You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Douglassarachne, the spiny arachnid of Mazon Creek

Started by Halichoeres, June 10, 2024, 10:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

From the same Carboniferous locality that gave us the Tully Monster, a spiny-legged arachnid, maybe suggesting some fairly mean predators. Its exact relationships aren't known, but it's probably not a true spider. Still, a very cool addition to the Mazon fauna.

Fossil and interpretive diagram:

Open access in Journal of Paleontology: https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/journal-of-paleontology/article/remarkable-spiny-arachnid-from-the-pennsylvanian-mazon-creek-lagerstatte-illinois/0E1B32BAFCAEA067018EF9BF349F8B81
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Totoro

This is so very cool.  I grew up near the Braidwood, Illinois region of the Mazon Creek Lagerstatte and visited it once with a botany class where I was lucky enough to find a nodule with a nice fern leaf inside.  It's still a treasured possession that evokes fond memories.  ^-^  I'd love to return to it one day, but not sure what it would take to get permission to collect there.   
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

Bowhead Whale

Very weird creature indeed. It looks a lot more like a giand acarid than a real spider. I have, in my life, never seen a spider with a segmented abdomen. Do you think this fossilized animal was a true arachnid? It does have the right number of legs, of course, but its segmented body makes me wonder...

Ludodactylus

Quote from: Bowhead Whale on June 13, 2024, 09:55:44 PMVery weird creature indeed. It looks a lot more like a giand acarid than a real spider. I have, in my life, never seen a spider with a segmented abdomen. Do you think this fossilized animal was a true arachnid? It does have the right number of legs, of course, but its segmented body makes me wonder...

My first thought was that it looks like a thick-legged member of the opiliones, aka harvestmen/"daddy longlegs."
"The most popular exhibits in any natural history museum are, without doubt, the dinosaurs. These creatures' popularity grows each year, partly because of the recent resurgence of dinosaur movies, but also because a skeleton of a full-sized Tyrannosaurus rex still has the ability, even 65 million years after its death, to chill us to the bone." - Ray Harryhausen

Bowhead Whale

Quote from: Ludodactylus on June 13, 2024, 10:06:19 PM
Quote from: Bowhead Whale on June 13, 2024, 09:55:44 PMVery weird creature indeed. It looks a lot more like a giand acarid than a real spider. I have, in my life, never seen a spider with a segmented abdomen. Do you think this fossilized animal was a true arachnid? It does have the right number of legs, of course, but its segmented body makes me wonder...

My first thought was that it looks like a thick-legged member of the opiliones, aka harvestmen/"daddy longlegs."

That is indeed possible. Do we have any other example of thick-legged opiliones animals in fossils or in modern times? Asking by sheer curiosity.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Totoro on June 11, 2024, 03:14:08 PMThis is so very cool.  I grew up near the Braidwood, Illinois region of the Mazon Creek Lagerstatte and visited it once with a botany class where I was lucky enough to find a nodule with a nice fern leaf inside.  It's still a treasured possession that evokes fond memories.  ^-^  I'd love to return to it one day, but not sure what it would take to get permission to collect there.   

I went with some friends last year and the permit was pretty simple, fill out online and print it out. Didn't find much but it was fun anyway!

Yeah, it's definitely not a true spider, but it's more closely related to them than to harvestmen or mites. It just has this primitive segmentation, like spiders' other relatives, the amblypygids and vinegaroons.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Cenozoic Fauna

avatar_Bowhead Whale @Bowhead Whale regarding opiliones, there is a modern genus called Trogulus comprised of a number of species which have larger limbs than other opiliones.

Also very fascinating fossil species

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.