News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Requests for Papo 2014: Step 3 (APATOSAURUS)

Started by anchry6, January 31, 2013, 11:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anchry6

Now, we are at the final stages.
In this topic you can write as you would like to be done the Papo APATOSAURUS.
You can use: scientific descriptions, drawings, sculptures, pictures taken on the internet (legal please) and so on. You can also criticize and improve a choice with an other...
However, the Papo will decide freely how use this material that we will provide at them.
I'm also looking for a paleontologist (possibly) or more paleontologists than write two or three pages maximum (with pictures) to give some advice on how to make a precise APATOSAURUS and on mistakes to avoid.
Thank you all for your interest in this project...
I hope it will be successful!
GOOD DISCUSSION.

:D

ajax

I just said this about the next Carnegie Apatosaurus but that's just a rumor at this stage so if Papo make one  I would like it to look like the latest Wild Safari one only bigger (not exactly the same, it would be Papolicious) I would like them to use the same sort of skin wrinkles and details, even the same colour, that way I can use the Wild Safari one as a juvenile.
I think the tail on the Wild Safari one was a little strange so just fix that up a bit and Presto... another awesome Papo figure.  ;D

tyrantqueen

I'm sure this is the model on everyone's mind:

But I also like these:

By forum member Himmapaan.

I'll probably get a lot of hate for this, but I also like the detailing on the old Horizon Apatosaurus. Obviously, it would be imperative for Papo to update the accuracy.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Eh, just let them copy the Sideshow Apato..maybe turn the head so it's looking ahead, mouth open. The tail would need to be a softer rubber to avoid breaks.

Takama

Im all for The Sideshow model,   Just reproduce it at a smaler size, and follow Blades instructions

tanystropheus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2013, 12:32:22 AM
Eh, just let them copy the Sideshow Apato..maybe turn the head so it's looking ahead, mouth open. The tail would need to be a softer rubber to avoid breaks.

Agreed. A Sideshow-like Apato with a somewhat different pose would be perfect. Even the colors are right for a Papo model.

I also like Himmapaan's illustration (I hope he doesn't mind if Papo is 'inspired' by his works)

ChrisLikesDinos

Inspired by Sideshow would be ideal,its lifelike and humble looking. If they want more than size to grab attention I hope they don't go over the top.

Anyways, some inspiration.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I do like the colors and spikes on Marshall's design there .. :)

Splonkadumpocus

I'd like one based on the Sideshow model, and at 1:40 scale.

ChrisLikesDinos

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on February 01, 2013, 04:50:39 PM
I do like the colors and spikes on Marshall's design there .. :)

Yup, my ideal look for it would be a middle-ground between Marshall's design and the Sideshow piece.. I imagine that would look beautiful and stunning if done well.

Spino-rex13

ZoPteryx

I'm not gonna go allout with a description on this one, just copy the Sideshow one but make some tweaks to the pose and give it different colors and some spikes on the back. 8)

anchry6

Please ... you have to be more anatomically precise ...  C:-)
We cannot say at Papo: "copy this model ..."  :-X
I think that Papo is very upset and he wouldn't listen us.  >:(
We describe what we would like to have a scientifically accurate dinosaur and then we can put photos of the statue to understand how we would like it, but leaving the flexibility at Papo to decide on the sculpture. ::)

suspsy

I am disappointed that Therizinosaurus did not win.

That said, I'd totally buy a Papo Apatosaurus and thereby complete the almighty quartet with T. Rex, Triceratops, and Stegosaurus.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: anchry6 on February 02, 2013, 09:12:09 AM
We describe what we would like to have a scientifically accurate dinosaur and then we can put photos of the statue to understand how we would like it, but leaving the flexibility at Papo to decide on the sculpture. ::)

That model is about as precise as you can get...lol
I don't think Papo would mind at all, just the suggestion that we would like a figure of Apatosaurus like this. Maybe add some spines and a different pose.  Not too hard actually.  :)

ChrisLikesDinos

Quote from: anchry6 on February 02, 2013, 09:12:09 AM

Ok..

I would like to see the animal fully elongated, its tail elevated and not dragging and its head turned out to the side to suggest its mobility. The tail should curve a bit towards the end to save space and to make a more fluid and lifelike sculpture.

The Carnegie Museum picture posted above would be an ideal reference point.

suspsy

I like this pose as well. Crouching down to sip water, or swallow some gastroliths.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

MY notes are simple.

Keep the tail elevated from the ground, and mybe curl it upwards like this

to save space,   The sideshow model, and the Shane sculpture above will make good refrence points.

The scales must be small, not big tiles like on this model

Spines sticking out is optional,  but be careful not to make the creture appear shinkwraped (a skelaton wraped in Flesh)

ZoPteryx

Important things to remember when making an Apatosaurus. :)

-  It's Apatosaurus, not "Brontosaurus"!!! ;)
-  The nostrils should be placed near the end of the snout, not between the eyes.
-  The teeth are peg-like and restricted to the front of the jaws.
-  The neck, legs, and body are very robust.
-  The neck was not particularly flexible and could not be put in an S-shaped "swan posture".
-  The front feet have only a single large "thumb claw".  The hind feet have only three claws.
-  The large vertebral spines would have formed a thick ridge, not a thin sail.
-  The tail is very long and whip-like.
-  Most of the scales should be small, interspaced with slighlty larger scales.
-  It was very long, at least 22 m (72 feet), which would be about 20 inches long in 1:40 scale (most of which is tail and neck).
-  The body is not particularly long.
-  Add lots of details like spines and a dewlap.
-  Coloration should be simple, with perhaps something a little more vibrant on the neck and tail.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Zopteryx on February 03, 2013, 10:31:03 PM
Important things to remember when making an Apatosaurus. :)

-  It's Apatosaurus, not "Brontosaurus"!!! ;)
-  The nostrils should be placed near the end of the snout, not between the eyes.
-  The teeth are peg-like and restricted to the front of the jaws.
-  The neck, legs, and body are very robust.
-  The neck was not particularly flexible and could not be put in an S-shaped "swan posture".

-  The front feet have only a single large "thumb claw".  The hind feet have only three claws.
-  The large vertebral spines would have formed a thick ridge, not a thin sail.
-  The tail is very long and whip-like.
-  Most of the scales should be small, interspaced with slighlty larger scales.
-  It was very long, at least 22 m (72 feet), which would be about 20 inches long in 1:40 scale (most of which is tail and neck).
-  The body is not particularly long.
-  Add lots of details like spines and a dewlap.
-  Coloration should be simple, with perhaps something a little more vibrant on the neck and tail.

This is very important since an S-shaped 'swan posture' could negatively impact the credibility and overall image of the model.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: