News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Keith Strasser Planet Earth Sculpture

Started by Blade-of-the-Moon, March 07, 2013, 03:40:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triceratops83

I've been going crazy waiting for that. Looks like it's finished, any word on when it will be available?
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 04, 2015, 07:33:29 AM
I've been going crazy waiting for that. Looks like it's finished, any word on when it will be available?

Same here..my collection is sadly deviod of large hadrosaurs. If only I could find his Anatotitan again!

Shane said soon..I would imagine by Wonderfest or just before?

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 04, 2015, 07:34:28 AM

Same here..my collection is sadly deviod of large hadrosaurs. If only I could find his Anatotitan again!

I hope he does a new Edmontosaurus soon, I'm teased with that Anatotitan every time I go to Dan's Dinosaurs. Hadrosaurs are the best for dioramas, you can imagine walking up to a real one and photographing it, unlike many other more dangerous dinosaurs.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 04, 2015, 07:51:11 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 04, 2015, 07:34:28 AM

I hope he does a new Edmontosaurus soon, I'm teased with that Anatotitan every time I go to Dan's Dinosaurs. Hadrosaurs are the best for dioramas, you can imagine walking up to a real one and photographing it, unlike many other more dangerous dinosaurs.

It's still on Dan's page but it's out of stock. I ordered one year before last and the mold was ruined after my kit was made. I had it sent to an artist friend I had made and after a lot of crap they basically stole it from me.  REALLY wanted that kit. I figure I'll make a life size one at some point, maybe after the stegosaurus. The shape of the bill really confuses me, Edmontosaurus looks bulkier and thicker whereas Anatosaurus/Anatotitan look more broad and flat..but I've heard they are all  the same animal. Might be easier just doing a Maiasaura..if you can find a good reference figure for it even.. oi

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 04, 2015, 08:28:03 AM
It's still on Dan's page but it's out of stock. I ordered one year before last and the mold was ruined after my kit was made. I had it sent to an artist friend I had made and after a lot of crap they basically stole it from me.  REALLY wanted that kit. I figure I'll make a life size one at some point, maybe after the stegosaurus. The shape of the bill really confuses me, Edmontosaurus looks bulkier and thicker whereas Anatosaurus/Anatotitan look more broad and flat..but I've heard they are all  the same animal. Might be easier just doing a Maiasaura..if you can find a good reference figure for it even.. oi
I remember reading about your misfortune - must be super frustrating. I think the E. regalis skull isn't as "ducky" as the E. annectens. Use these as reference, they were always among my favourite mounts.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 05, 2015, 04:39:45 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 04, 2015, 08:28:03 AM
I remember reading about your misfortune - must be super frustrating. I think the E. regalis skull isn't as "ducky" as the E. annectens. Use these as reference, they were always among my favourite mounts.

Yeah Shane's been really sympathetic to my trust of new artists...I've been burned quite a bit attempting to help others.

I like that mount myself.  Would nice to do one standing more upright and another on all fours.  Reminds me of one of my favorite stop motion pieces, the hadrosaurs from this documentary : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYe3r-wH_1s

I actually like the more "ducky" look too..the best reason why we called them "duckbills" as kids.  ^-^

I would like for someone to release a good fleshed out figure, something I could carry around and work from, good quality, rubber so not fragile, about 1:40 scale..really helps to be able to see things in three dimensions.

triceratops83

Odd that there are so few figures of Edmontosaurus annectens, the quintessential duckbill. As Trachodon, it seemed to turn up more often in retro sets.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 05, 2015, 06:38:47 AM
Odd that there are so few figures of Edmontosaurus annectens, the quintessential duckbill. As Trachodon, it seemed to turn up more often in retro sets.

True. I love the sitting version in the old Marx sets. Just sitting around waving.. lol

I think it's just overlooked for more crested species which are more eye catching. That's my story always liking the under dog..  ;)

Paleogene Pals

I need more hadrosaurs too. I had Keith's Lambeosaurus but sold that. I really wanted Shane's Anatotitan ever since I set eyes on it. If I had known about Martin earlier, I likely would have kept all of my Keith Strasser dinos, durn it!

triceratops83

I think Hadrosaurs are perceived by many to be the "boring" dinosaurs, compared to their fantastic and monstrous neighbours who attract the attention of the "awesomebro" crowd (I love that term). But, if dinosaurs were around today, I suspect Hadrosaurs would be very popular in the same way horses are. They're graceful and good looking animals, probably in life they'd be spectacularly coloured and they more than likely had peaceful dispositions. Dinosaur toys sell many Tyrannosaurs, but horses dominate extant animal figures. I dunno. How about a line of "My Lil' Hadrosaurs"? Anyhoo, yes, the modelling world needs more kits of these beautiful animals.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 06, 2015, 04:32:43 AM
I think Hadrosaurs are perceived by many to be the "boring" dinosaurs, compared to their fantastic and monstrous neighbours who attract the attention of the "awesomebro" crowd (I love that term). But, if dinosaurs were around today, I suspect Hadrosaurs would be very popular in the same way horses are. They're graceful and good looking animals, probably in life they'd be spectacularly coloured and they more than likely had peaceful dispositions. Dinosaur toys sell many Tyrannosaurs, but horses dominate extant animal figures. I dunno. How about a line of "My Lil' Hadrosaurs"? Anyhoo, yes, the modelling world needs more kits of these beautiful animals.

Yeah they are sort of horses/cows..very plentiful in their environment but no less interesting. There are so many cool ones..but most of that is focused on the head and the different ornamentation. I like James Gurney's comparison of the heads of hadrosaurs and musical instruments :

My little Hadrosaurs..I'd buy that..lol Maybe Krentz can do some for his Chubbie line..  ^-^

I just sketched my Edmontosaurus/Anatosaurus Annectens head tonight..I'll post a pic later.

triceratops83

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 06, 2015, 06:03:53 AM
I just sketched my Edmontosaurus/Anatosaurus Annectens head tonight..I'll post a pic later.
I can't wait! Glad you went with annectens.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 06, 2015, 06:06:49 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on January 06, 2015, 06:03:53 AM
I can't wait! Glad you went with annectens.

I really like the longer flatter skull of it..so typical it had to be done. :)

0onarcissisto0

Quote from: triceratops83 on January 04, 2015, 07:33:29 AM

Yup, don't even have a hadrosaur yet in my collection and I'm desperately waiting for that one
If the sculptor has nothing but science his hands will have no art.

- DK -

triceratops83

Quote from: 0onarcissisto0 on January 08, 2015, 05:13:44 AM
Yup, don't even have a hadrosaur yet in my collection and I'm desperately waiting for that one
It looks like it might be THE hadrosaur kit to get.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Heard back from Keith, his Texas project was apparently this beast :

Story here : http://www.timesrecordnews.com/news/local-news/trex_00824284

I did mention several members here were asking about kits so if I hear anything in regards to that I'll pass it along.

Paleogene Pals

So it was Keith behind that sculpture! I was recently talking to a lady from the Seymour museum. I hope Keith does bring his kits back. I would like to get back that Ourano.

triceratops83

Arul

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: ARUL on January 12, 2015, 03:24:20 PM
Huge !

Nothing like standing beside a life size dino , especially a T-Rex to make you feel small... ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: