News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRF

As much as I love Tyrannosaurus and prefer theropods being lipped, I really hope PNSO releases something different. It would be kinda dirty to a lot of people who purchased Cameron last year if PNSO decides to release a lipped T. Rex already this year. Also I really hope PNSO is going to release something different this year than another streak of theropods. For instance a new ceratopsian is long overdue if you ask me.
But today, I'm just being father

Blade-of-the-Moon

Yeah that's a bit wrong if they did..that was a pricey figure being museum line and all.

Much rather a nondinosaur or something rarer..Nothosaurus. Postosuchus, or maybe Plateosaurus?

SidB

Quote from: SRF on February 16, 2024, 08:07:50 AMAs much as I love Tyrannosaurus and prefer theropods being lipped, I really hope PNSO releases something different. It would be kinda dirty to a lot of people who purchased Cameron last year if PNSO decides to release a lipped T. Rex already this year. Also I really hope PNSO is going to release something different this year than another streak of theropods. For instance a new ceratopsian is long overdue if you ask me.
Agreed, but PNSO seems quite capable, historically, of popping out one T-rex after another: witness-  Wilson 1, 2, 3, then Andrea, then Cameron. So anything seems possible to me.

I had my Cameron lipped last year by Bravo Models, so I'm totally not excited about a new lipped Cameron, unless it's in a rather different pose, in which case it might get a new designation. But, of course, that's yet another rex.

Carnoking

Wonder if they'd label it T. mcraensis

Carnoking

And while we're on he subject of new papers, perhaps they'll decide to release a lipped Nanotyrannus  :))   

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Gunnersaurus on February 16, 2024, 03:18:16 AM
Quote from: Joel1905 on February 16, 2024, 12:00:24 AM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on February 15, 2024, 09:02:27 PMsooooo when is pnso going to announce a new model

After Chinese New Year ends, so after February 25th.

Fingers crossed for a lipped Tyrannosaurus Rex!

They only just released cameron last year!

I feel they have a few existing models that could do with an upgrade over the rex (carnotaurus, corythosaurus, mosasaurus, torvosaurus to name a few).

That's not to mention species that have never had a pnso model.

Why Torvo? Overall PNSO one is the most accurate out there, good body proportions, unlike newer models from other manufacturers, head is pretty good too, scale is accurate and not oversized, most people use to think about the animal at being 11m or 12m and thats outdated (and chimeric), only thing I would change is color scheme and lips.

Edit: also I would wait to the upcoming description of 'elvis' in case of need an updte on that model.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on February 16, 2024, 04:12:52 PM
Quote from: Gunnersaurus on February 16, 2024, 03:18:16 AM
Quote from: Joel1905 on February 16, 2024, 12:00:24 AM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on February 15, 2024, 09:02:27 PMsooooo when is pnso going to announce a new model

After Chinese New Year ends, so after February 25th.

Fingers crossed for a lipped Tyrannosaurus Rex!

They only just released cameron last year!

I feel they have a few existing models that could do with an upgrade over the rex (carnotaurus, corythosaurus, mosasaurus, torvosaurus to name a few).

That's not to mention species that have never had a pnso model.

Why Torvo? Overall PNSO one is the most accurate out there, good body proportions, unlike newer models from other manufacturers, head is pretty good too, scale is accurate and not oversized, most people use to think about the animal at being 11m or 12m and thats outdated (and chimeric), only thing I would change is color scheme and lips.

Edit: also I would wait to the upcoming description of 'elvis' in case of need an updte on that model.

torvo gotta be one of the most underrated pnso's... it has maybe one of my favorite paint schemes and colors, the face is goofy (the teeth in specific) but adding lips does make the figure peak (I'm adding lips to mine)

Sim

I too like the colouration of the PNSO Torvosaurus and I like the figure itself, but its head looks a bit goofy to me and I can't work out why.  I would also prefer the figure without spines on its back.  I am consequently interested in a new Torvosaurus figure, I think lips would be good on it.  I'd hope for a head that looks more Torvosaurus-y, like on Fred Wierum's fab Torvosaurus tanneri restoration seen below.

(Image source)

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Sim on February 16, 2024, 06:14:20 PMI too like the colouration of the PNSO Torvosaurus and I like the figure itself, but its head looks a bit goofy to me and I can't work out why.  I would also prefer the figure without spines on its back.  I am consequently interested in a new Torvosaurus figure, I think lips would be good on it.  I'd hope for a head that looks more Torvosaurus-y, like on Fred Wierum's fab Torvosaurus tanneri restoration seen below.

(Image source)
Yeah I can live without the spikes but I will say they are done very finely and look good for what they are. I am also thinking about shaving the horns a bit as well after adding the lips.

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: Sim on February 16, 2024, 06:14:20 PMI too like the colouration of the PNSO Torvosaurus and I like the figure itself, but its head looks a bit goofy to me and I can't work out why.  I would also prefer the figure without spines on its back.  I am consequently interested in a new Torvosaurus figure, I think lips would be good on it.  I'd hope for a head that looks more Torvosaurus-y, like on Fred Wierum's fab Torvosaurus tanneri restoration seen below.

(Image source)

In fact PNSO head is the most accurate of all, this is the actual skull of Torvo, based on the newest and most complete material:

The img you posted is an outdated reconstruction, early 10's when it was usually depicted with normal megalosaurid and even allosaurid skull proportions, but lot has changed since then, PNSO is clearly based on the most up to date data. The body also in that illustration is based on Megalosaurus bucklandi and allosauroids, but T. tanneri had very different proportions, it had some of the shortest (thoug robust) tibias and metatarsals, it was a short-legged animal, like Majungasaurus, Rajasaurus... this is why I said "chimerical" in the previous post, the concept many people have of Torvo is not real (not their fault as it was depicted that way when it become more popular 2010s), it doesnt exist (allosauroid tall ascending process of maxilla, allosauroid squamosal, quadrate, quadratojugal... allosauroid or normal megalosaurid long legs...). The real Torvo is really bizarre and unique, some of its adaptations resemble to those of spinosaurids. We know now all these things thanks to Elvis specimen, when its full description is publishe it will hopefully spread what the species actually looks like to more casual websites and reach the general public who cannot be all days, every day reading the latest articles or can't even access them at all(paywall).

I think PNSO is the only one that have depicted Torvo accurately to the general public. Adding lips would still show a clear ~ between the maxilla and jugal, unlike the drawing where the lips start from the lowestt point of the jugal (impossible).

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I would like to point out that Fred's torvo very much does match the new material, and tbh I feel that pnso's is still too bulky and the head is still somewhat off even keeping the new material in mind.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 17, 2024, 12:06:06 AMI would like to point out that Fred's torvo very much does match the new material, and tbh I feel that pnso's is still too bulky and the head is still somewhat off even keeping the new material in mind.
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on February 16, 2024, 11:25:38 PM

(Image source)

In fact PNSO head is the most accurate of all, this is the actual skull of Torvo, based on the newest and most complete material:

The img you posted is an outdated reconstruction, early 10's when it was usually depicted with normal megalosaurid and even allosaurid skull proportions, but lot has changed since then, PNSO is clearly based on the most up to date data. The body also in that illustration is based on Megalosaurus bucklandi and allosauroids, but T. tanneri had very different proportions, it had some of the shortest (thoug robust) tibias and metatarsals, it was a short-legged animal, like Majungasaurus, Rajasaurus... this is why I said "chimerical" in the previous post, the concept many people have of Torvo is not real (not their fault as it was depicted that way when it become more popular 2010s), it doesnt exist (allosauroid tall ascending process of maxilla, allosauroid squamosal, quadrate, quadratojugal... allosauroid or normal megalosaurid long legs...). The real Torvo is really bizarre and unique, some of its adaptations resemble to those of spinosaurids. We know now all these things thanks to Elvis specimen, when its full description is publishe it will hopefully spread what the species actually looks like to more casual websites and reach the general public who cannot be all days, every day reading the latest articles or can't even access them at all(paywall).

I think PNSO is the only one that have depicted Torvo accurately to the general public. Adding lips would still show a clear ~ between the maxilla and jugal, unlike the drawing where the lips start from the lowestt point of the jugal (impossible).

im going to sculpt lips on my torso so can you explain the way the lips should look in more detail

Manospundylus gigas

Quote from: oscars_dinos on February 17, 2024, 03:19:19 AM
Quote from: DefinitelyNOTDilo on February 17, 2024, 12:06:06 AMI would like to point out that Fred's torvo very much does match the new material, and tbh I feel that pnso's is still too bulky and the head is still somewhat off even keeping the new material in mind.
Quote from: Manospundylus gigas on February 16, 2024, 11:25:38 PM

(Image source)

im going to sculpt lips on my torso so can you explain the way the lips should look in more detail

Jugal process of maxilla-Blue

Lips-Red

SOFT tissue-Green

PNSO one- Black lips start at level of lacrimal

By doing this I notice that PNSO alveoli goes too caudally in the maxilla

SRF

I really don't think it's likely that PNSO is going to release a new Torvosaurus in 2024.
But today, I'm just being father

Gwangi

I don't think PNSO need to re-release anything at all. We're talking about models from just a few years ago here. So many more prehistoric animals out there that need attention. 

Samrukia

this discussion goes off topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Sim

Joel1905

Quote from: Gwangi on February 17, 2024, 02:35:57 PMI don't think PNSO need to re-release anything at all. We're talking about models from just a few years ago here. So many more prehistoric animals out there that need attention. 

I think the 'bigger' names definitely need updates. Whether its lips on Theropods, chunkier Hadrosaurs, or just improvements on textures.

At the end of the day, PNSO are a business, and updating popular dinosaurs is more important to them than a handful of collectors wanting obscure species.

Gwangi

Quote from: Joel1905 on February 18, 2024, 11:13:23 AM
Quote from: Gwangi on February 17, 2024, 02:35:57 PMI don't think PNSO need to re-release anything at all. We're talking about models from just a few years ago here. So many more prehistoric animals out there that need attention. 

I think the 'bigger' names definitely need updates. Whether its lips on Theropods, chunkier Hadrosaurs, or just improvements on textures.

At the end of the day, PNSO are a business, and updating popular dinosaurs is more important to them than a handful of collectors wanting obscure species.

I don't honestly know what would generate them more money, repeating the same old stuff they've done or making completely new genera. I'm not about to buy a new Corythosaurus, Sinoceratops, or Tarbosaurus from PNSO when I only just acquired them over the last few years. I can live with their imperfections. If I couldn't, I wouldn't have bought them. Plus, there are PLENTY of species left that I would hardly call obscure.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: