News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Zbrush Dinosaurs and 3D Prints

Started by Gorgonzola, March 11, 2013, 02:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 11, 2013, 08:50:33 AM
They seem almost like adult and juvenile ...how odd.

:)

amargasaurus cazaui

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 11, 2013, 09:14:40 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 11, 2013, 08:50:33 AM
They seem almost like adult and juvenile ...how odd.

:)

That is awesome, they are the same size in height give or take....although the battat still looks more robust and filled out in profile(beefier) than the Carnegie by a good sum. So now all we need is this new sculpt to be in the same scale and instant herd!!!
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gorgonzola

I'll double-check my measurements, but it looks like it should be roughly the same length as the 1/40 Carnotaurus?  It's an incredibly small sauropod, relatively speaking.

Anyone know how long the Battat and Carnegie models are?
IG: @asidesart
Portfolio: asidesart.com
Patreon (Mostly non-dinosaur stuff and illustration): patreon.com/asidesart

Gorgonzola

Some pose ideas with the fixed Atlus-Axis vertebrae...I'm thinking of maybe doing, five, 6 at most, so if there's any preferences or things people would like from a sauropod model, I'd love to hear them.  Ideally would like it to be like the Parasaurolophus, so you could use them to make up a herd diorama pretty easily.

amargasaurus cazaui

Just breathtaking and so detailed !!! I want one of each . My only want or request might be for a  more frantic or ...action style pose in the rearing mode. To explain I am picturing two of these animals contesting for a mate or perhaps some other squabble...and they have reared back.....perhaps bring the neck back in more of an arc....raise the hands higher.
Have you determined what scales you will offer this at?
  Just an idea or request but something I would like to get would be a larger scale "bust" say from the shoulders up ...head and neck with the spines display.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Gorgonzola

1/40 and 1/72, as usual!  For Shapeways purposes, that seems to work the best for me - unfortunately anything larger than 1/40 becomes exorbitant to print at the moment.  I'm actually trying to figure out how the heck I can maybe squeeze some of the larger sauropods into their printing restrictions, because I'd love to try and get a 1/72 brachiosaurus or even a 1/40 brachiosaurus going.

Regarding the rearing pose - Yeah, I see what you mean, and that's not a hard thing to accomplish.  I'll fiddle around with it and see what I can do.  Interesting thing though, and I wonder if someone can verify this for me, is that I'm questioning if this particular sauropod can rear up.  Not necessarily because it's a sauropod, because for sauropods it's only 33 feet in length, but because of the tall neural spines. It's kinda like, if anyone ever saw when Krentz was fooling around with Spinosaurus sculpt and was attempting a sitting pose, the spines on that were long enough that not a whole lot of flexing up would work since it'd be physically impossible.  I'm wondering if this fellow is the same way, since when I was posing him it seemed like the area right after the hips is pretty stiff, with not a lot of up/down flexion in it.

Anyway!  Bust sounds neat, and it certainly could be done.  Some of the details like the teeth could be swapped out for better versions (like, actual separate teeth rather than his dental prosthetics as I've become used to calling them), and I can beef up the scale detail as well.  How many people would be interested in such a thing?  I'd likely not do it right away, it may be a bit down the line.

amargasaurus cazaui

I would think that if the neck can be flexed and moved for normal grazing and eating styles that rearing would not present any unique challenges, but that is just a guess.
My idea for the bust is born from the want of one to project from the base I would display the model itself with, to highlight and show the neck and skull detail for the dinosaur. I had not envisioned anything that highly detailed or different than just using a small section of the existing sculpt, but now I can also see some positives to your take on this as well

postsaurischian

Wow :D! Pose 1 + 2 are must-haves for me.

I'd like it to be as big as possible! Remember Shapeways rule No.1: The bigger the more detailed! It would be a pity seeing all these details fading in 1:40 in white, strong & flexible.
Getting it in more detailed (& expensive) material would make it hard to buy more than one pose and we know that even then some of the detail gets lost during printing process.

Would a 1:30 version even be possible?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: postsaurischian on September 12, 2013, 09:47:27 PM
Wow :D! Pose 1 + 2 are must-haves for me.

I'd like it to be as big as possible! Remember Shapeways rule No.1: The bigger the more detailed! It would be a pity seeing all these details fading in 1:40 in white, strong & flexible.
Getting it in more detailed (& expensive) material would make it hard to buy more than one pose and we know that even then some of the detail gets lost during printing process.

Would a 1:30 version even be possible?
I'd like it a bit bigger too ;D Maybe Gorgonzola would be open to offering a bigger version via private commission? Like I did with my 1/25 Cryolophosaurus.

dutchdinolover

Quote from: Gorgonzola on September 12, 2013, 09:27:35 PM
1/40 and 1/72, as usual!  For Shapeways purposes, that seems to work the best for me - unfortunately anything larger than 1/40 becomes exorbitant to print at the moment.  I'm actually trying to figure out how the heck I can maybe squeeze some of the larger sauropods into their printing restrictions, because I'd love to try and get a 1/72 brachiosaurus or even a 1/40 brachiosaurus going.

Hi there, I love your work.

I really would like to see a big sauropod from you in 1/40 scale. Argentinosaurus or Mamenchisaurus Sinocanadorum would be killer! You  can dived the animal in to pieces. Some simple glue will do the rest of the work.

Would be a long time fantasy come true.

Gorgonzola

Amargasaurus: Oh, yeah, the neck can flex maybe a bit more (providing the spines aren't intersecting.) The bigger issue is the neural spines along the back and tail that are encased in the fleshy hump.

I'll double check Shapeway's printing restrictions.  I know WSF can be bonkers in size, something like 26 inches in length as a max, but it's also the most inferior material out of them.  If you all would like larger size it wouldn't be an issue on my end, but I would like to know a general consensus on what a preferred scale would be.  Or, barring scale, maybe a general length.

The 1/40 and 1/72 scale would be about the same as Carnotaurus, give or take a few centimeters probably. So if you have either of my Carnotaurus in those scales, you can use that as a rough gauge to see what it would be.

I actually just double-checked it on my scale calculator - 1/40 Amargasaurus is 10", 1/72 is 5.5", in the neutral pose everyone has seen.  So the poses will probably come up a little shorter, though they'd still be in scale to those measurements.

Gorgonzola

Quote from: dutchdinolover on September 12, 2013, 10:01:39 PM
Hi there, I love your work.

I really would like to see a big sauropod from you in 1/40 scale. Argentinosaurus or Mamenchisaurus Sinocanadorum would be killer! You  can dived the animal in to pieces. Some simple glue will do the rest of the work.

Would be a long time fantasy come true.

That's an eventual plan, since sauropods are a personal favorite of mine, next to ceratopsians. I was thinking it might be possible to split it into three pieces so neck/head, body, and tail.  Currently figuring out the technical hurdles so I can get a nice, super tight flush against them.

jtn144

These are great! I would like to see another pose with the neck down so you could have two fighting. I would love to see you try an acrocanthosaurus. How is the T -rex coming along?

wings

Quote from: Gorgonzola on September 12, 2013, 06:17:35 PM

The caudofemoral muscle seems to form an unusually deep contour. As shown in an earlier post this condition is very unlikely. The tail base muscle (m.ilio-ischio-caudalis, Romer 1923 http://digitallibrary.amnh.org/dspace/handle/2246/1307, Plate 19  figure 1, Plate 22 figure 2, and plate 24 ) would have wrapped around it (caudofermoral) and lessen the "hard edge" of the contour. Since this tail base muscle is also attached to the tip of the ischium (Romer 1923); the contour is unlikely to cast such a strong shadow at the tail base.

Gorgonzola

Good point Wings, I made an adjustment on that area after you pointed it out.  Looks much better now!

So here are the poses so far - I'm thinking of maybe doing one more, so if anyone has any suggestions, or if they'd like to see one of these replaced, feel free to chime in.  Otherwise I've started to figure out what needs to be done for these guys for printing purposes - for the 1/72 scale Amargasaurus is most likely going to be printed in FD and FUD ONLY.  This is just because of the delicate nature of the spines and tail, if I blow them up to a size that would fit within WSF's parameters it would probably look too goofy.  I'd rather have something that looks a bit better proportion wise and trade off having to print it off in another material.

This brings me to my next question - Some people here have expressed an interest in a larger size - I'd like to get an idea of what sort of acceptable larger scale would be welcomed for this sauropod.  As it stands, it's 10 inches for the 1/40 scale, 5.5 for the 1/72. Would love to hear some ideas on what everyone would want.

tyrantqueen

QuoteGood point Wings, I made an adjustment on that area after you pointed it out.  Looks much better now!

So here are the poses so far - I'm thinking of maybe doing one more, so if anyone has any suggestions, or if they'd like to see one of these replaced, feel free to chime in.  Otherwise I've started to figure out what needs to be done for these guys for printing purposes - for the 1/72 scale Amargasaurus is most likely going to be printed in FD and FUD ONLY.  This is just because of the delicate nature of the spines and tail, if I blow them up to a size that would fit within WSF's parameters it would probably look too goofy.  I'd rather have something that looks a bit better proportion wise and trade off having to print it off in another material.

This brings me to my next question - Some people here have expressed an interest in a larger size - I'd like to get an idea of what sort of acceptable larger scale would be welcomed for this sauropod.  As it stands, it's 10 inches for the 1/40 scale, 5.5 for the 1/72. Would love to hear some ideas on what everyone would want.
I was just wondering, how much of the 10 inches is taken up by the tail? I would suggest 1/30 or 1/35 scale (I am insanely picky about stuff like this ;)), but if people want it in a bigger size that's cool too.

Seeing your Amargasaurus kinda reminded me of this Kaiyodo Amarga I always wanted btw  ;D

Gorgonzola

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 23, 2013, 04:01:55 AM
I was just wondering, how much of the 10 inches is taken up by the tail?

A fair amount.  It looks like the ratio is about 60/40, with the 60% being the tail.

captain jack

Nice work! I'm loving that animal.Would be very interested in 1/40 copy.wheres it printed from?

Gorgonzola

Captain Jack: Thanks!  It'll eventually be available on my Shapeways store.  Right now I'm determining what my final poses will be, then from there comes the task of prepping the models for print (Hollowing them out to reduce costs, inflating things like tail and spine tips to meet print restrictions), and finally doing a couple of test prints to ensure things go somewhat swimmingly.  Then they'll be available for sale and I'll make an announcement on here for those curious.

captain jack

Thanks for that update.Beautiful piece.Shapeways is my new favorite place to spend money.Hahaha!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: