News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO - New for 2024

Started by Renecito, January 15, 2024, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thomasw100

More in hand pictures of the Baryonyx as per Paleofiguras:

Faelrin

I hope someone can get a clear comparison of this and the Saurophaganax. It looks like the backside might be more green in brighter or sunlit lighting? But in pics with poor lighting it almost appears the same bronze color.

Not a big deal, but just wondering if it really is as similar as it seems. Hopefully someone who gets and owns both figures can chime up.

Could be a long ways before I get to it, but it might dethrone the short lived Safari one I had (though I do still like it, despite its inperfections).
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

SenSx

Thanks for the pics again.
I wasn't sure at first as I was satisfied with the Safari, but I think this is a must buy.
Still really enjoy the Safari figure.

Turkeysaurus

What do you think about it's claws since we have a photo next to Suchomimus?

Manospundylus gigas

I dont know theres is something strange with this Baryonyx, not just the similar pose to that of their Saurophaganax but the body itself is toooo similar to Sauro. Baryonyx has straight dorsal ribs with little bowing, like most megalosauroids (unlike Spino), hence its torso is flat, like PNSO Megalosaurus or Suchomimus (no way a Bary would be more robust than a Sucho). But here it has a broad torso, specially in the thoracic region and this morphology is exclusive of tyrannosaurids and only Allosaurus outside tyrannosauroidea (some abelisaurids have broad torsos too but those are different, short-rounded).
Is very suspicious that the body shape is not only so similar but has a morphology that Saurophaganax/Allosaurus would have but would never been on Baryonyx or any megalosauroid, with very different body shape, thats anatomically very incorrect and I can't get the idea out of my head that they have reused Sauros sculpt.

Sim

I think the torso of the Baryonyx is within realistic form, comparing it to the full Baryonyx skeleton reconstruction and to photos of its dorsal ribs here: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Dorsal-ribs-ML1190-of-Baryonyx-walkeri-Charig-Milner-1986-in-proximal-A-anterior_fig7_285762094

As for being more robust than Suchomimus, it only appears to be at the tail base, which a member noted was due to more realistic muscle being included compared to the PNSO Suchomimus and Saurophaganax, proving PNSO didn't just use recylce the Saurophaganax's sculpt.

Flaffy

The Suchomimus has a far stronger colour scheme than the Baryonyx imo.

Turkeysaurus

Sim

Well, after so many large theropods it makes sense PNSO would run out of poses :P  I have no problem with the Baryonyx looking like the Saurophaganax.  The PNSO Baryonyx, Suchomimus and 2023 Spinosaurus look so good together, I keep looking at the photo with all three and feeling joy!

Baryonyx

hmm interesting to see the tail base is finally appropriately thick on a Pnso theropod

Quiversaurus

I really like that the Baryonyx has a greenish hue on its back that seems to only show under brighter lighting conditions. It looks really good with their Suchomimus!

Also, I haven't watched this yet but perhaps it may help to see it in video form:

CarnotaurusKing

Though it hasn't been officially named, this critter seems to be known from decent remains. Wouldn't mind if PNSO took a crack at it. Ironically enough, probably a better choice than the formally named critters from Shanxi Province that PNSO's been showing off recently.

Shane

Quote from: Sim on July 18, 2024, 10:57:52 PMWell, after so many large theropods it makes sense PNSO would run out of poses :P  I have no problem with the Baryonyx looking like the Saurophaganax.  The PNSO Baryonyx, Suchomimus and 2023 Spinosaurus look so good together, I keep looking at the photo with all three and feeling joy!

There really only are so many realistic poses out there for these kinds of animals. I doubt people would rather see them go into Papo territory (just look at their Baryonyx for example).

Baryonyx

It's also a phenomenally realistic and subtle pose, the way the anatomy of the raised leg is captured. PNSO does poses like no one else and this factor is usually completely overlooked.
For example,  no one seems to comment on almost every Haolonggood model being in a generic walking pose, they look a bit like the Toyway WWD series to me.

Flaffy

Faelrin

Speaking of D @Dino Scream3232 he generously sent me these pics of the Baryonyx and Saurophaganax together on instagram, and gave me permission to share them with you guys here. I have a much better idea of what's going with the coloration between those two, side by side. It looks like the backside on the Baryonyx is a bit more greener, and the orange is more vibrant, almost like the color of some grapefruit (exterior) I guess. Also folks were not kidding about the pose on these two being reversed, lol. It doesn't bother me, but if anything I do find it a little amusing though. I've yet to watch his video, but I plan to do that soon here.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

The Saurophaganax's raised foot is raised more than the Baryonyx's.

Manospundylus gigas

Very usefull and interesting photos/videos, for me its like they took Saurophaganax body, removed the head and neck with that of Baryonyx, and modified the arms and base of the tail. If people got angry with hadrosaur cranial anatomy or ankylosaur dermal armour number and position (and they are right by doing so, many of us look for accuracy) I can get angry looking at an avetheropod rig cage in a megalosauroid, is as inaccurate as the crest of Haolonggood Maiasaura. In the video Quiversaurus posted at 4:16 it is very clear, Bary should have a body like that of Sinoplio and Sucho, flatter. 

Shane

Quote from: Sim on July 19, 2024, 11:20:16 PMThe Saurophaganax's raised foot is raised more than the Baryonyx's.

It also appears that the Baryonyx's raised foot is in front of the alternate foot, while the Saurophaganax's raised foot is slightly behind.

SidB

Terrific Baryonyx, for sure, but I'm very content with Safari's one, backed up by my Favorite Co. Baryonyx.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: