News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd - New for 2024

Started by Halichoeres, February 01, 2024, 10:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Working on my 1:1 Gallimimus now, I'm sadly turning up not much in my collection for references.  So far  I have the Battat and a couple CollectA ornithomimids.

Faelrin

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon The Kaiyodo Ornithomimus is a fantastic ornithomimid. It sizes nicely with many of the 1:35-30 figures out there too.

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Primeval12

Quote from: Faelrin on August 18, 2024, 03:50:05 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon The Kaiyodo Ornithomimus is a fantastic ornithomimid. It sizes nicely with many of the 1:35-30 figures out there too.

I second this opinion!

Torvosaurus

Quote from: Primeval12 on August 18, 2024, 04:22:23 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on August 18, 2024, 03:50:05 AMavatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon The Kaiyodo Ornithomimus is a fantastic ornithomimid. It sizes nicely with many of the 1:35-30 figures out there too.

I second this opinion!

And I third it! That is easily one of the best Ornithomimus figures I've seen.

Torvo

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'll definitely look into getting one. I need it for width views to scale up for the hips , ribs and shoulders.

Fembrogon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 18, 2024, 07:05:53 AMI'll definitely look into getting one. I need it for width views to scale up for the hips , ribs and shoulders.
It's actually one of the easiest Kaiyodo dinosaurs to acquire currently, since BigBadToyStore still has the "Strongest Dino Hunters" figure set in stock (albeit blind-bagged):
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/220643?o=4

I too would like to see more ornithomimosaurs on the market, though. I'm surprised more companies haven't tried doing Gallimimus at least once in the past.

Sim

Since Safari retired their Deinocheirus, I think there's a 0% chance they will make any ornithomimid except for Gallimimus.

suspsy

I'm not convinced that the Deinocheirus' retirement means no future ornithomimids. It was a relatively small toy and if we're being honest, a pretty bland one in terms of coloration. I think that an Ornithomimus or a Struthiomimus done at the same size of the Utahraptor and the Austroraptor, and done with vivid coloration would be a good seller.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Dilopho

All this makes me think is "Safari doing a better Deinocheirus is now on the table"

Doug Watson

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 18, 2024, 03:02:42 AMWorking on my 1:1 Gallimimus now, I'm sadly turning up not much in my collection for references.  So far  I have the Battat and a couple CollectA ornithomimids.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon  Off topic but check your e-mail I just sent you something on Gallimimus

Concavenator

Quote from: Sim on August 18, 2024, 03:23:05 PMSince Safari retired their Deinocheirus, I think there's a 0% chance they will make any ornithomimid except for Gallimimus.

This exactly. But I don't know about you folks, I'd rather have a Gallimimus and no other ornithomimid than no ornithomimid altogether, since as avatar_Sim @Sim said, I also think those two are the most realistic scenarios. So I feel like Gallimimus is the ornithomimid we should preferably push for, since given its fame and large size, it's surely the most likely to be the next one to receive a good figure. And since it's so overdue, reasons are not needed at this point; it would make for a fantastic release coming from Safari, or really, anybody else who gets to do the animal justice (No Schleich, thank you).

Other two dinosaurs that are also incredibly overdue are Herrerasaurus and Plateosaurus.

Sim

I can't remember where it was said or who said it, but a figure company's staff once said that if a figure doesn't do well the company that made it will take away that the species isn't a good seller for them, not that the figure itself isn't good.  Following that, Safari retiring their Deinocheirus probably won't lead to them making another, especially when there is strong competition from PNSO and CollectA for that species.  The only ornithomimid which might not sell worse than Deinocheirus is Gallimimus.  I don't believe other ornithomimosaurs currently have a chance of being made by Safari.  So I agree with avatar_Concavenator @Concavenator that Gallimimus is what we should request.  The idea that large and colourful non-Gallimimus ornithomimids could be made by Safari and would sell well seems to be incompatible with some observations: 1. Safari doesn't make large figures of relatively small prehistoric animals if they're not popular.  2. Already Safari's Citipati and Anzu, which were colourful feathered dinosaurs with comparable popularity to non-Gallimimus ornithomimids, were retired.  3. Deinocheirus is very popular, definitely more popular than any non-Gallimimus ornithomimosaur, yet was retired.  4. Non-Gallimimus ornithomimids aren't very popular.  Safari making more than one is so unrealistic when you consider that and also that Safari retired most of their ceratopsids and not making any more (a group much more popular than ornithomimids).

S @Shane told me on the Animal Toy Forum that the Carnegie Plateosaurus was retired prior to the line's end, so now I'm concerned Safari doesn't want to make a Plateosaurus because of that. :-\  Even if a new Plateosaurus would probably sell better than the Carnegie version when it rectifies the things that make the Carnegie version underwhelming such as how the Carnegie lacks Plateosaurus's large hand claws.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 20, 2024, 04:04:00 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on August 18, 2024, 03:02:42 AMWorking on my 1:1 Gallimimus now, I'm sadly turning up not much in my collection for references.  So far  I have the Battat and a couple CollectA ornithomimids.

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon  Off topic but check your e-mail I just sent you something on Gallimimus

thank you!!

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on August 20, 2024, 07:54:36 PMShane told me on the Animal Toy Forum that the Carnegie Plateosaurus was retired prior to the line's end, so now I'm concerned Safari doesn't want to make a Plateosaurus because of that. :-\  Even if a new Plateosaurus would probably sell better than the Carnegie version when it rectifies the things that make the Carnegie version underwhelming such as how the Carnegie lacks Plateosaurus's large hand claws.

It was nevertheless in production for more than a decade, which is longer than most recent Safari figures are in production. So I don't know if I'd be pessimistic just based on that fact.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 23, 2024, 03:09:35 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 20, 2024, 07:54:36 PMShane told me on the Animal Toy Forum that the Carnegie Plateosaurus was retired prior to the line's end, so now I'm concerned Safari doesn't want to make a Plateosaurus because of that. :-\  Even if a new Plateosaurus would probably sell better than the Carnegie version when it rectifies the things that make the Carnegie version underwhelming such as how the Carnegie lacks Plateosaurus's large hand claws.

It was nevertheless in production for more than a decade, which is longer than most recent Safari figures are in production. So I don't know if I'd be pessimistic just based on that fact.

In addition, Safari have released figures of arguably more obscure genera than Plateosaurus in the most recent years, like Estemmenosuchus or Shringasaurus. So hopefully a Plateosaurus is coming at some point as well. Just as the previously mentioned Gallimimus and Herrerasaurus, it would be a massively appreciated release.

Shane

Carnoking

Quote from: Shane on August 23, 2024, 05:13:06 PMTherizinosaurus is now in stock at Safari's website: https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/therizinosaurus

Huzzah!

Although now I feel I have to wait for some of these new reveals to order with it  ;D

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 23, 2024, 03:09:35 PM

Yeah I wouldn't read too much into that, Safari has remade plenty of Carneige figures that were retired prematurely, like Styracosaurus (retired 2007), Psittacosaurus (retired 2004), and Pachycephalosaurus (retired 2002). Carnegie Dilophosaurus was actually retired at the same time as Plateosaurus.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

SpartanSquat

I notice safari update the layout and ui of the website!

SidB

Quote from: Carnoking on August 23, 2024, 06:51:24 PM
Quote from: Shane on August 23, 2024, 05:13:06 PMTherizinosaurus is now in stock at Safari's website: https://www.safariltd.com/collections/new-releases/products/therizinosaurus

Huzzah!

Although now I feel I have to wait for some of these new reveals to order with it  ;D
Mine finally arrived from Dan's, having been on order since last November. Very pleased with the figure - Safari's usual great value for the money.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: