissue as well, a feature no Velociraptor on the market captures.
The BotM 1:18 orange Velociraptor mongoliensis has connected second and third fingers, I can't remember if the 1:18 V. osmolskae has as well and I don't have the 1:18 black V. mongoliensis so I don't know about that one.  The 2017 Safari Velociraptor can also be seen as having connected second and third fingers with the depression between them being the outline of the bones.  If I'm remembering right avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson said this.
The new CollectA Velociraptor doesn't have connected second and third fingers, you're right about that.

GojiraGuy1954

the Dreadnoughtus looks nothing like the Ruyangosaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Sim

You're exaggerating.  They have basically the same shape, they are in almost identical poses, with almost identical armour arrangements.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but for someone that doesn't like titanosaurians it just makes already boring animals even more boring and repetitive.

Gwangi

I don't think titanosaurians are boring but I certainly don't need every one of them ever described on my shelf. One or two is fine. It's the same deal with PNSO's glut of carcharodontosaurids, they're all so anatomically similar that I don't feel compelled to have them all. At this point I'm more interested in a collection that displays diversity of form rather than complete taxonomic groups of similar animals.

I don't have the CollectA Ruyangosaurus so I might get either that one or the Dread, but not both. And if I decide to get the PNSO or Haolonggood Alamosaurus I probably won't get either of CollectA's titanosaurians. But that's just me and I'm still happy for those with different collecting preferences. A Dreadnoughtus figure is something that should be available but it wouldn't hurt CollectA to diversify their sauropod selection a bit more. 

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2023, 04:05:59 PM
Quote from: Flaffy on November 10, 2023, 01:15:26 PMI neglected to mention that Digits II and III would've likely been fused by soft tissue as well, a feature no Velociraptor on the market captures.
The BotM 1:18 orange Velociraptor mongoliensis has connected second and third fingers, I can't remember if the 1:18 V. osmolskae has as well and I don't have the 1:18 black V. mongoliensis so I don't know about that one.  The 2017 Safari Velociraptor can also be seen as having connected second and third fingers with the depression between them being the outline of the bones.  If I'm remembering right avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson said this.
The new CollectA Velociraptor doesn't have connected second and third fingers, you're right about that.

I definitely wouldn't consider the 1/18 BotM Velociraptor having connected Digits II & III to our current knowledge. It's a direct downscale from the larger sculpt and the digits are clearly splayed apart. By comparison the BotM Utahraptor sculpt. Very stark difference. The "membrane" between the two digits would've prevented significant degrees of individual movement.

Jed Taylor (one of the best dromaeosaur paleoartists) has provided this helpful visual of a naked Deinonychus arm.

I stand corrected on the Safari Velociraptor. The scaly digits gave the impression that they were separated. Thankfully Doug's later raptor sculpts fully cements the idea that these dinosaurs basically had wings rather than arms.

Sim

My understanding is that the end portions of the second and third finger might not have been connected, if I'm remembering right there's a paper that suggests Bambiraptor's third finger might have been used for grasping separate from the rest of the forelimb.  I'm not sure there's a consensus on this.  Personally, I would go with the second and third finger being connected starting from where the remiges begin, as supporting the remiges better appears to be the reason the second and third finger are connected in pennaraptorans.

Faelrin

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy How does that compare with like the Anchiornis specimen for example, where digits two and three are in a fleshy mitten of sorts covered by skin, etc? I think I recall reading that dromaeosaurids had a bit more functionality at the tips of their digits way back when the development of the BotM Raptor Series was underway (like regarding the Dromaeosaurus hands I think). It kind of looks like that's the case with the Zhenyuanlong skeleton for example, but I'm not certain (need to revisit the paper at some point).

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Flaffy

Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2023, 04:05:59 PMThe new CollectA Velociraptor isn't as bad as people think.  Its wing feathers don't start at the wrist, they start at a point up the second finger.  I think it's a plausible possibility for Velociraptor, the wing feathers of pennaraptorans don't all start in the same place, in Archaeopteryx they start right after the second finger's claw, in Microraptor they start on the second finger's second metacarpal (excluding the first finger's alula feathers).

Not sure what you mean sorry, with reference to where the wing supposedly "starts" and "ends".

From my understanding:
- Primaries attach on Digits II and Metacarpal II.
- Primaries "begins" on the distal end (near fingertips) of Digit II and terminate at around the proximal end (near wrists) of MCII.
- Secondaries attach to the Ulna; beginning on the distal end (near wrist) and terminating on the proximal end (near elbow).

Onto the CollectA Velociraptor. The primaries seem to begin on the metacarpals at best, and on the wrists at worst. The sculpt does not seem to engage the second digit in any meaningful matter, hence why I referred to it as "wrist wings". I don't know of any winged Pennaraptoran that does not engage the second digit in it's wing anatomy.

RJ Palmer's diagram on raptor wing anatomy is very helpful at visualising this

Flaffy

Quote from: Faelrin on November 10, 2023, 05:44:07 PMavatar_Flaffy @Flaffy How does that compare with like the Anchiornis specimen for example, where digits two and three are in a fleshy mitten of sorts covered by skin, etc? I think I recall reading that dromaeosaurids had a bit more functionality at the tips of their digits way back when the development of the BotM Raptor Series was underway (like regarding the Dromaeosaurus hands I think). It kind of looks like that's the case with the Zhenyuanlong skeleton for example, but I'm not certain (need to revisit the paper at some point).

Unfortunately I'm not too well versed in the details of dromaeosaur wing anatomy, so I am unable to comment with confidence on whether a heavily feathered flesh-mitten (like extant avians) is more accurate or if a simpler soft tissue connection is the way to go. However, I'm inclined to believe that all Pennaraptorans had fused Digits II and III at some capacity, the extent of which is likely species dependent. Further down the avian family tree you go, the more reduced the third digit becomes, the more fused it is with Digit II until it is vestigial / lost in extant birds.

What is incorrect though is leaving Dromaeosaur digits II & III completely separate and individually mobile (rare excpetions apply? re:Bambiraptor avatar_Sim @Sim ). I don't recall Velociraptor being found with particular adaptations for a highly mobile Digit III.

Sim

I mean that in Microraptor, on the second finger the primaries begin on the second metacarpal and end near the wrist.  They don't start at the fingertip like on Archaeopteryx.

Quote from: Flaffy on November 10, 2023, 06:09:52 PMUnfortunately I'm not too well versed in the details of dromaeosaur wing anatomy, so I am unable to comment with confidence on whether a heavily feathered flesh-mitten (like extant avians) is more accurate or if a simpler soft tissue connection is the way to go. However, I'm inclined to believe that all Pennaraptorans had fused Digits II and III at some capacity, the extent of which is likely species dependent.
I too think all pennaraptorans had connected second and third fingers.

As for Bambiraptor, the possibility of it having a moveable third finger is explained on the Bambiraptor Wikipedia page, with a reference.  I've read the abstract of that paper, the rest being paywalled, and it does say Bambiraptor could move its third finger to hold things in one hand.  It also says Deinonychus lacked that ability.  Weird!

DefinitelyNOTDilo

Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2023, 06:38:54 PMAs for Bambiraptor, the possibility of it having a moveable third finger is explained on the Bambiraptor Wikipedia page, with a reference.  I've read the abstract of that paper, the rest being paywalled, and it does say Bambiraptor could move its third finger to hold things in one hand.  It also says Deinonychus lacked that ability.  Weird!
Bambiraptor is known from a juvenile right? Perhaps the fused fingers was a trait that only developed in adulthood?

Sim

I also would like to say that the new CollectA Velociraptor's body feathers look better than those of their Microraptor and I like that CollectA gave the Velociraptor a Zhenyuanlong-style tail rather than a Microraptor-style one.  I'm also happy CollectA has finally made dromaeosaurids again, with their Microraptor and now their Velociraptor!  I hope they make more in the future, or close relatives such as troodontids or oviraptorosaurs.

Regarding the Dreadnoughtus, it's nice that it isn't another grey CollectA sauropod.

TheCambrianCrusader

Love that Dreadnoughtus, its great we're starting to get some proper big titanosaur models after theyve been left out to dry for so long. Bit of a shame about the claw but its not a huge issue.

That Velociraptor tho..
Tbh I didn't have that high hopes for a collecta Velociraptor but yeah this guy just aint up to snuff. Like if they released this back in 2015 or something then sure buuuut nowadays yeeeaah. I'm not gonna say this thing is inexcusable per say cuz its definitely not bad and in an ocean of jp knockoffs its good to have another attempt at an actual Velociraptor but the standards have been raised a lot for maniraptor figures. It's a darn shame that Safari and BOTM are the only companies that are putting out quality maniraptors. Hopefully Collecta will improve like they always do.
(gosh im so excited to see if that Placerias comes true)

TheCambrianCrusader

Also I don't really get the burnout on Collecta's sauropods. They've only made 3 so far in the past 4 years and its something they obviously excel at. Its not like with pnso where they've been constantly pumping them out for the entire year. If they're a group you're not super invested in no worries, collecta always has a pretty diverse lineup.

Lynx

Quote from: Sim on November 10, 2023, 04:47:53 PM

You're exaggerating.  They have basically the same shape, they are in almost identical poses, with almost identical armour arrangements.  There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but for someone that doesn't like titanosaurians it just makes already boring animals even more boring and repetitive.

I'm not sure what they are able to do with such similar animals to make them not "almost identical" besides maybe switching up the armor arrangements.
An oversized house cat.

suspsy

The comparison pics of Dreadnoughtus and Ruyangosaurus make me want the former even more.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Flaffy

Quote from: suspsy on November 11, 2023, 02:38:23 PMThe comparison pics of Dreadnoughtus and Ruyangosaurus make me want the former even more.

Indeed, good size too. Glad CollectA, HLG and PNSO are proving that the days of large sauropod figures are not behind us! (Mattel as well to some extent but they're an entirely different beast)

Sim

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on November 11, 2023, 02:33:35 PMAverage theropod fan
No, I like dinosaurs from all three main groups plus lots of other animals.  Again, you're exaggerating.  Also, please don't reply to my posts again, I've had enough of your silly insults.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: