News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

Quote from: Paleo Flo on May 30, 2024, 11:53:00 AMIs this PNSO's answer to Haolonggoods visually attractive dinosaur reconstructions? In my modest opinion it seems to be.
At first sight I liked the model nevertheless but I have zero interest in the genus. So it wouldn't be a buy for me.
Furthermore I think today, that the transitions from one colour to another are feeling very unnatural. This is just my opinion.
I cherish PNSOs models a lot I have to say in addition.
I think that this Tyrannotitan has some HLG-vibes in it.

We can clearly see that this years lineup from PNSO is experimenting with more diverse paint designs and more color accents. It may reflect the fact that many people have been repeatedly complaining about brown dinosaurs with brown stripes. I would also think that they are starting to feel the competition from Haolonggood. I am not sure if the paint design of the Tyrannotitan is an immediate reaction to the paint designs from Haolonggood or rather a reaction to the more general complaints they have received. Now the best that could happen would be if this would encourage PNSO to also make a few large sauropods. I think if they would make them they would be masterpieces.

Carnoking

Looking at the Tyrannotian, it almost feels like it was designed to be brown/yellow with stripes but the purple and blue were added to make it look a bit more distinct.

That said, PNSO's figures of this group have always been relatively colorful

ceratopsian

For the sake of clarity, the reason I'm unlikely to buy this is nothing to do with the lips v. lipless debate. Or indeed with how extensive or otherwise the fossil remains are. It's a handsome figure but simply doesn't fit with the focus of my collection.

bmathison1972

Quote from: ceratopsian on May 30, 2024, 01:41:30 PMFor the sake of clarity, the reason I'm unlikely to buy this is nothing to do with the lips v. lipless debate. Or indeed with how extensive or otherwise the fossil remains are. It's a handsome figure but simply doesn't fit with the focus of my collection.

Same. I don't give a rat's patootie about lips vs. no lips. I just don't have the space (or interest) to fill my shelves with the onslaught of large PNSO theropods.

Sim

I have to say I'm surprised PNSO hasn't made a lipped tyrannosauroid yet.  Also, the Tyrannotitan being a figure I'm not interested in means another PNSO release that I can save space with.  I don't have a lot of space left for figures, so a new release not taking up space is just as good as a new figure I do want!

Joel1905

I don't mean to be dramatic, but I am *desperately* disappointed that this model doesn't have lips. I really hope the speculation about it being produced with the other Carcharodontosaurs last year and had its release postponed is true because it'd be really gutting to see PNSO turn their back on lipped Theropods again.

I guess we'll find out with the next Theropod. I just *really* hope it has lips.

Spinosaurids without lips I can accept, but not any others.

Turkeysaurus

Maybe they didn't want produce a lipped Tyrannotitan for those buying all of the carcharodontoids. It would look odd only one of them have lips next to eachother if you are making the family collection.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 30, 2024, 05:17:52 PMMaybe they didn't want produce a lipped Tyrannotitan for those buying all of the carcharodontoids. It would look odd only one of them have lips next to eachother if you are making the family collection.

That's certainly what I was thinking. At least the exposed teeth don't look as nightmarish as the Sinraptor.

Primeval12

The worst offender is that poor Qianzhousaurus

Concavenator

Quote from: Turkeysaurus on May 29, 2024, 08:45:07 PMSo what's your favorite carcharodontosaurid from PNSO?

Meraxes and Acrocanthosaurus for me, in that order (still have to grab both). Which also happen to be the two carcharodontosaurids with the best fossil remains out of the ones they've produced so far (excluding the mini Concavenator).

The Meraxes is essentially perfect, my only quirk is the lack of lips, which while not a deal breaker for me, is still something I'd rather avoid if possible. It's also actually colorful, a rarity among PNSO figures. The Acrocanthosaurus is also really good, but I'm placing it beneath the Meraxes, because as avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres proved, it has a bit of an oversized head, and DinosDragons pointed out how its left arm is more forward-pointing than it could. So based on those two slight inaccuracies it goes behind the Meraxes in my book. Anyways, still a really nice model, and the colors are lovely too.

The others are nice models (liplessness aside), but I'm not interested in them. As far as Giganotosaurini are concerned, I have enough with Meraxes, the rest I can easily skip as they aren't adding any further value to my collection from a phylogenetic/morphological perspective. And Acrocanthosaurus is morphologically distinctive enough to be worth getting in my opinion.

That said, if somebody manages to release equally good or better versions of Acrocanthosaurus and Meraxes (in the latter's case, just lipped) before I get the PNSO versions then I will forget about said PNSO versions.

Gwangi

With the mouth open you can't really tell that the teeth are any more exposed than the theropods with concealed teeth. This isn't as egregious as the Qianzhousaurus, Wilson, or Sinraptor.

For example, the Tyrannotitan and Yangchuanosaurus. You just maybe see a bit more of the teeth. Seems to me that if you don't like the look of exposed teeth, keeping the mouth open is the solution because they're all exposed to some degree that way. 

Anyway, I've decided that I will get the Tyrannotitan. That paintjob is fire and I want to reward PNSO for switching up the palette. And although I'm not terribly interested in Tyrannotitan my collection could use some more carcharodontosaurids. It's not a favorite group of mine and so I don't have many of them. The only other PNSO carcharodontosaurid I have is the Carcharodontosaurus.

I understand having preferences but the rigidity that some people force onto themselves seems unnecessary. I'm seeing people that genuinely like this model but refuse to get it over that one thing, even though it's perfect in every other way. If you like it, just get it.  :P 

Ludodactylus

Quote from: Gwangi on May 30, 2024, 06:43:58 PMI understand having preferences but the rigidity that some people force onto themselves seems unnecessary. I'm seeing people that genuinely like this model but refuse to get it over that one thing, even though it's perfect in every other way. If you like it, just get it.  :P 

The Weird Al song "Close But No Cigar" comes to mind.

This is a wonderfully eye-catching figure; it's not a genus I know anything about and theropods are not anything I'm prioritizing but this is a figure I'm putting on my wishlist.
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Pinbacker

I like Carcharodontosauridae. I have loved all the models that PNSO has produced within this clade. Yes, they are all extremely similar to one another, but it's also fun to appreciate the subtle differences when you have them all together on the shelf. Last year, when I got the Mapusaurus in hand, I was hoping they would just go ahead and give us a Tyrannotitan for the sake of completeness. I kind of figured they wouldn't, but now I am pleasantly surprised. Would lips have been nice? Yes, but at least this model will look consistent with the other PNSO Carcharodontosaurids. The coloration and pose are excellent.

Anyway, maybe I'm the target audience for this release. I also hope we get a Concavenator soon. I've liked the variety in PNSO's releases this year so far; there's been a little something for everyone.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Ludodactylus on May 30, 2024, 06:59:23 PMThe Weird Al song "Close But No Cigar" comes to mind.

Because it's otherwise pretty spectacular but one small detail is making people ditch it?

Halichoeres

Well, it does look nice, but it feels pretty pointless given how many near-identical animals they've already made. The incomplete remains of Tyrannotitan mean that any real differences are unknown and any apparent differences are invented. This is just new pajamas and a new pose for their basic carcharodontosaurid. (Besides finding carcharodontosaurids tedious, "Tyrannotitan" sits on the continuum of names that make my eyes roll about halfway between "Teratophoneus" and "Dynamoterror.")

Slots in PNSO's lineup are precious and this squanders one, in my opinion. But at least they haven't squandered all the slots this year--the Lufengosaurus is excellent.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Turkeysaurus

It would be wrong if they didn't look like eachothers. Still there are subtle differences between them . Besides different names, size & colors make tüm good enough for sale. We don't have to buy all but for those who are fan of this family of dinosaurs it's amazing.

Most dinosaurs look almost identical to their close relatives. I guess producing  all of them between such short amout of time make it look like boring choice.

Gwangi

Quote from: Halichoeres on May 30, 2024, 11:23:10 PMWell, it does look nice, but it feels pretty pointless given how many near-identical animals they've already made. The incomplete remains of Tyrannotitan mean that any real differences are unknown and any apparent differences are invented. This is just new pajamas and a new pose for their basic carcharodontosaurid. (Besides finding carcharodontosaurids tedious, "Tyrannotitan" sits on the continuum of names that make my eyes roll about halfway between "Teratophoneus" and "Dynamoterror.")

Slots in PNSO's lineup are precious and this squanders one, in my opinion. But at least they haven't squandered all the slots this year--the Lufengosaurus is excellent.

But you're going to get it, aren't you? You have to based on the nature of your collection and the rules you've imposed upon yourself.  >:D

Faelrin

As much as I don't need this one, I may eventually pick it up anyways. Tyrannotitan and purple has a been a thing in my mind for ages and I don't even know why. Like that condition where you hear or taste colors? Idk. Same with green and Lambeosaurus for me too. And PNSO did both here.

Will also look good alongside Meraxes, and like the rest of their recent carcharodontosaurs. I mean we nearly have a rainbow of them! Maybe they could do a Concavenator in red to complete it eh? But after that they need to stop with carcharodontosaurs for a while lol. Not much left worth doing tbh.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

thomasw100

Quote from: John on May 31, 2024, 08:35:10 AM*edit*
On the subject of this new Tyrannotitan not being "lipped":
It would seem that the mold for this had been done before the shift to the "lipped" look had been made for their theropods but is only now being released according to Paleofiguras.

Is this actually confirmed from insider sources or just speculation?

Leyster

Quote from: Concavenator on May 30, 2024, 06:16:22 PMMeraxes and Acrocanthosaurus for me, in that order (still have to grab both). Which also happen to be the two carcharodontosaurids with the best fossil remains out of the ones they've produced so far (excluding the mini Concavenator).

The Meraxes is essentially perfect, my only quirk is the lack of lips, which while not a deal breaker for me, is still something I'd rather avoid if possible. It's also actually colorful, a rarity among PNSO figures. The Acrocanthosaurus is also really good, but I'm placing it beneath the Meraxes, because as avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres proved, it has a bit of an oversized head, and DinosDragons pointed out how its left arm is more forward-pointing than it could. So based on those two slight inaccuracies it goes behind the Meraxes in my book. Anyways, still a really nice model, and the colors are lovely too.

The others are nice models (liplessness aside), but I'm not interested in them. As far as Giganotosaurini are concerned, I have enough with Meraxes, the rest I can easily skip as they aren't adding any further value to my collection from a phylogenetic/morphological perspective. And Acrocanthosaurus is morphologically distinctive enough to be worth getting in my opinion.

That said, if somebody manages to release equally good or better versions of Acrocanthosaurus and Meraxes (in the latter's case, just lipped) before I get the PNSO versions then I will forget about said PNSO versions.
I hate to contraddict you, but both these statements are wrong.

1) Meraxes' pedal II-3, ie. does not refect the true shape of Meraxes' claw, which has  sharp ventral edge instead of being rounded as in the others. Basically the PNSO model has a traditional theropod claw, but bigger, while Meraxes has not simply a "big claw".

And for Acrocanthosaurus, the arm can go even further than the model shows. I can't actually find a way to link figures from Senter & Robins (2006), but this appears to be redrawn from that paper.

And for the head, since the head is 129 cm against a 120 cm femur while the model's head is 4 cm and some mm against a 4 cm femur, I'd say proportions are right.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: