News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Thankful for- 2023

Started by Saarlooswolfhound, December 11, 2023, 05:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saarlooswolfhound

Alright, I wanted to start this topic over here too; this is something I have done on STS for a few years now. As in the past, I like to reflect on the collecting year as it comes to a close. I find that its nice to revel on new additions just one more time and its nice to think on the joy of collecting. I have so many wonderful friends whom have given me treasures, or things that I was able to pursue and purchase after a long search, or any number of other scenarios. Anyway, I will update this topic periodically with some of my favorite additions from this year, and I encourage anyone to contribute if they like!

First off... every year I find that there are "themes" to my collecting focus. This year I got enamored by elephants!

Of the prehistoric kind.This past spring and summer I learned of Eofauna and TNG and fell IN LOVE with their prehistoric mammals! I put off getting them as prehistoric figures are often so much more expensive and are just not as big of a focus for me (or so I thought). But then I noticed that the Eofauna and TNG mammals I wanted were going out of stock in some places amd began to panic. But still, trying to save on shipping I waited until I found a place with all 4 Eofauna in stock! When they arrived I fell in love! Then I had to piece together the TNG models but was able to track them down in the end. I love the stegodon and smilodon the most from that series.

Then, in the fall, the stars seemed to align. I found a Safari Ambelodon for sale for a reasonable price but in the UK. Luckily, I have one my best friends who lives there and was so gracious as to help me out (THANK YOU AGAIN Taylor!). A short while later, I also found the Bullyland gomphotherium state-side and snapped one up! Lastly, after missing out on several listings of the Safari smilodon cub over the last few years (the high bids quickly got out of my wallet's price range) Jolie so kindly posted a link to a very reasonable buy-it-now listing on ebay!

Thus, it has been a very productive year for the prehistoric category of my collection this year

Saarlooswolfhound

This is the end of my "thankful for" prehistoric list for 2023. If anyone wish to show theirs here please feel free. :)

This year was a great year for my prehistoric collection. It really livened up. Not only did I find another grail in the WWD series Ophthalmasaurus but I got several PNSO models that enriched that group for me. I was SO excited to see the eatemmenosuchus by Safari I HAD to have it! And I snagged the elusive Scutosaurus and Leptoceratops for myself this year also.  Not only these but a great friend on STS got me some Bullys also

Concavenator

That's a great batch, some gems there. Also, where did you find those PNSO minis? They're not easy to find.

Halichoeres

Looks like it's been a good year for your collection! The elephants are a very striking group.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

Great idea for a thread avatar_Saarlooswolfhound @Saarlooswolfhound and great batches of great figures there.

Well folks might be aware this year wasn't an overall good one for me personally (exceptions being my baby niece, and having a roof over my head still), but aside from that, collection wise there were a few great things I knocked off the wishlist that I have been wanting for years, both genera I wanted in my collection, and actual figures.

I guess to start with would be the fact that I managed to obtain a full set of the 1998 Play Visions Prehistoric Amphibians, thanks to someone pointing me to it over on instagram, while posting on PNSO's artwork of a Platyhystrix, hoping someone would make another figure of that adorable sail backed temnospondyl. This set was one of my dream sets to obtain for many years (I think shortly after I joined the forum and first learned about them), so I'm so glad to finally have these little beauties in hand now. What I also love is that they correspond to the artwork in one of my favorite childhood books. This was also prior to moving into the motel.

As far as the BotM figures go, I got several this year, the first batch from supporting the kickstarter in 2021. The second was a surprise gift from my mother. The last of which was the most recent haul due to some very lucky timing in having a new credit card arrive, and my brother thankfully agreeing to go with me to Legions Con last month. I've reviewed the Kickstarter exclusive Tyrannosaurus, the Yutyrannus, and once it is finally published, the Medusaceratops (already submitted as a draft back in November). The Yutyrannus is definitely on my top ten of 2023 figures.

Bonus pic of me at Legions Con with me and the guys (my brother took the pic):

I'm also thankful for the Ouranosaurus from Haolongood (no good pic), and CollectA Koolasuchus (which I'm still in the process of writing my review for the blog) two genera I've had on my wishlist for quite some time. Also special thanks to avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy for all the help with the Mattel minis this year (including the newest 2024 wave, and some from the last 2022 wave, such as the Nasutoceratops and Concavenator sets). I reviewed them as well for the blog, and it would not have been possible without his help.

As far as things on my wishlist, I'm glad Safari Ltd made Utahraptor, and Estemmenosuchus, quite a bit from Haolonggood, and Paleozoo, and a few from PNSO as well.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Saarlooswolfhound

Thank you both. I originally got my PNSO minis from HappyHenToys, but then I got a nearly complete set from a member here who bought it to get 3 models and didn't need the rest. I got some duplicates too but most of them were new for me! These are just some of my favorites.

Saarlooswolfhound

We posted at the same time Faelrin! Great contribution to this thread! I love the PV prehistoric amphibians. All of these are great! Congratulations!

Libraraptor

Quote from: Saarlooswolfhound on December 27, 2023, 05:52:53 AMThis is the end of my "thankful for" prehistoric list for 2023. If anyone wish to show theirs here please feel free. :)

This year was a great year for my prehistoric collection. It really livened up. Not only did I find another grail in the WWD series Ophthalmasaurus but I got several PNSO models that enriched that group for me. I was SO excited to see the eatemmenosuchus by Safari I HAD to have it! And I snagged the elusive Scutosaurus and Leptoceratops for myself this year also.  Not only these but a great friend on STS got me some Bullys also
Bullyland Procynosuchus ^-^

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.