News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2024, 02:04:05 AM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on January 20, 2024, 09:38:57 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 20, 2024, 06:50:56 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2024, 05:16:37 PMPeople "hedge their bets" for good reason.

" The science changes so fast and we're all running to catch up ".

the Spinosaurus dilemma... 

True. Prehistoric toy/model companies in general as well as museums even.  Thoughts, theories ,ect are easily to put out there compared to having to find time and money to renovate models and exhibits.

I'm feeling this to the point where I'm adding lips on my old pnso's... It feels so odd to have some with lips and some without

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: oscars_dinos on January 21, 2024, 05:23:59 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 20, 2024, 05:16:37 PMPeople "hedge their bets" for good reason.

True. Prehistoric toy/model companies in general as well as museums even.  Thoughts, theories ,ect are easily to put out there compared to having to find time and money to renovate models and exhibits.

I'm feeling this to the point where I'm adding lips on my old pnso's... It feels so odd to have some with lips and some without

You might as well update them yourself if that's your preference.  They might eventually get to them but PNSO doesn't hold a lot of resell value so it's hard to do something with your old ones aside from just give them away.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2024, 06:26:40 PM

You might as well update them yourself if that's your preference.  They might eventually get to them but PNSO doesn't hold a lot of resell value so it's hard to do something with your old ones aside from just give them away.

yeah I've been seeing that with my old spino... which by the way I'm selling if anyone wants... please

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: oscars_dinos on January 21, 2024, 07:29:21 PM

yeah I've been seeing that with my old spino... which by the way I'm selling if anyone wants... please

The big old green spiney one or the newer now old one? I sold my green one finally for 20.00 to a friend who thought it still looked cool. I have the new/old one which to me is still essentially the same as the new one just smaller.  I might get the new one on sale if I find a decent deal or just wait for a big statue, a 1:15 version would replace my Sideshow Dinosauria Spino which I have for sale now.

oscars_dinos

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 21, 2024, 07:36:02 PM
Quote from: oscars_dinos on January 21, 2024, 07:29:21 PM

The big old green spiney one or the newer now old one? I sold my green one finally for 20.00 to a friend who thought it still looked cool. I have the new/old one which to me is still essentially the same as the new one just smaller.  I might get the new one on sale if I find a decent deal or just wait for a big statue, a 1:15 version would replace my Sideshow Dinosauria Spino which I have for sale now.

yeah I'm selling the newer old one lol, the lil guy

Joel1905

Quote from: Duna on January 20, 2024, 04:28:07 PMSkin flaps on cheeks are very likely to have existed (at least partially) as the author of the paper stated. That's why I don't like the PNSO version and I don't like very much the Iguanodon (which I have).

Worth noting that Nabavizedeh also gives just as much of a likelihood to lizard-like lips

marisaura

Quote from: Prehistory Resurrection on January 26, 2024, 09:17:46 PM

i like it a lot more here than in the promo images! the detailing is really impressive.

SidB

Agreed, avatar_marisaura @marisaura . It's just about the pinnacle of PNSO sculpting quality. Magnificent. I've got one on reserve at Everything Dinosaur, along with the new  Spinosaurus both of which are in transit from China to them. A great start to 2024, for sure.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on January 27, 2024, 12:51:08 AMAgreed, avatar_marisaura @marisaura . It's just about the pinnacle of PNSO sculpting quality. Magnificent. I've got one on reserve at Everything Dinosaur, along with the new  Spinosaurus both of which are in transit from China to them. A great start to 2024, for sure.

The sculpting quality of PNSO is superb and has again improved compared to where it was a year ago. We see that in the Edmontosaurus and also in the Spinosaurus. Haolonggood has been catching up considerably and the fineness of detail and skin texture is now really excellent as well. We see that in the Alamosaurus and the Kosmoceratops for example. But I still notice one difference that has nothing to do with the sculpt detail as such. The texture of the PNSO models is very crisp and the surface looks virtually like that of resin models, whereas that of Haolonggood models is less crisp. I would think that this is more a question of the production process and would probably depend on the exact recipe of the material used and the quality of the molding machines.

SidB

Quote from: thomasw100 on January 27, 2024, 07:45:10 AM
Quote from: SidB on January 27, 2024, 12:51:08 AMAgreed, avatar_marisaura @marisaura . It's just about the pinnacle of PNSO sculpting quality. Magnificent. I've got one on reserve at Everything Dinosaur, along with the new  Spinosaurus both of which are in transit from China to them. A great start to 2024, for sure.

The sculpting quality of PNSO is superb and has again improved compared to where it was a year ago. We see that in the Edmontosaurus and also in the Spinosaurus. Haolonggood has been catching up considerably and the fineness of detail and skin texture is now really excellent as well. We see that in the Alamosaurus and the Kosmoceratops for example. But I still notice one difference that has nothing to do with the sculpt detail as such. The texture of the PNSO models is very crisp and the surface looks virtually like that of resin models, whereas that of Haolonggood models is less crisp. I would think that this is more a question of the production process and would probably depend on the exact recipe of the material used and the quality of the molding machines.
Very observant, T @thomasw100 . I felt that there was still this slight difference between the two in terms of finished product, though HLG is sooo very  close now, and the two rank one and two respectively among all of the mass-produced figures available on the market. I feel very comfortable displaying both together in my dioramas, and I've been gradually removing numbers of the representatives of other companies rom these displays and putting them into storage or limiting them to displays of exclusively their own 'look'.

thomasw100

Quote from: SidB on January 27, 2024, 03:52:22 PMVery observant, T @thomasw100 . I felt that there was still this slight difference between the two in terms of finished product, though HLG is sooo very  close now, and the two rank one and two respectively among all of the mass-produced figures available on the market. I feel very comfortable displaying both together in my dioramas, and I've been gradually removing numbers of the representatives of other companies rom these displays and putting them into storage or limiting them to displays of exclusively their own 'look'.

I actually find this feature of the surface texture quite difficult to describe. To me this appears somewhat glassy and molten as if the PVC material after injection is still a bit too plastic or even liquid and able to deform and move. This could maybe be explained by the cooling or quenching process after the injection of the PVC into the mold being too slow or the material having a too low viscosity so that it can still deform. The textures of the Haolonggood models to me appear as if the molds and the surface textures as such are crisper than what we can see in the final product. It almost looks like the model that is originally quite crisp has been reheated and the material started to flow in the process, resulting in the original textures becoming a bit blurred.

I think that if Haolonggood really wants to be on equal level with PNSO they may need to optimize the injection molding process even further. The issue is not prominent at all with some figures like for example the most recent Kosmoceratops or the Dacentrurus, but much more prominent with others like the Tlatolophus. I would be really curious to know what PNSO is doing different here. Do they just use some much more expensive molding machines that have a more optimized injection and quenching process that preserves the surface textures of the injected model with great pecision? If this would be the case, this could in part actually explain the more expensive price of PNSO models compared to Haolonggood models.

Prehistory Resurrection

Sadly, no comparison with CollectA's version.

SidB

avatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection , I suspect that he doesn't own a CollectA Edmontosaurus for comparison purposes. I don't think that he has many figures from that brand, if his site's inventory of reviews is any guide.

SRF

Quote from: SidB on January 31, 2024, 06:53:14 PMavatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection , I suspect that he doesn't own a CollectA Edmontosaurus for comparison purposes. I don't think that he has many figures from that brand, if his site's inventory of reviews is any guide.

He actually mentions that the Safari Edmontosaurus is the only other Edmontosaurus he owns.

I sure hope we'll have a sale on AliExpress soon, because I really want to add this Edmontosaurus to my collection!
But today, I'm just being father

TlatolophusJuanorum

Quote from: SRF on January 31, 2024, 07:40:23 PM
Quote from: SidB on January 31, 2024, 06:53:14 PMavatar_Prehistory Resurrection @Prehistory Resurrection , I suspect that he doesn't own a CollectA Edmontosaurus for comparison purposes. I don't think that he has many figures from that brand, if his site's inventory of reviews is any guide.

He actually mentions that the Safari Edmontosaurus is the only other Edmontosaurus he owns.

I sure hope we'll have a sale on AliExpress soon, because I really want to add this Edmontosaurus to my collection!
We will surely do, and it is way nearer than we thought.
Choice day always comes the first of every month, and Zabad is included.  :))
I hope this sale gets LA people who couldn't also buy it otherwise, as PNSO has restricted most of us to 50+USD Choice-shipping figures such as Aymen and Zabad.

Faelrin

A @Andysdinosaurreviews shared some pics on his instagram recently with the CollectA Edmontosaurus, etc. Hopefully these will be helpful to folks here:

https://www.instagram.com/p/C2vUtBeP1ok/?img_index=6

And in the comments of that post D @Dino Scream3232 mentions his Ancestors Edmontosaurus tail exploded off and goo came out. Not relevant to PNSO, but figured it might be worth mentioning anyways, since some folks here have this model.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

MLMjp

So after seeing the review of dinos & dragons I guess we can say that this Edmontosaurus is yet another case of PNSO mixing characteristics of two different species instead of properly representing one, like their Iguanodon with Mantellisaurus skull or their Allosaurus jimmadseni/fragilis hybrid.

In this case, a skull that looks closer to annecets (I admit I was wrong when I said it looked closer to E.regalis, although the snout is still a tad too short)  but with the E.regalis comb. Which honestly is equally as disappointing as not having a proper E.annecets figure. Still a gorgeous figure but damn, unless you have customizer skills to get rid of that comb you are stuck with this hybrid.

DefinitelyNOTDilo

I'd hardly call the comb "mixing annectens and regalis". We don't have any evidence that annectens didn't have a comb and its unique shape imo makes it totally believable to me that it's simply a shared feature in Edmontosaurus as a whole, even if it's speculative.

Wally-217

Quote from: Faelrin on January 31, 2024, 10:36:31 PMAnd in the comments of that post Dino Scream3232 mentions his Ancestors Edmontosaurus tail exploded off and goo came out. Not relevant to PNSO, but figured it might be worth mentioning anyways, since some folks here have this model.
Just a PSA - if those are resin printed models then that 'goo' is faily toxic. Not going to kill you but something you definitely don't want near your skin, eyes or airways. Heard this happening a lot in resin printing circles, if the model has uncured resin trapped inside. Can't find the original comment to confirm but better safe than sorry. Ideally any contaminated surface/wipes should be left in uv (i.e. the sun) to cure any residue.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: