News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Where are the Triassic action figures?

Started by crazy8wizard, September 12, 2024, 10:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy8wizard

I've been noticing lately that we are currently in the middle of a dinosaur action figure renaissance. With Creative Beast exploding with new genera including some potential proboscideans, the Hammond collection delivering articulated creatures from the Jurassic Park franchise (and some surprises), and independent artists such as Jurassic Justin hand producing figures, we really are seeing quite a lot of figures with more points of articulation. Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea, but I love it, although this sheer diversity has me noticing an odd pattern that I hope to be resolved soon.
These companies making highly articulated action figures (including the long since discontinued Carnage Resaurus line) have dozens of cretaceous figures (as to be expected), a healthy array of Jurassic figures, and even a few Permian and Cenozoic animals. If you're like me you will have noticed the distinct gap in there.

Where are all the Triassic action figures?

Now, there are a few figures with articulation in them that represent Triassic fauna. Happy Kin/Xidi made a few Triassic figures including a unique genus in the form of Riojasaurus. Mattel has been releasing several excellent Triassic figures recently, but none of them nor the Happy Kin figures have more than 6 or 7 points of articulation, paling in comparison to even the smallest hammond collection figures which have at least twice that. I don't think they would sell poorly. Even with the overall smaller scale of animals in the Triassic, both HC and BOTM have figures of very small or obscure genera that sell fine. Hammond Collection even has a great excuse to make one, as Herrerasaurus are part of the original lineup of Jurassic Park dinosaurs and featured in the Telltale Game.
What do you think? What other sort of Triassic animals would make for good action figures?

Faelrin

Honestly I'm kind of satisfied with the Mattel selection even if they aren't highly articulated. Most of them are pretty decent too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Faelrin on September 13, 2024, 01:15:13 AMHonestly I'm kind of satisfied with the Mattel selection even if they aren't highly articulated. Most of them are pretty decent too.

Oh for sure. I've set a personal goal to collect every single mattel Triassic figure (except for one). I just think it would be fun to have a Triassic animal with a wide array of pose options.

Primeval12

He wants you to buy himmmmm :P avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard

SBell

Quote from: Primeval12 on September 13, 2024, 02:59:51 AMHe wants you to buy himmmmm :P avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard

That's the only one I've felt no need to purchase.

Can't wait for the Rauisuchus though

GojiraGuy1954

BoTC better have a Plateosaurus at some point
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

crazy8wizard

Quote from: GojiraGuy1954 on September 13, 2024, 04:13:20 AMBoTC better have a Plateosaurus at some point

Plateosaurus would be at the top of the list of genera I would expect, followed closely by Postosuchus, Coelophysis, and Herrerasaurus

Pliosaurking

While they aren't super articulated these 2 are great! So is the Nothosaurus!

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Primeval12 on September 13, 2024, 02:59:51 AMHe wants you to buy himmmmm :P avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard

The foul fish monster. It looks like it tried to swallow a bowling ball.

Halichoeres

I think the Paleozoic gets it worse than the Triassic, but yeah, for the most part all you see is Cretaceous and a dash of Jurassic. What I've started doing is using a Sharpie to draw Groucho Marx mustaches on every Cretaceous JW figure at the store in the hopes of increasing sales of Triassic figures (the only intact figures on the shelf).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

SBell

Quote from: Pliosaurking on September 13, 2024, 05:14:27 AMWhile they aren't super articulated these 2 are great! So is the Nothosaurus!

One of my favorites is the Tanystropheus. It's not great but very charming.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 14, 2024, 12:05:12 AMI think the Paleozoic gets it worse than the Triassic, but yeah, for the most part all you see is Cretaceous and a dash of Jurassic. What I've started doing is using a Sharpie to draw Groucho Marx mustaches on every Cretaceous JW figure at the store in the hopes of increasing sales of Triassic figures (the only intact figures on the shelf).

Not even. The Paleozoic even has a few highly articulated figures. It may be mostly Permian animals but there's a couple more paleozoic action figures than Triassic.

Primeval12

Well... now I can add the Rauisuchus to my collection ! :D

SBell

Quote from: Primeval12 on September 14, 2024, 03:04:39 AMWell... now I can add the Rauisuchus to my collection ! :D

Have you seen it in store? It's listed on Walmart Canada but out of stock (which usually means about 6 weeks away)

Faelrin

avatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard I only know of a few action figures out there of Paleozoic animals (or figures with multiple joints of articulation). Kenner/Hasbro, Mattel JW, F-Toys Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia, and some Takara Tomy. What others are out there?

Edit: Genera I'm aware of include:

-Anomalocaris
-Estemmenosuchus
-Dimetrodon
-Dunkleosteus
-Edaphosaurus
-Hallucigenia
-Lycanops
-Lystrosaurus (could count as both Permian and Triassic)
-Scutosaurus

and unnamed eurypterid and trilobite (Olenoides?) from Takara Tomy ARTS

Edit 2: Triassic from Mattel JW alone:

-Eoraptor
-Herrerasaurus
-Lystrosaurus
-Nothosaurus
-Poposaurus
-Postosuchus
-Prestosuchus
-Rauisuchus
-Shringasaurus
-Tanystropheus

I have all of these but the Prestosuchus and recently released Rauisuchus.

SBell

Quote from: Faelrin on September 14, 2024, 07:26:55 AMavatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard I only know of a few action figures out there of Paleozoic animals (or figures with multiple joints of articulation). Kenner/Hasbro, Mattel JW, F-Toys Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia, and some Takara Tomy. What others are out there?

-Anomalocaris
-Estemmenosuchus
-Dimetrodon
-Dunkleosteus
-Edaphosaurus
-Hallucigenia
-Lycanops
-Scutosaurus

-Eoraptor
-Herrerasaurus
-Lystrosaurus
-Nothosaurus
-Poposaurus
-Postosuchus
-Prestosuchus
-Rauisuchus
-Shringasaurus
-Tanystropheus

There was also a DinoRiders Placerias. And Dimetrodon of course. And a Moschops from the Definitely Dinosaurs line.

Faelrin

avatar_SBell @SBell Yeah I had something come in my mind about Moschops last night but couldn't remember what it was. Thanks for reminding me about these.

crazy8wizard

Quote from: Faelrin on September 14, 2024, 07:26:55 AMavatar_crazy8wizard @crazy8wizard I only know of a few action figures out there of Paleozoic animals (or figures with multiple joints of articulation). Kenner/Hasbro, Mattel JW, F-Toys Anomalocaris and Hallucigenia, and some Takara Tomy. What others are out there?

-Anomalocaris
-Estemmenosuchus
-Dimetrodon
-Dunkleosteus
-Edaphosaurus
-Hallucigenia
-Lycanops
-Scutosaurus

-Eoraptor
-Herrerasaurus
-Lystrosaurus
-Nothosaurus
-Poposaurus
-Postosuchus
-Prestosuchus
-Rauisuchus
-Shringasaurus
-Tanystropheus

As I alluded to in the post, this is about figures with a higher number of articulation points, not the standard 6-7 points. Action figures just rolled off the tongue better for the title than "super articulated figures" or something of the like.
There are 2 Dimetrodon from Jurassic Justin, one from Mattel's Hammond collection, and the yet to be released Hammond Collection Scutosaurus

SBell

Quote from: crazy8wizard on September 14, 2024, 05:23:42 PM

-Anomalocaris
-Estemmenosuchus
-Dimetrodon
-Dunkleosteus
-Edaphosaurus
-Hallucigenia
-Lycanops
-Scutosaurus

-Eoraptor
-Herrerasaurus
-Lystrosaurus
-Nothosaurus
-Poposaurus
-Postosuchus
-Prestosuchus
-Rauisuchus
-Shringasaurus
-Tanystropheus

As I alluded to in the post, this is about figures with a higher number of articulation points, not the standard 6-7 points. Action figures just rolled off the tongue better for the title than "super articulated figures" or something of the like.
There are 2 Dimetrodon from Jurassic Justin, one from Mattel's Hammond collection, and the yet to be released Hammond Collection Scutosaurus

In that case... that's probably all you'll ever see. Given the extra work and production costs (and retail pricing), and the limited market appeal, at best you'll see small - batch makers or customs. CB took this long to produce a few mammals (the marquee ones of course) and their familiarity and popularity far surpasses any Permian or Triassic critters.

Maybe the Hammond collection will bring out one more someday, but I wouldn't expect much else.

crazy8wizard

That was the point of this thread all along

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: