News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

HAOLONGGOOD - New for 2024

Started by postsaurischian, January 14, 2024, 10:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: ceratopsian on June 26, 2024, 08:35:25 PMI ordered your "Fruit" and the blue. Not the green, avatar_Turkeysaurus @Turkeysaurus.

Funny, I ordered the same two. Both have arrived today and both are really wonderful :)

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 26, 2024, 06:13:45 PMIf green version is the most popular, PNSO must know what they are doing with color choices.

Is this lound minority vs silent majority situation? Because green/orange  for stegosaurus is the most unimaginative combination for sure.

Green is my love but Fruit is my passion to be honest.
For me it is a practical choice. Stegosaurus lived in a lush environment dominated by fern prairies. So it would likely be at least somewhat camouflaged. There's also no evidence they lived in large groups, so disruptive color would not be appropriate. The plates are clearly for display, so they should be colorful. Only one option (the green one) has an earth-tone body with colorful plates. I bought the green one ;)

By the way, you mentioned some reviewers prefer the gray color on large dinosaurs. This works for mammals because mammalian predators lack good color vision. But dinosaur predators had excellent color vision, so color on both predator and prey that matched the backdrop or had disruptive color patterns would be preferred by natural selection. Unless they lived in very rocky or arid environments, I would not expect to see too many gray dinosaurs. And very large sauropods that did not need to rely on camouflage could go nuts with color and pattern.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 27, 2024, 03:05:12 PM
Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 26, 2024, 06:13:45 PMIf green version is the most popular, PNSO must know what they are doing with color choices.

Is this lound minority vs silent majority situation? Because green/orange  for stegosaurus is the most unimaginative combination for sure.

For me it is a practical choice. Stegosaurus lived in a lush environment dominated by fern prairies. So it would likely be at least somewhat camouflaged. There's also no evidence they lived in large groups, so disruptive color would not be appropriate. The plates are clearly for display, so they should be colorful. Only one option (the green one) has an earth-tone body with colorful plates. I bought the green one ;)

By the way, you mentioned some reviewers prefer the gray color on large dinosaurs. This works for mammals because mammalian predators lack good color vision. But dinosaur predators had excellent color vision, so color on both predator and prey that matched the backdrop or had disruptive color patterns would be preferred by natural selection. Unless they lived in very rocky or arid environments, I would not expect to see too many gray dinosaurs. And very large sauropods that did not need to rely on camouflage could go nuts with color and pattern.

It's more plausible for sure. But if stegosaurus is any other color than green that would make our green Stegosaurus as wrong as Blue or fruit. A   Gray lion would be still wrong as Blue lion.

When we select a variant we must go with what we like most. What we convince ourself "more plausible, natural, makes sense , camouflage" look is actually as artistic choice as Fruit or Blue. It just more attractive for us just like vibrant colors might attractive for others.

thomasw100

Dinos Dragons review of Stegosaurus ungulatus:

Carnoking

All these reviews with multiple variants are making it really hard to just get one!

Turkeysaurus

DinosDragons please stop talking about those wiggly lines looking unnatural on your HLG reviews before people think we are the same person.  :))

So i want to point out i disagree with most of his taste/thoughts in this video other than that part. To me HLG > PNSO > REBOR and Green & Fruit > Blue when it comes to Stegosaurus.

Paleo Flo

Quote from: Carnoking on June 27, 2024, 09:32:01 PMAll these reviews with multiple variants are making it really hard to just get one!

That's right. For me I'm still satisfied with my Safari "Sophie".

After I watched the video I came to the conclusion that I will pass the ungulatus.
It was almost an instant buy for me (despite I was torn between Fruit and Classic) but.... I don't know...there is something about it I don't like.

I'm lookig forward to the Styracosaurus and the Amargasaurus
Welcome to Florassic Park...my collection:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10638.0

thomasw100

Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 28, 2024, 06:39:51 AM
Quote from: Carnoking on June 27, 2024, 09:32:01 PMAll these reviews with multiple variants are making it really hard to just get one!

After I watched the video I came to the conclusion that I will pass the ungulatus.
It was almost an instant buy for me (despite I was torn between Fruit and Classic) but.... I don't know...there is something about it I don't like.

I am also looking forward to the Amargasaurus, because I do not have any model of this genus yet. I was thinking about the PNSO at some point, but I did not like the second paint variant and the first one was sold out when I looked into this. I am a bit concerned that the Haolonggood Amargasaurus may not have the sail correct. What was shown in the catalogue is closer to current reconstructions than anything else available, but still not yet there. Hopefully they were able to make corrections in response to feedback that came up in this thread.

SenSx

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 28, 2024, 07:11:25 AM
Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 28, 2024, 06:39:51 AM

I am also looking forward to the Amargasaurus, because I do not have any model of this genus yet. I was thinking about the PNSO at some point, but I did not like the second paint variant and the first one was sold out when I looked into this. I am a bit concerned that the Haolonggood Amargasaurus may not have the sail correct. What was shown in the catalogue is closer to current reconstructions than anything else available, but still not yet there. Hopefully they were able to make corrections in response to feedback that came up in this thread.

I doubt they will make any correction.
I'll wait and see, but will probably grab the Paleokhris one instead.

Turkeysaurus

Quote from: Paleo Flo on June 28, 2024, 06:39:51 AMI'm lookig forward to the Styracosaurus and the Amargasaurus

It will be tough to improve PNSO styracosaurus but I'm patiently waiting.

I'd spent my budget on PNSO stegosaurus & styracosaurus already if i didn't know what's coming this year from HGL.

I'm a living proof why HLG's releasing the chart of upcoming projects works.lol

Styracosaurus is my favorite ceratopsian  so I'm glad PNSO has already a great one if HLG doesn't do it for me.

Turkeysaurus

Does anybody has a clue what's coming up next? Camarasaurus , Styracosaurus, Amargasaurus?

thomasw100

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 28, 2024, 08:14:34 PMDoes anybody has a clue what's coming up next? Camarasaurus , Styracosaurus, Amargasaurus?

Not really, but I found it remarkable that they posted on X that in July a new release would come. And asked people to guess what it could be.

I do not think they would make this kind of announcement for any of the small ceratopsians and the like.

They may be releasing something bigger. The Camarasaurus could really be an option.

Or even one of the huge sauropods that were shown in this teaser image at the beginning of the year.

An interesting question and answer is actually found in connection to this above mentioned post. Someone guessed "a marine reptile" and Haolonggood answer was "maybe next year".

TlatolophusJuanorum

Haolonggood 2024 releases update (late June)

2 more releases added and a new chart for "limited"/strange colour schemes as for Mamenchisaurus and "froot loops" Stegosaurus.
Limited edition schemes

Dark-coloured schemes

Light-coloured schemes

As we are now getting 2 releases per Month, we've had since March
March - Ornithopod/ Ceratopsid
April - Ankylosaur/ Sauropod
May- Ornithopod/ Ankylosaur
June- Stegosaur/ Ceratopsid
So we have left 4 Ceratopsids, 2 Sauropods and 2 Thyreophorans (1 Ankylosaur and 1 Stegosaur),so if HLG keeps their "release speed", we can expect 4 more months of herbivore releases until late October or mid November maybe?
I'll bet on this future release schedule, given they don't repeat a group
July- Sauropod / Ceratopsid (I'll go with Amargasaurus - Einiosaurus, they already have a poster with Amargasaurus)
August- Ceratopsid / Ankylosaur (Styracosaurus - Tarchia)
September- Stegosaur / Ceratopsid (Huayangosaurus - Utahceratops)
October- Ceratopsid / Sauropod (Medusaceratops - Camarasaurus)

Their sauropod releases came every two months, so it is not that far from reality.
Let's wait and see...

Sim

That we might get marine reptiles from Haolonggood next year is an exciting surprise!  I hope Haolonggood will make marine reptiles next year!  With how awesomely they've been producing what people hope for, if they produce marine reptiles we could get some very interesting species from Haolonggood!

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on June 28, 2024, 09:29:11 PMAs we are now getting 2 releases per Month, we've had since March
So we have left 4 Ceratopsids, 2 Sauropods and 2 Thyreophorans (1 Ankylosaur and 1 Stegosaur),so if HLG keeps their "release speed", we can expect 4 more months of herbivore releases until late October or mid November maybe?
July- Sauropod / Ceratopsid (I'll go with Amargasaurus - Einiosaurus, they already have a poster with Amargasaurus)

Their sauropod releases came every two months, so it is not that far from reality.
Let's wait and see...

The ankylosaur that is still due to be released is actually confirmed as Saichania, not Tarchia.

I think there will the releases which are not on that catalogue page. They have said at some point that they plan to release 30 species this year.

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: thomasw100 on June 29, 2024, 05:54:39 AM
Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on June 28, 2024, 09:29:11 PMAs we are now getting 2 releases per Month, we've had since March

Let's wait and see...

The ankylosaur that is still due to be released is actually confirmed as Saichania, not Tarchia.

I think there will the releases which are not on that catalogue page. They have said at some point that they plan to release 30 species this year.
Oh yes, I forgot about it. I am also aware of it, I just think they'll make the same order for carnivores at the last part of the year. A huge gap to fill tho

thomasw100

Quote from: TlatolophusJuanorum on June 29, 2024, 07:14:29 AMOh yes, I forgot about it. I am also aware of it, I just think they'll make the same order for carnivores at the last part of the year. A huge gap to fill tho

The big question for me is if they will still release one of these two huge sauropods, i.e. Brachiosaurus and Argentinosaurus, this year.

Turkeysaurus

I hope they release Argentinosaurus in next 2 months..or i might get Alamosaurus only.

Quiversaurus

Finally watched DinosDragons' review. It's cemented my decision to get the green version, cause in this review, somehow, it looks more blue-green than green-green, as I thought before.

I enjoyed his comparison shots as well. Placing them here in case anyone needs them down the line:

With PNSO's Wuerhosaurus. I like how well these guys complement each other. They somehow look really good together.

With HLG's Dacentrurus. It's amazing how we once all thought their Dacentrurus represented the pinnacle of HLG's work with Stegosaurs - how their new Stegosaurus has proved that wrong! In fact the stripes on the Dacentrurus look especially squiggly next to the S. ungulatus:

With PNSO's Miragaia. Still a great model, and now with increased relevance.

Lastly, with the PNSO S. stenops. I think these two look absolutely wonderful together.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on June 27, 2024, 03:56:55 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on June 27, 2024, 03:05:12 PM

It's more plausible for sure. But if stegosaurus is any other color than green that would make our green Stegosaurus as wrong as Blue or fruit. A   Gray lion would be still wrong as Blue lion.

When we select a variant we must go with what we like most. What we convince ourself "more plausible, natural, makes sense , camouflage" look is actually as artistic choice as Fruit or Blue. It just more attractive for us just like vibrant colors might attractive for others.

That's true. And to be clear, I don't have anything against colorful variants. In fact my favorite Stegosaurus is still the mid-90s orange Carnegie. I will say, I've yet to see what I would consider both a very plausible AND very colorful take on Stegosaurus: The plates are clearly for display, so it seems off when the body is more colorful than the plates. Furthermore, having the plates be brightly colored would seem to negate any possible use that camouflage would serve on the body. So, why not have the plates AND the body act as a billboard for one big continuous color pattern display? This would emphasize both disruptive color (can't tell where the flesh ends and the armor begins) and the idea that the plates helped the animal look bigger overall. Make the plates into more of a frill.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: