You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna Scientific Research - New for 2024

Started by Concavenator, December 04, 2023, 12:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 06, 2024, 05:44:52 PMLips existence is still debatable. Look what happened Tyrannosaurus imperator and baboon like intelligence recently. Not the mention feathered T.rex.

Hopefully one day it'll be proven whether they had lips or not. Until then it's a matter of choice.
For years I was in the lipless camp, and resistant to changing that opinion or even open to the possibility of lips.  Never mind that I grew up with all the old art books that showed T-rex with lips.  There is a certain appeal to having the big teeth showing like on a crocodile, they look cool for sure.  BUT everything I've learned over the past 4-5 years has led me to conclude that while we don't know (100%) for sure?  I'm now leaning towards the highest probability being that they were lipped.  That being said irregardless of whether or not I had changed my mind about this, I would still have bought this piece.  If for no other reason than it's a unique figure in a sea of T-rex figures and based on solid scientific research.

Dilopho

There's "no lips" which is boring to me, and then there's "no lips and also the lower jaw slides almost fully into the top jaw so that the teeth reach down as far as possible" which actively disgusts me.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Dilopho on July 06, 2024, 06:56:15 PMThere's "no lips" which is boring to me, and then there's "no lips and also the lower jaw slides almost fully into the top jaw so that the teeth reach down as far as possible" which actively disgusts me.

The PNSO Wilson, not sure where I heard, read, or watched on a video that if the mouth actually closed as much as it does on the toy, the animal would've crushed his own skull, LOL

The biggest reason I didn't buy the most recent Wilson or Cameron is that I just felt that they just went overboard with the price and the teeth.  Here we get an anatomically accurate T-rex with lips for $39.99 and it even includes a small base.  So what if it doesn't have the sophisticated PNSO painting techniques with their amazing fading, washes, filters, etc.  But by virtue of this having been released, I think the next PNSO T-rex just might be worth that $69-75 price tag.  Eofauna is leading the way here for other manufacturers to produce their own "updated" version as well;)

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on July 03, 2024, 04:32:37 AMIt's my next review for the blog.

I read you had difficult time attaching the base. Maybe because you tried to match geometric shapes on the stand with under it's feet? I watched a YouTuber said he had difficulty as well and said his mistake was shouldn't try to match those shape , It should be opposite.

If that's the case maybe you would like to add that into the review for helping others before somebody damage their toy.

Nice review by the way. This toy reminds me Saurian T.rex by RJ Palmer.. even the patterns similar a little bit, except colors.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Dilopho on July 06, 2024, 06:56:15 PMThere's "no lips" which is boring to me, and then there's "no lips and also the lower jaw slides almost fully into the top jaw so that the teeth reach down as far as possible" which actively disgusts me.

At 14:40 & 18:25 PNSO Official channel explains their approach.

Turkeysaurus

So basically PNSO follows Thomas Carr 2017 while Eofauna goes with Thomas M. Cullen 2023.

In defense of PNSO:
30th March lipped paper is released
24th May PNSO Cameron is released.

Less than 2 months between so they were probably already too much into production of New T.rex.

I wonder if Zhao Chuang (PNSO artist) changed his favor on lips. Thomas Carr haven't, even after New paper.

Gwangi

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 06, 2024, 11:23:17 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on July 03, 2024, 04:32:37 AMIt's my next review for the blog.

I read you had difficult time attaching the base. Maybe because you tried to match geometric shapes on the stand with under it's feet? I watched a YouTuber said he had difficulty as well and said his mistake was shouldn't try to match those shape , It should be opposite.

If that's the case maybe you would like to add that into the review for helping others before somebody damage their toy.

Nice review by the way. This toy reminds me Saurian T.rex by RJ Palmer.. even the patterns similar a little bit, except colors.

I did try attaching it the wrong way initially but even once I figured it out it was a snug fit. I think the legs were slightly warped and didn't align 100% with the pegs but it didn't take me too long to figure it out. That's a good idea about adding that to the review, I will do so.

Turkeysaurus

I'm waiting someone to paint their Eofauna like this.

CARN0TAURUS

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 07, 2024, 02:35:27 AM

I'm waiting someone to paint their Eofauna like this.

I wish I had the confidence to even try something like that.  It looks like an advanced level paint job to me, so many layers and so many colors mixed in, looks really complex and difficult to pull that off.  The guys that send off their Dinos to the different studios that do this type of work might eventually post images of one inspired by that image.  I have an extra Sue coming soon but that one is going to stay factory paint.  The one I fooled around with I've decided to leave it be for a good chunk of time before deciding what to do with it.  Right now I'm thinking I'll probably take it back to primer, but I'd be lying if I didn't admit how much I'm enjoying it on the shelf right now with all it's crazy colors and patterns.  I'm sure I'll grow tired of it sometime soon ;)

SidB

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on July 06, 2024, 11:23:17 PM

I saw that review too, so I initially attempted that approach. However, I soon switched back to matching the geometrical shapes and for me that worked perfectly.

Ajax88

Just got this in the mail, I have to say, it is an extremely satisfying sculpt. The seam on the head is not very noticeable in hand, and there isn't a more accurate or "alive" feeling Tyrannosaurus rex on the market! I don't particularly love Tyrannosaurus rex in general, but it's one of my favorite figures already.

Carnoking

Didn't realize I missed the initial batch of this release when I put my order in, so I had to wait a little longer to get my copy in. What can I say though? She was worth the wait!

The things that bothered me about the figure are certainly still prevalent, i.e., the jaw seams, the blunted teeth, and the bizarre speckling within the mouth. It isn't helped by the fact that the jaw on mine seems a bit offset so it doesn't close completely flush.

All that said, with the mouth half open and the figure at a reasonable distance, all of those issues fall away for me. This is a glorious addition to my collection, and an instantly iconic interpretation from EoFauna that I am so happy to have.

Spoiler

PNSO's Cameron is certainly the "safer" figure between the two, but I'm happy to have both.

[close]

Together at last.

Ajax88

Whoever painted my copy had the foresight to speckle the interior of the mouth... THEN paint the teeth. Which I greatly appreciate. I did grab a little gloss acrylics and mix up a more pleasing dark reddish pink for the tongue and cover up some of the speckling.

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.