News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: RolandEden on August 06, 2013, 04:55:07 PM
Beaitfull colour and colours! These are printed with colour or painted by hand?

Boki I believe paints by hand..VERY well I might add. :)

postsaurischian

:D These Hadrosaurs are beautifully painted, Boki. Congrats!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1:40 Cryolophosaurus, painted by Martin Garratt :)

amargasaurus cazaui

That cryo is gorgeous. I just sent Martin a couple 1/72 versions and I am excited to see them now. Love the colors and detail , super nice
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Yutyrannus

I plan to get the 1/40 Standing Cryolophosaurus and the 1/40 Sitting Cryolophosaurus. I think they go together perfectly :)!

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

Gorgonzola

Whoo!  Been awhile since I've popped on here - been super busy.

Bokisaurus: That second para looks fantastic! Really love your flamboyant color schemes, they're so imaginative.

Postsaurichian:  Wow!  :o Martin did a really great job on that (as always).  AFAIK, you're the only one to have a 1/40 scale Cryolophosaurus before I had to make print adjustments to accomodate Shapeway's size minimums.  I need to get around to painting and basing my test print.  And I love the human figure for scale - I was kinda surprised to find out this was a 20 foot something animal but it was super slender compared to some other therapods.

Okay, two updates and unfortunately no pictures today - haven't had a chance to capture any.

1) Working on the Amargasaurus, and he's coming along nicely.  I'm just about done with muscle/form definition so I can hopefully move onto the fun bit of detailing him.  Sauropod anatomy is...weird.  Really weird.  And Amargasaurus is the weird cherry on the ice cream weirdo sundae.  I've been trying to track down some good photographs or drawings of its vertebrae, since my understanding of it is that it's double headed from the head to the hip, at which point it fuses together into a wide paddle surface.  Would love to get some better information on this so I can feel secure in that understanding or adjust as needed.

2) Something really cool happened with the T.rex, and I can't say anything more about it until later, but you'll see him pop up at some point.  I'm really stoked about this.
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Gorgonzola on August 27, 2013, 09:30:12 PM

Bokisaurus: That second para looks fantastic! Really love your flamboyant color schemes, they're so imaginative.

Postsaurichian:  Wow!  :o Martin did a really great job on that (as always).  AFAIK, you're the only one to have a 1/40 scale Cryolophosaurus before I had to make print adjustments to accomodate Shapeway's size minimums.  I need to get around to painting and basing my test print.  And I love the human figure for scale - I was kinda surprised to find out this was a 20 foot something animal but it was super slender compared to some other therapods.

Okay, two updates and unfortunately no pictures today - haven't had a chance to capture any.

1) Working on the Amargasaurus, and he's coming along nicely.  I'm just about done with muscle/form definition so I can hopefully move onto the fun bit of detailing him.  Sauropod anatomy is...weird.  Really weird.  And Amargasaurus is the weird cherry on the ice cream weirdo sundae.  I've been trying to track down some good photographs or drawings of its vertebrae, since my understanding of it is that it's double headed from the head to the hip, at which point it fuses together into a wide paddle surface.  Would love to get some better information on this so I can feel secure in that understanding or adjust as needed.

2) Something really cool happened with the T.rex, and I can't say anything more about it until later, but you'll see him pop up at some point.  I'm really stoked about this.

Thanks ^-^ So excited about the amarga, can't wait!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Best I could do is hunt down some pics for you I think..Scott Hartman may have some references you could use if you message him.

What a tease ! lol Can't wait to see what you have in mind..it was a relay nice Rex I had hoped to pick up. :)

tyrantqueen

This looks like it might be useful for Amargasaurus

I look forward to seeing your future projects :)

wings

1) Working on the Amargasaurus, and he's coming along nicely ... I've been trying to track down some good photographs or drawings of its vertebrae, since my understanding of it is that it's double headed from the head to the hip, at which point it fuses together into a wide paddle surface.  Would love to get some better information on this so I can feel secure in that understanding or adjust as needed.
Perhaps these might help (see below):

*C (from the side) and D (from the front) are selected cervical and dorsal vertebrae. From left to right: atlus-axis, cervicals 6 and 8, and dorsal 1, 8, and 9.

As in regards to the spinal column; the animal has 13 cervicals, 9 dorsals, and probably 5 sacrals and we didn't have much of its tail. In Novas 2009, he said "...the neural spines of the dorsal vertebrae continue the bifurcate condition of the cervicals except for the last two dorsals, in which the unforked spines acquire a paddle-like aspect... In the sacrum, the neural spines are tall, unforked, and paddle-shaped..."

Gorgonzola

YES!  That's exactly what I needed.  Thanks Wings.

It certainly confirms what I thought - I think I may have read that Novas 2009 paper when I was trying to figure this out, because the wording sounds awfully familiar.

Again, like I said, just a weirdo dinosaur if I ever saw one.  I need to adjust my spines it looks like though, it seems I have mine too angled - looks like they were much more vertical.

Gorgonzola

While I wait for news on that other dinosaur, here's Amargasaurus.  Turns out this new workflow method makes the detailing end game of sculpting pretty quick and not a slog - and it forces an emphasis on establishing forms as solidly as I can make it so the detail has something to sit on.  An interesting challenge was figuring out how to make the teeth without them being tiny little pinpoints of fragile material that will just break off.  The solution?  Sculpt it as one solid bit and detail it out to suggest peg-like teeth.

There's a few things here and there I may adjust after I let it sit for a day or so, but I'll probably get to some pose ideas pretty soon.

postsaurischian

:o Oh man it's sooo beautiful :)! Great work so far.
I can't wait until it's finished. I urgently want it!

tyrantqueen

Lovely. The usual 1/40 scale, I presume?
I can see a big improvement in your work comparing this to your earlier stuff :) Especially the skin textures and skin folds/wrinkles. The only thing that I can critique is the muscle tone- I think there is probably a bit too much muscle definition around the forearms and legs. It could just be personal preference, but they do look a bit overly muscular. I understand sauropods were probably muscular creatures but most wild (healthy ones anyway) animals have fat on their bodies :)

May I make a request for a pose? Could we have a rearing back pose?

Blade-of-the-Moon

wings

You probably have misread the previous diagram since the atlus-axis is a single prong element rather than forked. Also the base of the neck is unusually defined (in between the shoulder blades and in front of the chest). You rarely see that in birds or reptiles.

or

Though it would be hard to proof but in nature birds and reptiles tends/seems to have less muscular definition.

*Notice the muscles on the drumsticks of the ostriches don't show much definition.

Another element to watch out for are the position of the palms. They appear to be facing a little too much to the back. (not really seen on sauropod tracks).

Gorgonzola

Quote from: wings on September 10, 2013, 01:05:14 PM
You probably have misread the previous diagram since the atlus-axis is a single prong element rather than forked. Also the base of the neck is unusually defined (in between the shoulder blades and in front of the chest). You rarely see that in birds or reptiles.

*snip for length*

Another element to watch out for are the position of the palms. They appear to be facing a little too much to the back. (not really seen on sauropod tracks).

Aw, crap.  You're right, I definitely misread that.  Looks like I gotta make some big adjustments on that neck then!  For some reason I read that diagram you gave me as not having the atlus-axis to scale with the rest, which is really a bit daft when you think about it.  Shouldn't be hard to do though, I think.

I think I am gonna knock back that area around the neck, and some of the muscle definition - I've found that it helps to overstate it initially since stuff gets lost as you start to detail it out, but there are a few areas here and there that avoided that that could stand to have a bit more love.

It's a bit hard to see in those pics, but the palms are rotated out, about...35 degrees, I think, if 0 is facing forward and 90 is facing to the side.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: Gorgonzola on September 09, 2013, 06:41:16 PM
While I wait for news on that other dinosaur, here's Amargasaurus.  Turns out this new workflow method makes the detailing end game of sculpting pretty quick and not a slog - and it forces an emphasis on establishing forms as solidly as I can make it so the detail has something to sit on.  An interesting challenge was figuring out how to make the teeth without them being tiny little pinpoints of fragile material that will just break off.  The solution?  Sculpt it as one solid bit and detail it out to suggest peg-like teeth.

There's a few things here and there I may adjust after I let it sit for a day or so, but I'll probably get to some pose ideas pretty soon.

OMG! :o It's so beautiful! Amazing work! You know Amarga is my favorite sauropod, yes? ;D I hope its in 1:40 scale, and that perhaps a second pose, like what TQ suggested, will be considered by you. Oh my, I am so excited I can't wait for it to be available! I'm already imagining what the color designs would be ;D ;)

amargasaurus cazaui

What a gorgeous dinosaur !!! I am there if you need test pilots for this little guy for certain.....so at 1/40 would this guy be in scale to the battat ? I am guessing the Carnegie, and Battat are two different scales then?
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

postsaurischian

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 11, 2013, 08:22:39 AM
I am guessing the Carnegie, and Battat are two different scales then?

No, both are in about the same 1:40 scale.

amargasaurus cazaui

They seem almost like adult and juvenile ...how odd.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: